What is your opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
So as Ive been showing and expecially this past week I have noticed that the horses that usually win are AMHR/ASPC miniatures. I know there are some non shetlands that win but it seems more and more the Shetland miniatures are the ones winning. I can understand why, they have the more refined look with a nice long neck that is desired now. But is it really fair for full miniatures to have to compete against shetland miniatures? I have also noticed that alot of people seem to be going towards the shetland miniatures.

I am searching for a new stallion next yr and have begun to wonder if i should find an AMHA/AMHR/ASPC stallion instead of an AMHA/AMHR one.

Whats others thoughts on this?

Alisha

I for one am NOT going shetland, nothing against them, they have their plus and minus points just like every other breed, but if you don't think mini's have nice enough necks or enough "refinement" perhaps you should head on down to the world show in Ft. Worth. I guess I always get my aesthetic money's worth down there!
default_rolleyes.gif

full miniatures to have to compete against shetland miniatures? I have also noticed that alot of people seem to be going towards the shetland miniatures.
I don't know what you are calling a "full miniature", unless you are referring to mini's that only have mini papers. Those have been bred down from shetlands in the past.......

We are making the switch over to ASPC/AMHR registered with a few ASPC thrown in since we do not have any AMHA shows in our area and do not attend them, nor do I care to. We will always have a few R only and a couple of A/R registered, but the shetlands are a lot of fun and then we have two areas to show them in. I like the look of a taller mini/shetland, I think the body is a lot more balanced, and some of the necks are
default_new_shocked.gif
plus you do not have to bend over as far
default_wink.png

Mini's are only a height breed so any horse that meets the height can be a mini.

I used to only have AMHR's but after noticing the refinement that the Shetlands added I switched.

I love the long legs and neck. I want a horse to look like a "big" horse but in a smaller version. In my opinion

the Shetlands help with that look.

My foals this year are more refined vs other years they were stocky, heavy boned, this is my first year of the double registered Shetlands and I haven't been disappointed.
default_smile.png

The "full miniatures" is just me saying not having shetland blood. I realize that miniature is a height breed and that shetlands were used to breed them down but the shetlands now are WAY different then the shetlands used a long time ago to breed miniatures.

I used to not really like the shetlands but lately Ive noticed that ive been liking the shetland miniatures a lot. They have the size of the miniatures but the refinement and necks and legs like the shetlands. But that is were my question lies... is it fair for miniatures that dont have the shetland blood in them to have to compete with the shetland miniatures? You can pretty much look at the horse and tell if it has shetland in it or not. They have a different look.

I think you can have the long necks and long legs by sticking to the Straight Full Blooded miniatures. Sure some of the Shetlands have that- some don't. I just feel it is a shame for people to try to shrink down, lie about size and change a whole beautiful breed, just because they want to show miniature.

Sounds like you are showing at AMHR shows or AMHR/AMHA shows where the judges are mostly AMHR judges. If you went to a straight AMHA show or down to the AMHA World show, you will see Minis that are very refined,upheaded and do not look like ponies.

I have nothing against ponies, but if I wanted to show ponies, I would have them. Shetlands are very pretty, but I like the Miniature horse and the personality that goes with one.

Before you all bash me, yes I know there is pony blood in most all of the Miniature horses, but I find Shetlands to be a bit more difficult to work with, a little taller than I like and well, looking like a pony. Very pretty, but not what I am breeding for.

You have to decide if AMHR is the way you want to go, if so, you should get ponies in your bloodlines.

I love the long legs and neck. I want a horse to look like a "big" horse but in a smaller version. In my opinionthe Shetlands help with that look.
The Minis at the AMHA World show already have long legs, are upheaded and refined. They already look like large horses in Miniature without continuing to add more pony bloodlines. The Shetlands look like ponies, not big horses. I have had people see photos of my horses and were surprised to find out they where Mini's not full size horses, but one does not mistake a Shetland for a large horse.

Riverdance I totally agree with you. Nothing against shetlands but I like my miniatures. I have only been to AMHR shows maybe next yr I will try the AMHA shows and see how that works.

