What is the heighest your mini has jumped?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
I'm just very curious to see what minis can jump according to their height.

my 33.5" gelding can jump 38"

CORRECTION: he can jump 38, not 28 haha

Last edited by a moderator:
My show mare is doing her first AMHA jumper classes this weekend. She has come a long way and maxes out at 37". AMHA jumps can go up to 44", but she just cant get herself up that high. She tries her hardest and I am pleased at how high she gets so I dont push her. We will see how she does.

Edit: Oh and she is also 33.5 "

We show jumper at PtHA and also at one AMHR show and we don't try to see how high our 32 1/2" mare can jump. The New England Pinto jumps only go as high as 30" so we make sure she can jump that height comfortably. Because you have to jump CLEAR (or with the lowest number of faults) to advance to the next round, we feel that consistency is at least as important as height. She has done pretty well just being consistent and jumping 30" with ease.

These little critters are ATHLETES! I used to have a little 32" gelding that could clear 3 36" jumps in a row without breaking a sweat!
default_laugh.png

NFC Egyptian King's Contessa was all of about 29 1/2" and I think her record was 39", although I know she attempted 41 1/2" (don't know if she ever cleared that height though)

I saw a 35" mare jump a 52" pipe gate, from a stand still, to avoid being caught !

I don't know the height... and this was a hunter class with one of my horses, Triple H Derby Day Miracle (National Top 5), and my former trainer. He and most of the horses were scared of this jump (which was removed after Derby's go). But I know THIS is the highest he ever jumped, and I love how he kept his form. It's actually one of my favorite pictures of him.

Derby-WCMHR-Hunter.jpg

I also have a 37" B gelding, Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold, who can jump a 52" cattle panel when the mood strikes him
default_rolleyes.gif

We have a few ponies who jump well, and enjoy it which is just as important.

Our 35" rescue gelding who has vision problems can easily jump 30".. however... we have to tell him when to take off.. which can catch some of the girls who help me out as i have seen him just charge though a jump before since he can't see it properly!

Tigga-MHOYS3.jpg

My 35" mare can jump 33" at home.. but refuses to in competition..

PiperJumping4June07.jpg

My 33" gelding will jump about 26-28", although he lacks confidence at the bigger jumps so you really had to gee him on.

BadgerJumping3Apr09.jpg

The 2 about who have a daughter who has jump started jumping.. easily clearing 33" at home... however refused to jump at the show.. instead she would walk up and cat leap the jumps.. we did this with her jumping 27" before she decided she couldn't catleap any higher!

ChaosJumping3Apr09.jpg

My 32" stallion could jump 36".. but had no breaks on landing so we could only do one jump! lol

My 31" mare will jump 30" if she is excited enough, 28" easily.

There 2yr old son has been jumping 18" for a year (out of his stable.. over the bar from a stand still! lol) I'll be interested to see how high he will jump when we do start him..

I haven't actually measured how high Jay jumps but I know that he can jump the height a barrel standing up when the mood strikes him. He get's a little uneasy when he has me running next to him.

I saw a 35" mare jump a 52" pipe gate, from a stand still, to avoid being caught !
Jay does something similar. He has a pen made of some of the green sheep panels. He jumps them when the mood strikes him, not as a way to avoid being caught, but to start a game of chase. He loves to watch the kids try to catch him when he's running full speed. He also will jump the extra wide wheelbarrow from a stand still when the kids clean his stall with him in it.

_DSC8773websize.jpg

OUr three time world champion OPen Jumper, and two time reserve jumper, Iona Excalibur, routinely jumps 44" at almost every AMHA show. In April at the Ohio Equine Affaire we mis set the jumps and found after the fact that he had been jumping 46". He is 32" himself. We have figured porportionately that a 16 hand horse would have to jump an 18 ft fence to match this 44"jump.

OUr three time world champion OPen Jumper, and two time reserve jumper, Iona Excalibur, routinely jumps 44" at almost every AMHA show. In April at the Ohio Equine Affaire we mis set the jumps and found after the fact that he had been jumping 46". He is 32" himself. We have figured porportionately that a 16 hand horse would have to jump an 18 ft fence to match this 44"jump.

Wow!

That is an incredible 32-inch mini, being able to jump 46 inches.

Does he over-jump in Hunter classes, or adjust to the height of the jump and skim right over it?

Not sure how high this particular jump is but I know this girl has cleared about 4ft though. She is a 37 inch mare though.

1f96ef08.jpg

8e217702.jpg

I am not going to argue that that is a VERY impressive feat, but I don't know how you get that it compares with a 16H horse jumping an 18 foot fence.

I get that it would compare to a fence about 7 1/2 feet". Still pretty impressive!! If your mini jumps 46", that is about 1.4 times his height. 1.4 times the height of a 16 H horse is 23 hands, or 92 inches. 92 inches =7.7 feet. (Slightly less for a 44" jump).

The highest our mare ever jumped was 42" and that was when she got up to the jump stopped then from a dead stand still cleared it... her better looking jumps and the easiest for her were around 40" that were consistant and she just flew over them and seemed to feel good after...we believe that was her limit without putting her under stress and she did them even when she was 5 months in foal....her daughter now can clear about 30" and she's very tiny at under 28" tall and loves to jump everything from feeders to water troughts. l think jumping runs in some lines as all the minis from this line have and can jump ...the down side was they all sucked at hunter because of over jumping. On the other hand to my disappointment my fave guy couldn't jump his way out of a paperbag if his life depended on it and does hunter that makes you turn your head and laugh.. so l believe some are born to jump and never need practice while others need a hand and hopefully time to learn...
default_biggrin.png

DCjumpingatcalgary.jpg

WOW. I am impressed! I never thought minis were such high jumpers!

ariandcourthorseshots021.jpg

this is my 31 inch gelding bacardi he jumps 38 no problem however my poles do not go any higher i think he could do more

Back