What is the ONE THING you would pass on to newbies

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK here's my opinion on the one thing I could pass onto a newbie is......Don't let someone tell you that you can't do it on your own without a trainer. Yes, you can! No offense to trainers or anything but it's just my opnion. I say this because I have been told this by alot of people. I did't believe. I grew up a hard life being an Army brat and I never having the support from my family. Support in every way also. My parents always told me that I wasn't going to get anywhere because we didn't have the money to do so. Well I bought, trained, showed and supported my first mini on my own. I still have her til this day and now I have two minis though. I got a 8 month old stallion from my husband for Christmas and I can't wait to show him. Even now though I have the oppurtunity to have my horses shown by someone else but I don't want that. I believe if you bought it, you can do it all. Like I said before no offense to all the great trainers out there...

Kinda going off of the Mentor thread what is one single biggest thing yes only one thing that you feel you learned from your mentors I know there is many things we have all learned but say the biggest or most important or most stand out thing

For me the one thing is to truly be able to see the flaws in my horses. No horse is perfect we all have horses with flaws and being blind to them or looking at it as a total failure will only keep me stuck.

There is no failure in admitting where you might have gone wrong, or would want to do different when it comes to a breeding program.

To me the failure is in not being willing to see and admit

if you want to make a small amount of money out of owning minis

start off with a HUGE bank account!

and always ask for advise, if in doubt....check it out!

As a newbie to the miniature world (going on 2 years now..), I really appreciate this thread. The advice is great from people who have been there and done that. =)

I didn't read thru the entire thread, this may have been said but it's a pet peeve of mine. Please take the halters off of your horses when they are loose in the pastures. I know so many people leave them on, even when their horses are tame, it's just a stupid risk to take, why endanger the horse because you're lazy? I know a girl who tied a mare with her foal, tied the mare up so the stud could breed her and she went to town, come home and the poor little mare had broke her neck, can you imagine that poor little thing, trying to protect her new baby and frantically pulling to get loose. I don't feel sorry for the girl, just that poor mare and all the rest of her horses who have to be cared for by an idiot. Do I sound peeved? I am. Just through stupidity, some horses have to die.

I just wanted to edit this to let newbies know, I'm not calling them idiots, the girl who did this has had horses for many yrs. I sure agree with the thread below mine too. I never sell a horses without telling a newbie that there will be medical bills so if they can't afford a vet, don't buy a horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be realistic - IF you can NOT afford to feed, house & properly vet the horse do NOT buy it & find it a good home if you already have one in these circumstances.............. DO the horse a favor let it go - loving it with all your heart will not keep it healthy if you can NOT provide for it properly.

IF you really HAVE TO breed your mare (and that is a big IF) - then you should make the committment to BE THERE for her foaling - these miniature mares are not like their full-size counterparts - and Mother Nature does NOT take care of her own. If it means taking time off of work or hiring someone to stay home and watch, then you owe it to your mare - you put her life in danger when you decide to breed, the least you can do is BE THERE at her most vulnerable hour.

Don't let pictures, pedigree or promotion fool you. It's the horse that counts.

Don't let quanity get in the way of quality in breeding, and do not expect to get rich, if you make a couple dollars call yourself blessed, and a couple hundred call yourself "a miracle has happened"!

Opps, thats two, sorry ya'll!
default_wink.png
:

The first person you hear Talk a Good Game,,,,,,double check to make sure they have all the rules correct.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The single most inportant thing I would tell a newbee that wanted to get into minis, is to first go to a few honest breeders, before buying, and find out what is the desirable conformation of a mini and how to tell if one has a potential problem in a area or not..

Being new to minis, new people may not know what types of problems to recognise, that minis can be pre-disposed to, and may fall prey to a bad selection,- if they only take the word of a seller..

But if made aware of certain conformation criteria, before they make a selection, then the final selection is also made by awareness of the buyer, and not just the word of the seller/breeder. (whether they be a large or small breeder.)

I have spoken to many sorry first time buyers that have learned this lesson the hard way. :no:

default_yes.gif
: Find a Vet who really knows minis, they are NOT the same as big horses!!!! :new_shocked:

1. Find a couple Mini Mentors and pick their brain(s) often.

2. Know there'll be mistakes along the way -- don't beat yourself up - we've all been there

3. Take comfort in knowing that open-minded "old timers" to horses never stop learning

4. Read....read....read! Authors have varying opinions -- a little from each is a good thing!

5. Find a VET whose educated themself regarding minis -- farrier, too!

Finding a vet that knows minis and "making money" on horses - Two very misleading statements. It will take you longer to find a vet that really KNOWS minis than it would to find a "perfect horse" (which we all know doesn't exsist except in our minds). As for "making money" - ain't gonna happen unless you have a printing press somewhere. The few dollars that you might make if you can "buy low" and manage to "sell higher" probably won't actually cover your time (retraining,grooming,etc), feed, transportation, etc.

Biggest advice would be to get into minis for the fun of it and read, watch videos, tag-a-long with an experienced owner, learn for yourself instead of relying on the vet, farrier, and dentist to "know it all" ('cause most won't no matter what they tell you).

Last edited by a moderator:
Your vet, farrier, and dentist are going to be your new best friends, find one that you like, get along with, and knowlegeable with minis.

I always try to remember....there is no such thing as a perfect horse(some come close but if you put that pressure on your first purchases...it can consume you and take out the enjoyment). Meaning everyone has to start somewhere and there is nothing wrong with it....just hold true to yourself and strive to improve the breed the best you can. Buy the best quality horse you can afford and you like and you'd be proud to represent,,, that doesn't mean it has to cost mega bucks. There are good horses all over...shop around.....there is something for everyone if you just look.

It doesn't have to come in a day.....baby steps and enjoy the view/ride along the way. If you don't know something... don't be afraid to ask questions!

NEVER EVER be afraid to ask a question. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Watch people and horses and note whose horses enjoy working for their owners or trainers, thats the proof in the pudding. Don't get overawed by big names or by BS because there is so much of it out there. Watch and OBSERVE. You will learn far more by sitting back and watching the show. Plus don't be intimidated by asking a professional they will gladly help. Ask other peoples opinions but don't take them to heart if they don't match yours and don't ever let anyone tell you you can't reach your goals. Linda B

For me it would be get into minis first of all because you enjoy it! It is not a "money maker" venture to be sure (for us at least!). We got into minis because we absolutely fell in love with our first one (a gelding) and decided we wanted to switch our focus from cattle and goats solely to these little darlings. It is a labor of love here to care for them and if it ever becomes anything else, it is time for us to unload and do something else.
default_yes.gif
:

Finding someone local with knowledge proved a challenge and I think that is another thing a newbie needs - direction to good information. There are LOTS of websites out there with good information. I personally appreciate the mini websites that posted foaling problems, personal accounts, etc. I "learned" through their mistakes or triumphs. :aktion033: Thank you all who take the time to post information !!

Back