Alisha

Alisha, did you go to the Ohio Show this past week? If you did, did you happen to see the Grand Champion A mare? Just a Full Blooded Straight AMHR mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it fair for miniatures that dont have the shetland blood in them to have to compete with the shetland miniatures? You can pretty much look at the horse and tell if it has shetland in it or not. They have a different look.
My husband had someone give him some Journals from back in the 70's and early 80"s, very neat to look at, and when you do look you see just how much the miniatures and shetlands have changed from then til now. I think anytime the majority strives to breed toward something it does happen faster than you may think. One thing about showing, you do see what is more eye appealing out in the arena and you can try to go home and strive for that yourself and then everyone else is doing the same thing. So, yes there will always be changes (my opinion only for what it is worth
default_smile.png
) in how the mini's and the shetlands look.

Honestly I think the only advantage by going to AMHR/ASPC only is you have to only pay 1 membership, and heck lets be honest here both registeries aren't very friendly when it comes to membership feeds.

If you have people around you that are more into the AMHR horses and you have more AMHR shows around you then yes you will be competing against the miniature shetlands and yes they are the current type that wins. If you have people that like the AMHA horses then trying to sell AMHR/ASPC will be alot harder for you. But you need to go with what you want to breed for, you don't have to go with the AMHR/ASPC trend. Heck there are even AMHR/ASPC/AMHA horses but you don't hear much about them. Its totally up to you.

I prefer my AMHR/AMHA horses. I find they have better attitudes. I'll be honest I do like the look and movement of miniature shetlands but I prefer the 34" and under miniature horses.

I think the key is knowing your judges. Most judges will pick the type of horses they personally like. If you have a judge who is a pony breeder odds are he will pick the more pony in type minis if you have one who is a AMHA or QH breeder odds are they will not pick the pony in type. Has nothing to do with them being good or bad judges you simply can not take the human out of a judge and what one person thinks is correct in type and conformation another may find not at all.

Many people assume if the horse as ASPC papers on it - it will win - not the truth at all there are just as many (pardon the bluntness) ugly APSC horses as there are any other breed. There are just as many incorrect, unbalanced AMHR/ASPC horses as anything else out there.

It is simply a new marketing thing and a fad right now some of them are beautiful some I wouldn't own if they came here for free if you want to show and win you have to keep up with the fads - it is part of the game

That said I do love the ponies and have a ASPC gelding. He is no different personality wise then my minis some are hot some are not the same was true when I worked in a barn full of warmbloods and T/B horses.

I hear many people talk as if a mini shetland is a breed in and of itself which for some reason is a pet peeve of mine.

Before I bought my last two mini's a AMHA/AMHR and a AMHR I was toying w/ the idea of going w/ a AMHR/ASPC or an ASPC as I loved the long legs and necks. But as someone pointed out to me "they" sometimes have a different personality then mini's and I might be biting off MORE then I could chew so to speak. Well I ended up w/ my AMHR who does have long legs and neck even though he's slightly chunky right now and his personality is the best. He's a pest. He's stuck to you like glue, gotta see what your doing all the time. My 30" is a close 2nd. I'm soooo happy I didn't go w/ the AMHR/ASPC or an ASPC, best advice I got. If you see this J thanks your a doll, YOU NEVER EVER steered me wrong. It pays to pay attention to your mentors. TJ

Well I guess it all just a matter of opinion, I do not think my mini/shetlands are any harder to handle than the AMHR horses on the place. The more you handle and work with them the easier they are.

As everyone has said there are pretty minis and shetlands and not so pretty of both too, ditto with personalities, I have to agree I believe it was Lisa that some minis are really hot, and personally I like them that way, just my preference. As far as legs and necks, I bought a filly from Luverne last fall that has legs and a neck to make ANY self respecting shetland blush, so it is just a matter of selective breeding no matter which breed tickles your fancy.
default_smile.png

"I have nothing against ponies, but if I wanted to show ponies, I would have them. Shetlands are very pretty, but I like the Miniature horse and the personality that goes with one.

