What is fair market valve???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvcsherman

Reaction score
What do you think the fair market valve would be for a 16 yr old 26" stallion? I have been out of the business since 1996 & I'm looking to purchase him as basicly just a pet but do not know how much to offer his current owner, BTW, I REALLY WANT THIS LITTLE BOY!
default_wub.png
:

Fair market value depends of supply and demand. Do they have to get rid of him? Is he reg? Healthy? Trained in driving, riding etc? Hay is high and demand is low so I think you have a shot at a good deal. Esp since he is a stallion, will you geld him? ALl things to think about.

It could be as little as $500 up to ?????????????

Bottom line, I guess, is what's he worth to YOU
default_yes.gif
:

I just went thru this with an Amish neighbor. 32" chestnut mini recently gelded, had bad manners :eek: , would I want him and for how much. I tried to kindly explain,

1) I'm not looking to buy especially a recent gelding with my mares

2) price depends on alot

3) is he registered, yes he was R a ways back but not current

4) horse's condition...feet trimmed, flesh, coat, general attitude

5) what can he do

I told him he could be worth $300 or $3000 depending on what someone is willing to pay for him. I did go look. The horse was in fine flesh, a bit thinner than I like. Feet were a bit rough, chips and a wee bit long but healthy, cost would be a bit much to bring him permanent, and he was most definitely a strong personality, not a pasture pet "yet". He wasn't dangerous but cautious.

IF I were buying for a pasture ornament I would've paid no more than $500 as he had begun learning to drive but wasn't really into it yet because of the gelding. Short necked, long backed, cowhocked but I bet cleaned up he'd have been very nice. They sold him for $450.

IF you are looking to buy your guy and he has no price tag...make an offer of what you wish to pay, less $100 and see what kind of deal they'll make. They call it horse trading you know. Now before anyone gets outraged at that term, I use it with respect. I have always dickered over the price of horses. Sometimes the price comes down, sometimes not, but it never hurts to make an offer. If it is repectfully a proper amount and not an insult.

The Amish fella understood well, knew he didn't have time or a real job for this guy. Wanted him originally for breeding but realized he wasn't good enough. I commended him on the gelding. This boy will heal, and be taught to ride a little child and maybe later even finish driving school.

SO the long and short of it is...what do "you" feel he is worth to you? $500...$1000...kinda depends on if you'll be gelding him. If so, many folks will knock the price down by around $300. Good luck. For me IF I was buying him for purely a love boy and not for breeding I'd start at $750 just in case I had to geld him. Some older stallions are pure love bugs and don't "need" gelding if they don't have mares around.

Free to a good home to 3-5 hundred dollars unless the stallion has correct conformation, has sired several nice breeding foals, has an impressive show record etc etc............ If pet quality, no nice foals on the ground, no show record, health problem, neglected condition - any of these - couple of hundred but I would say free again to a good home.

AMHA/AMHR? Show history? Training? Color? What part of the country? health? All these things add up. Sorry I am no help without more info.

I do not want to disclose too much & risk someone else buying him :eek: He is a beautiful pinto that has produced super tiny pinto babies, his current owner paid $10,000 for him 3 yrs ago. She sounds like a wonderful woman with some VERY big name horses. She has not had a chance to breed him since she has owned him. She told me to make her an offer but I am not wealthy & I do not want to offend her with a low offer, I'm affraid she will not take me seriously. I want to get this little guy back, I last him once before & this time I'm willing to do all it takes to keep him!

Latest posts

Back