What is the magic....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
What is the magic cross on a Blue Boy bred mare? I have a mare with a show record, has produced a top ten foal, that I want to breed next year to an outside stallion. I am still learning some of the great crosses and I would like to know what a "great" cross would be, or might be
default_wink.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
default_smile.png

I know Limestone Miniatures has used many Blueboy bred mares to cross with their wonderful Champion Farms Nighthawk stallion. I don't know if they breed him to outside mares, but maybe a son of his could be an option.

I think you have to look at the horse to see what will cross and preferably a proven stallion. Blue Boy mares typically have very thin crests and have full round hips. Rowdy bloodlines do not. That is perhaps the magic of that cross. Buckaroo and Rowdy is another good cross-typically that is. Again you have to look at each horse specifically and if they have foaled look at each of them to determine which would make the best cross. Since you are looking for an outside stallion you have a lot of choices.

Can you check the stud book on line for Blue Boy and see who has won National titles, who the sire/dam were perhaps you can find out that way.

Our double Blue Boy granddaughter crossed with our Buckeroo Grandson have produced several top quality show horses. We love this cross.

Would you possibly be willing to post a picture of your girl? I LOVE Blue Boy bred mares.... The best Blue Boy crosses I've seen lately are with Champion Farms Nighthawk-I'd definitely look into a breeding to him or a son. I also like some of the Buckeroo/Blue Boy crosses. If I found a gorgeous stallion that I thought would compliment my mare though, I wouldn't care what his bloodline was
default_wink.png

Since we own a Boy Blue son (grandson of Blue Boy) I have several Blue Boy bred mares and this is the crosses that have worked for us!

These are out of NFC's Blue Note daughters - Sired by Show Me the Money
default_rolleyes.gif

Maundy3.jpg

Nostalgias Maundy Money - 2008 World Champion and Honor Roll Winner

SpendingMoneySS.jpg

Nostalgias Spending Money - World Top Ten, Honor Roll Winner, and Grand Champion Stallion

ShaqSS.jpg

Nostalgias Shake the Money Maker - Reserve World Champion, World Top Ten, Supreme Halter Stallion

BigSpender.jpg

Nostalgias Big Spender - World Top Ten

MajorBucks.jpg

Nostalgias Major Bucks - National Top Ten and Grand Champion Halter Horse

Nostalgias Cash the Check - World Champion (this little filly is under 30" and very beautiful!)

... to list a several.

These are out of NFC's Blue Note daughters - Sired by an Orion son - Brewers Orion Bright Future

SixSigmaHead.jpg

Nostalgias Six Sigma - World Top Ten (3rd), Eastern Grand Champion, sire of numerous World Champions and Reserve World Champions - One of our Main Herd Sires
default_smile.png

WinningEdge.jpg

Nostalgias Winning Edge - World Top Ten

* Sorry the pictures are a little large *

As you can see the Blue Note daughters have crossed quite well with our stallions and are very successful in the Show Ring and in the Breeding Shed.
default_wub.png

Hope this helps,
default_saludando.gif

Natalie

Here is a pic of my mare,

dry_creek_ranch003023.gif

Natalie, do you stand your studs?? I have always admired your horses!!

ok my picture is not coming up :arg! , so you can see her on my website under mares, DSB Fine Wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back