What is Cross???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julieb

Reaction score
Good morning, well in my search for my little one i have come across the description of having a cross and no cross......what does this mean???
default_unsure.png
: Thanks in advance

P.S. and do i want a cross ??? (don't laugh)

Last edited by a moderator:
A cross is the mark on their back. There is a legend about how the donkey got his cross. There are folks that think that only a certain type of donkey has the cross but in my opinion....they all have it you just can't see it on some.

It is a line that runs the length of their back and then has bars over their shoulders, looks like a cross.......

Wether you want it or not is entirely up to you. It doesn't affect the conformation, or attitude, it's just a marking.

A cross is the mark on their back. There is a legend about how the donkey got his cross. There are folks that think that only a certain type of donkey has the cross but in my opinion....they all have it you just can't see it on some.

It is a line that runs the length of their back and then has bars over their shoulders, looks like a cross.......

Wether you want it or not is entirely up to you. It doesn't affect the conformation, or attitude, it's just a marking.
Interesting thank you, i have noticed it was only the dark ones that it is mentioned

[SIZE=24pt] [/SIZE] The Donkey's Cross[SIZE=10pt](version 2) by Mary Singer[/SIZE]

"Bring me the colt of a donkey," was the Master's request.

A young donkey was brought to Jesus to
jesus_on_donkey.jpg
carry Him into Jerusalem.

A week later Jesus was ordered crucified.

The little donkey loved the Lord that he wanted to help Him carry the cross.

But alas, he was pushed away. The sad little donkey waited to say goodbye until nearly all had left.

As he turned to leave, the shadow of the cross fell upon his back and shoulders.

And their it has remained, a tribute to the loyalty and love of the humblest of God's creatures.

Julie, not all donkeys have a cross. There is the legend of the cross with the donkey carring Jesus, but its a legend. 99.9% of donkeys that have a dorsal will have a shoulder stripe, even if its only 1" long. In fact..in some breeds of donkeys if they do have a cross the breed is considered not a purebred, as having a cross would show a sign of outcrossing. I am talking about Poitous donkeys,which is a very rare breed and large breed. Almost all donkey do have a cross however, alot of times its just very hard to see it, especially on the blacks or deep chocolate browns. My blue eyed ivory dont have one, but my grays all do. Hope this helps you understand it. AND, we wont laugh at you, this forum is a good place to learn everything we just dont know..and the only way to do that is by asking. So ask away.
default_yes.gif
: We have some seasoned donkey owners on here, and they all try to be helpful.
default_wink.png
: Corinne

Julie, not all donkeys have a cross. There is the legend of the cross with the donkey carring Jesus, but its a legend. 99.9% of donkeys that have a dorsal will have a shoulder stripe, even if its only 1" long. In fact..in some breeds of donkeys if they do have a cross the breed is considered not a purebred, as having a cross would show a sign of outcrossing. I am talking about Poitous donkeys,which is a very rare breed and large breed. Almost all donkey do have a cross however, alot of times its just very hard to see it, especially on the blacks or deep chocolate browns. My blue eyed ivory dont have one, but my grays all do. Hope this helps you understand it. AND, we wont laugh at you, this forum is a good place to learn everything we just dont know..and the only way to do that is by asking. So ask away.
default_yes.gif
: We have some seasoned donkey owners on here, and they all try to be helpful.
default_wink.png
: Corinne
Thanks Corinne i find it very interesting, i love learning new things i try and obsorb as much as i can...i am thankful for all of the knowledgeable people on the forum :aktion033:

Back