Old style minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly2874

Reaction score
So, I have been watching the for sale ads to see if anything pops up. These minis don't look ANYTHING like my mini. My guy is 21 and a tank who has double the bone of minis I have seen, stocky and looks like a small shetland. When I say shetland, I mean the chubby little tanks we all knew growing up- NOT the "shetlands" that are bred today (that look more like little hackneys). I guess I like the old style mini that is stocky with good bone, a short back, and big butt. I am shocked at how crazy refined these minis are nowadays. It's absolutely not my taste at all but to each their own! Where would I look to find an old style mini? Mini Horse Sales and Lil' Beginnings seem to showcase the modern, ultra refined minis. I don't see any in MHW either. Any ideas? Can the old style mini not win in anything anymore? What about performance? Can they, at least, be competitive in performance or not really? I guess there is always pleasure driving and CDE!

I have two "old style" minis. One is 16 and the other is about 10. The one that's ten is one of those "tanks" that you describe. He is 32 inches but looks like a Morgan/draft cross. I have shown both against minis and big horses and usually do much better with them showing against the big horses.
I like the minis you describe much better than the more refined minis for my specific purposes (I drive and I am not exactly skinny, lol) but do appreciate a nicely proportioned refined mini that is correctly put together.
I wonder if the Amish would have more of the substantially built minis.
Do you live anywhere near New Hampshire? There is a new mini rescue there. Maybe they would have something available.

I do not know where you'll find what you are looking for, but my guess is it will be a longer, possibly harder search than the "show-type" mini. You may need to put up "in search of" ads with your criteria.
If I'm not mistaken, the Classic Shetland is a little closer to the old-style UK Shetland, but still more refined (not so Thelwell in type).

Try the facebook groups, I see a lot of them for sale and they sure are less expensive. I tend to like something in between...I want my mini to look like a horse, not a pony. But I also want some substance and bone. As far as showing I think that will depend on the horse. There is a stock horse halter class now and you can jump them or do obstacles. And there are smaller shows that are going to be a lot more older style than newer.

Thank you all for your replies!!

I tried NH group but all horses on their website are adopted and a lot need to be adopted in pairs which I can’t do.

I’m not on Facebook.

Cayuse, do you show against the big horses in a color class (pinto, etc) or are they open to all colors?

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply!

If you are looking for something specific, it might not hurt to post it here. I'm sure there are a few people that would think of you if they saw something that fit what you wanted.

I am sort of getting used to the refined horses, but when I hitch my sturdy boy to the cart and pile on the kids, I know I will always like the sturdy ones best. i marvel at the tiny feet and bones of my refined mare, but she will never do the job of my 1997 model. I definitely think there is a place for the sturdy ones.

Dragonfly, I when I show in halter with the big horses, it is an open class for all breeds. So all colors are welcome. I believe you can also show a pinto mini in a "pinto/paint halter" class along with the big guys at most shows.

Also, there is a newer rescue in New Hampshire, I'm not sure if you checked them out. It is HomeAtLastFarm.org I believe. I do not know what they have available for horses but I have heard good things about them and it is possible they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I let my farrier know I was looking for a specific type of horse because he is busy and gets around and a few weeks later he gave me a contact and it worked out. This last time I let a trainer know I was looking and he ran across a horse for me.
There is a horse out there for you!

Thank you all for sharing your comments and thoughts!

Cayuse, ok great! Thanks!

Willow, yes....I did the same thing! She is keeping her eyes open for me!

I have both types and love both for each of their uses. I also look for good bone and feet that hold up well and muscled rear for sure. I know of a horse you might like but you are so far away and probably looking locally.

Latest posts

Back