What is the EARLIEST time of the year you should???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
Breed your mares?? I am in Florida so I dont have to worry too much about the cold weather so.......

What is the best/earliest time you should breed??

Thanks!!

When I used to raise and show my full sized Appaloosa's, I always bred the mares so they would foal in January. I did a lot of halter and halter futurity classes with the young'uns, so I wanted them weand and growing nicely for the shows. They were always born with a full heavy coat and never had problems with the weather. From day 1, they even got outside every day unless it was icy.

If I ever decided to raise Mini's I would probably do the same if I decided to halter the babies.

BTW...I live in Maine where we do have some nasty cold weather.

You definitely don't want to breed until the beginning of March, as if your mare foals in Dec on Jan 1st the foal will turn a year old even if they are only 1 month or so!!

Lucy

I will NEVER again breed for a Feb. Foal. The year I did it was a very cold and snowy year and it warmed up to 4 degrees the night my mare foaled.

I totally agree with NOT breeding before March...it may be warm in Florida most of the time but this year it's been rather cold this winter! My brother was in Lake Wales over the weekend and it was only in the 30's!
default_new_shocked.gif
Here in Maine, I do not breed before April! WAY TOO COLD FOR NEW FOALS before then!
default_wink.png

It would be different for you in FL, but I don't breed until the end of April, early May. My mares tend to foal from 300 days to 320 so that would make some of them foal in late March and that's early enough for me! Too cold here then still.

I really like the foals to come in late April early May. This year we are expecting some in Late Febuary March and hope it warms up here some in Michgan.For us that is early since Michigan weather can change from one minute to the next.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will find for the most part allot of the breeders plan specific crosses early on as those are the foals they plan to take to nationals, that way the foal is more so matured up nice come sept rather then just weaning and taking that chance of them possibly going through a rough weaning. If you look at nationals, all of the weanlings showing are Febuary/March babies.

Here in Ohio, it will be cold up until around March or so....so i've tried to plan my foals to arrive around April / May, atleast that is how it worked out this year. If you are down south, then having a January of Febuary baby you will probably be fine, i think foaling for the April / May / June is fine, i may leave a mare or two open next year so i can get her back on track for foaling earlier for the following breeding season.

I like end of Feb/ beginning of March babies.

Im here in the lowermain land of BC Right by Lynden Washington.

I have heat lamps and lots of blankets for the babies. And I ALWAYS watch them or try and watch them foal. But even with the camera and stuff on them they are sneaky.

I always have straw on hand and like I said above heat lamps.

billiethekid40.....THANK YOU!!! People, you have GOT TO STOP BREEDING.

Pam

Another thing to keep in mind is the fertility of your mare. Most mares (not all) are not that fertile until spring when the days are longer. Then they are in their prime. If you want to breed in winter you may have to use lights in the barn to fool the mares into thinking its spring.

I generally prefer mine to be born in march and april but its just not always possible

Latest posts

Back