What is the difference between...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novachick

Reaction score
Both are sweet feeds, and both are made by Purina, right? Is there a difference, is one better than the other? Are there big cost differences?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with the country star feed however, here is how it was explained to me by my feed mill.

They did not carry Purina as such however, they carried a Land Of Lakes product called Merit Complete.

That was what I was feeding. They then started to carry Purina and discontinued the Merit feeds. Purina made them both and the Horsemans Edge Complete was the comparable product. I checked the feed labels and found them the same however the Purina Horsemans Edge was more expensive. It appears that Purina makes several feeds under their umbrella and have consolated and now they just sell the HOrsemans Edge at our mill.

Hi

Yes, Purina makes a lot of different feeds. Omalene is a better feed by far, better ingredients, minerals and so on than Country Acres. I do occassionaly buy different feeds, by Purina and others, I always return to Strategy or Omalene, it is by far the best feed to feed.

Purina has a new feed now, Crossroads it a "all stock feed" sweet feed? My horses are doing very well on this feed, it is very inexpensive compared to other Purina feeds. I still feed my show horses Strategy and Omelene.

MiniV, as for comparing ingredients on bags of feed. Most are generic in terminoloy and do not tell you what "grain by products is" or other such wording. Most seem to say the same thing. The % of protein, fat, fiber etc will be different. It also does not say where the protein comes from. Some cheaper feeds now by other distributors are high in protein and lower in fat. "They say" they are adding protein to the feed? Protein is not the only thing a horse needs for a balanced diet and I'm sure many on here can explain what they really need. I have also noticed that Strategy is not the same feed it was a year or more ago. It takes less of it for your horses to eat and maintain the same weight. (Yes this is a good thing, but makes you wonder what they did to it).

B

Whenever we are considering changing feeds, we by one bag of the other brand and compare the ingredient tags......AND the cost, of course.

HUGE difference. Country Acres is a "filler" feed. As our feed rep calls it "A 50 pound sleeping pill, you can sleep knowing you put something in your horses stomach...that is it!"

There is no comparision between the 2 products!!

Country Acres feed is low quality and not very good for miniatures, stick to Omeline, Blue Seal, ect. You do do get any results buying that "Country Acres" feed, I was told its like feeding sawdust pellets to your horse, its just something to fill their bellys, not a good idea.

I agree with the evaluation of the stradegy and the omeline as being top of the line feed for mini's. We have tried a number of different other feeds over the last 10 years or so and always end up back at the Omeline and stradegy band wagon.
default_smile.png

I can add one more of thier products to that wagon and that is the the product known as Race Ready, for our show horses it did an excellent job this last year on a couple of them that we tried it on after being urged to by our factory rep. that visited. If you do not want to have to add all the extra little things you do for a show ration this is a good way to go as it has so many things already there.
default_wink.png

Thanks everyone, glad I saw these responses before I went to the feed store. I switched over from the Country Acres to Omolene. I was wondering why Purina doesn't even list Country Acres on their website! Makes sense now!

Country Acres is a low end Purina feed and milled by Purina

(I was told this yestarday by my feed man when I saw it laying on the floor in his store and I inquired)

Latest posts

Back