What is the youngest you've ever gelded a colt? Any complications?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
What is the youngest you've ever gelded a colt? Were there any complications from doing it so young and would you do it again that young?

(Specifically want to know about colts younger than 6 months)

Three months old. No complications and I'd recommend to do it again.

3 months old also. No complications. The colt was still on his mother and really didn't seem to be bothered much. I still own him (he's 5) and has become my go to guy!

4 weeks old. No complications. No need to exercise as he had to walk/run around with his dam.
default_thumbup.gif

5 and a half WEEKS of age. I have also done one at the same time, at 7 and a half weeks. Other than those, I had several done at 3-5 months of age. I prefer doing them as young as possible. It seems too, that they are much less stressed and recover VERY well if still on their dam. NEVER a problem of any sort.

Thanks everyone! We have a 3 mo old colt that we are planning on gelding this Sunday (if he is dropped..and we have felt both, so should be good to go). His breeder (he is still with his dam at the breeder's farm) talked to her vet about it and that vet made her feel like it was not a good idea. Told her that his guts could fall out ,etc...Actually that can happen with any stallion/gelding, so not sure why he made a comment like that. He has the breeder all freaked out about it. We do own the colt, so can do as we please, but...that vet did not help things. We will bring the colt to the gelding clinic and see what that vet thinks. We, of course, don't want to put the colt in jeopardy with his health, but I was sure that I had read that colts do well having the gelding procedure done at a young age so I thought I'd confirm! ;)

Yeah, Linda, that can happen at any time. When my vet gelded Levi here at the farm he put some stitches in high up inside to guard against that happening, just to reinforce that muscle/tissue (still left the actual scrotum open, of course). In doing that he's never had a case where the intestines fell out
default_smile.png

6 weeks and he never knew they were gone. I'd do any colt I knew I was gelding that young again, no swelling, no pain, nothing!

Risk of evisceration does go up in foals under 3 months old (there was a study, but I wasn't able to find it quickly). The inguinal ring is not 'closed' (the ring never really closes) at birth and becomes tighter at about 4 months after birth.

I have had 3 eviscerations in my career. 1 was a crypt-orchid and the other 2 were in foals under 4 months. Certainly not enough to consider a study, but enough that I now suture the ring as well as the cord (I have always sutured the cord). Unfortunately, although the sutures never fail, the tissue they go through is not strong enough to hold back the abdominal contents and does fail at times.

The good news is that minis are less likely to have 'open' inguinal rings than are draft horses and standardbreds.

My $0.02 worth on the subject is I am less concerned about the risk of being under 4 months done properly and more concerned with the idea of the 'Sunday Gelding Clinic'. I assume this Clinic is being conducted to encourage geldings by offering a reduced rate. As a consumer I would have to wonder what corners are being cut to achieve this reduced price? Is it the anesthesia? the pain management? the environment? the skilled labor? the suture? are instruments going to sterilized between surgeries or are they going to be quickly washed in a detergent and used over and over? will a new scalpel be used? are syringes reused? is the Vet prepared to handle a problem with additional general anesthesia and instruments?

If this colt isn't of much value to you monetarily or emotionally to me, then I get seeking out a cheap price. But, if I liked this colt then I would want the geld to be performed in as risk and pain free way as possible.

Dr. Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
Regularly had big and mini foals done between 8 and 12 weeks with no complications whatsoever- in fact I would recommend it as the foal recovers so much faster. In the "old" days I used to have them done on my field but these days they go into the College as I get a good deal on it with the third year students doing the actual gelding. I would not hesitate to do it, and do, and I would say the main reason the Vet said what he did is because he has no real experience of doing them this small, this young, and did not like to appear ignorant......

Dr Taylor yes this is a rescue group that holds the gelding clinic at the vet's clinic. We had another gelding done by this vet at a similar clinic last year. I being an O.R. nurse watched all their practices. They use a new syringe/needle and scalpel for each injection and doesn't touch the animal until it's well sedated. Any flinching he stops and waits. He actually uses the clamp on the drill method. Cleaning and disinfecting the clamp between each procedure. The stallion was a 4 year old which he gave a post op antibiotic and the horse healed very well with minimal drainage, pain or swelling. Very comfortable with this vet and his work. And I thank everyone and you for your input. It should help calm the breeder's nerves.

On the subject of Gelding Clinics "cutting corners" as far as I can see the only corners they cut are with their own fees, which are often absolutely nothing!

Mikey is a gelding...No fuss, no muss...and he will be a much happier boy! At only 3 months old he was already acting studdy...dropping and nickering at mares (no "baby talk" with his mouth for this boy!)...and vet even said he had "big boy balls"...LOL!

Latest posts

Back