Before you all bash me, yes I know there is pony blood in most all of the Miniature horses, but I find Shetlands to be a bit more difficult to work with, a little taller than I like and well, looking like a pony. Very pretty, but not what I am breeding for."

I agree -

The Shetlands look like ponies, not big horses. I have had people see photos of my horses and were surprised to find out they where Mini's not full size horses, but one does not mistake a Shetland for a large horse.
I would just like to offer a 180 degree perspective. I have lots of people tell me they would have no idea how tall my horses are just from photos. I also have lots of veternarians and large horse farriers tell me they had no idea that Shetlands could look like mine do.
default_smile.png
The Shetland stereotype is the shall we say "sturdy" pony, but the true Classics are beautiful animals. There are good and bad examples of any breed, but most often people not familar with nice Shetlands ask me, "What kind of horse is that?!"
default_new_shocked.gif

Alisha, I will get back to your original question

But is it really fair for full miniatures to have to compete against shetland miniatures?

This is not a debate between minis and shetlands and what you have and what you like to see the topic is should they compete against each other in the same ring.

And my answer is NO.

I saw it happen this year and there is no way I think its not right to put full minis in the ring with ASPC and expect them to be able to compete fairly. I think its wrong. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

I'm not jumping on that shetland band wagon to keep up with the jones but in all fairness, the two should not be combined in classes.

I think one thing you all have to remember is that AMHA is a breed association. AMHR is a HEIGHT REGISTRY it is not a breed. A registered ASPC or AMHA horse that meets the height requirements can get "hardshipped" into the REGISTRY for a fee. The ASPC is the shetland pony breed association that has been around for YEARS. The AMHR has been around since the late 1980 or early 1990's.

I have a AMHA mare that went over the heght requirment for AMHA so the AMHR was at that time an open registry so I got her registered AMHR. While the AMHR was still open I had purchased a grade mare that was about 37" and I registered her. Now the Registry is closed and to register you animal it has to be registered in a another breed association, meet the height requirement, and pay the fee.

I am a AMHR/ASPC breeder and exhibitor plus I manage shows. I do see difference but I do not see in my animals a difference in personallity from and AMHA to an AMHR horse. I have two mares that are both AMHA and AMHR.

All you have to remember is AMHR is a REGISTRY.

Tracey

The ASPC have the same ideas as this thread has that the classics, foundations, and modern pleasure ponies should not show together and something need to change. The types are all different and when someone can't win in one division then they try the other instead of looking at their animal. I don't like showing my classics against the real extreme but I am proud of what I raise.

I think one thing you all have to remember is that AMHA is a breed association. AMHR is a HEIGHT REGISTRY it is not a breed. A registered ASPC or AMHA horse that meets the height requirements can get "hardshipped" into the REGISTRY for a fee. The ASPC is the shetland pony breed association that has been around for YEARS. The AMHR has been around since the late 1980 or early 1990's.
I have a AMHA mare that went over the heght requirment for AMHA so the AMHR was at that time an open registry so I got her registered AMHR. While the AMHR was still open I had purchased a grade mare that was about 37" and I registered her. Now the Registry is closed and to register you animal it has to be registered in a another breed association, meet the height requirement, and pay the fee.

I am a AMHR/ASPC breeder and exhibitor plus I manage shows. I do see difference but I do not see in my animals a difference in personallity from and AMHA to an AMHR horse. I have two mares that are both AMHA and AMHR.

All you have to remember is AMHR is a REGISTRY.

Tracey

The ASPC have the same ideas as this thread has that the classics, foundations, and modern pleasure ponies should not show together and something need to change. The types are all different and when someone can't win in one division then they try the other instead of looking at their animal. I don't like showing my classics against the real extreme but I am proud of what I raise.

woah... i was under the understanding that AMHR was around BEFORE AMHA.. and that AMHA was still only a height reigstry (although are striving to try to make it a "breed" registry).

Latest posts

Back