What is the ONE THING you would pass on to newbies

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis

Kinda going off of the Mentor thread what is one single biggest thing yes only one thing that you feel you learned from your mentors I know there is many things we have all learned but say the biggest or most important or most stand out thing

For me the one thing is to truly be able to see the flaws in my horses. No horse is perfect we all have horses with flaws and being blind to them or looking at it as a total failure will only keep me stuck.

There is no failure in admitting where you might have gone wrong, or would want to do different when it comes to a breeding program.

To me the failure is in not being willing to see and admit

Do Not Use Quest with Miniature horses
default_bye-sad.gif
:

Teach them how to see that a horse is underweight and not fat with a blown belly and the pointy backbone shape on the but.

It should be a nice round but/croupe, not pointy at the top if you look at it from the back and no blown belly´s.
default_yes.gif
:

To not listen to the person that whispers in their ear, "just give them a cup of grain and they will stay small".

Feel for their ribs thru the hair every week.

Bonnie

Before you even think of buying....work at a rental stable or private barn even if it is only one day a week. Learn what you need to know about proper care, before you bring an animal home.

Feed each individual horse according to its own individual needs - no one diet will work for every horse in your barn. Get used to feeling their body on a regular basis and increase or decrease feed as necessary. You should be able to feel their ribs if you press firmly but there should be a nice layer of fat covering them so that you can't feel them easily with light pressure.

Do Your Homework.
default_yes.gif
:

Research ...Research ...Research

Bloodlines

Conformation

Color ie with LWO

Health Issues

Proper feeding...etc....etc....etc..........

We are here to improve the breed not over populate it. There is nothing wrong with having a loving pet, but as Lisa said don't be blinded by how much you love the horse to talk you into breeding anything that walks.....JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic. My Grand Father taught me to always carry a jacknife and a piece of rope or string in my pocket. Many times one or the other has saved the day.

I say it all the time............"Do your homework -- BEFORE you buy!"

MA

Don't start breeding your minis until you've had miniatures (note, not "just" regular horses) for several years and have a feel for what is show quality. And, this is something most people won't know until they show their horses or have their horses shown.

How many times have I heard someone say that their horse looks just like this other horse??? When the only thing in common is a color as the horses are nothing alike. It seems like a huge percentage of owners are not at all able to look objectively at their own horses.

It bothers me that so many people are breeding such poor quality stallions and mares to make some more pet quality minis.

Check with a vet before administering any meds. Just because symptoms are similar to someone else's situation does NOT mean it is the same thing.

Be ready to learn !! No matter what your age or how long you have had livestock of any type there will be new things to learn. Read, Listen, be open to new ideas.!

Before you even think of buying....work at a rental stable or private barn even if it is only one day a week. Learn what you need to know about proper care, before you bring an animal home.
My thoughts exactly!!! These horses are a FULL TIME COMMITMENT! Please! Those of you out there that are thinking about purchasing a mini or horse........go work and see what it takes to care for one of these animals properly. Not only is care important but learning how to handle one properly. UGH! So many people making so many mistakes and then blaming it on "that crazy horse"! Remind yourself that you have to be home to feed. They need to stay on some sort of a decent schedule. VACATIONS? Another PLEASE! I didn't have a vacation in 25 years with my husband as someone always had to be home. Don't enter horse ownership lightly. I would not trade my life for anything but just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Carol

RESEARCH!! Learn everything you can from bloodlines to maintance before you buy.

Ask and learn about registrations, a foal out of an amhr mare, by an amha stallion cannot be registered without hardshipping. Please learn about how to look at paperwork and be sure it's current,

When you are shopping for a horse for your child, please keep in mind that disposition is VERY important. I don't care how "cute" , colorful, or small that little stud colt is, he's probably even a lot cheaper, but he needs to be gelded, and TRAINED for your child, and an older even 2yr old ( older is good) gelding or filly who is well trained and handled even if they cost a bit more is a much safer bet for your 5-6 yr old child.And worth their weight in gold. no matter what "you think" your child at that age wants, you're the parent and you need to make this a positive experience, for the child, if that's who your 'shopping for really" (even if the color isn't quite "right" in a 6yr old eye,) (just a scenario that has come up recently a couple of times)

and "no" that little one did not get that colorful little stud colt who's as full of himself as he can be, after learning more about the adults and the experience they have with horses.

A miniature horse is more than a color, or specific size. So much more to look for.

Before buying learn what all paperwork should be given with the horse and don't let someone tell you they "will send it later"! As much as we would like to trust everyone it is foolish to do so. Also, if buying out of state make sure the horse has anything the state may require for a sale. Mary

9 times out of 10 you can BUY a better horse than you can breed with a lot less risk of heartbreak!

Not every horse should be bred.

And if you do decide to breed, you are responsible for that horse's well being for the rest of its life because YOU brought it into this world!

If your goal is to eventually breed, do lots and lots of research and soul searching! Remember to get everything in writing when it comes to your very expen$ive herd sire or mare and always remember....it takes a Looonggg time if at all where you can even begin to break even when breeding and selling to the public. Not to mention alot of competition. So if you're not willing to invest the time, MONEY, medical help and resources in your breeding program, don't expect to be successful.

Make sure that you are not financially hurting for money BEFORE you buy your horse, because even if you get a really good deal on a mini, all the little things add up really quickly. Decent care is expensive, and you just never know when something will come up!!!

Latest posts

Back