What is a Toboggan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They used to call them Icebox because that is what they used, Ice, to keep stuff cold. Didn't have refrigerators. Who remembers a milk shute? Or taking out the klinkers.
We had a milk chute! When we'd get locked out of the house, we'd squeeze the littlest kid through to go open the door (we had six kids in our family). :eek: I remember the "Twin Pines" milkman would leave our milk and dairy in there.

giggle1.gif

This is a tobaggan. It is a wooden sled that holds multiple kids that rolls up in the front

boggan.jpg

Hus also calls a knit cap his "boggan"

I said no, that is simply called an OJ Knit cap period

Well our family is British so for us breakfast is breakfast, dinner is lunch, and tea is dinner. It actually is quite good as breakfast (from a dietician's point of view) is supposed to be your largest meal, with lunch being your second largest meal and dinner is only supposed to be very small. Hence the giant full english breakfasts which fill you up for about five hours. Really quite a good idea considering it was started prior to all of this dietician business. A lot of the time I have to change that around because true Canadians don't understand so if I don't say dinner I'll say lunch and if I don't say tea I'll say dinner. I can only think of one person who calls dinner supper and she is from Montreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being french speaking but in Ontario (Canada) breakfast, lunch and dinner (if formal) supper (which is souper in french) for a more family oriented 3rd meal of the day :bgrin . In french I use dinner (pronounced deenay in english) (which is dinner) for the english word lunch. I belive parisien french use "petit dejeuner" for breakfast, dejeuner for lunch and dinner for supper
default_wacko.png
:

Tonight we are having "souper" or "supper" because we are having homemade meatballs in gravy, potatoes, carrots and a baguette of french bread and wine :bgrin because it's HOCKEY NIGHT!!! GO SENS GOOOOOOOOOO. WOOHOO. Tomorrow night we are having "dinner" (deenay in french pronounciation), dinner in english because we are having primerib roast, yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes and baby carrots,

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up with breakfast, dinner and supper-- in that order. Didn't use the word lunch until I grew up and left the house.

We used to wear stocking caps-- those long knit caps that had a pompom on the end.

We called it a couch and a sofa was fancy-schmancy.

Just so you know, we used to play with dirt and make stuff with the clay we found in the yard. And turn over cow flaps to look at worms and bugs. And we would spend days each year clearing out the rocks from the vegetable garden because seems to me we grew more rocks than squash.

Do you pronounce coupon as coo-pon or cue-pon?

lol i've never heard of a hat being called a taboggin. We have a mountain here that does big toboggin races every year. guess it draws crowds from all over the country. They get this giant chute (looks like a straight down water slide that ends on a lake..lol) and they ice it up good and time how fast people get going. looks like a blast. one of these days i'm actually going to go try it. I think the person who put down the differnt photo's of a toboggin and a sled is dead on. we also have the cheapy plastic "sleds" from the store but the toboggin is the flat sled with no runners and a curved front. They can be rather dangerous as someone else mentioned a broken ankle and all sorts of things. I remember hating them when i was a kid because the snow would fly up over the front and land right in your face!!! I guess they also are quite unsafe if you run into anything because you will slam into the curved front and has caused lots of serious injuries over the years. I LOVE those new kid sleds that are flat with a plastic bottom and a foam upper..those things FLY! if you get a good packed down surface or crust you can go super fast and for a long ways! hehe another thing that flys is a snowboard if you sit on it and go down a slope..it's not very advisable..hehe but wheni was learning to snowboard i got so frustrated and fed up i took it off and sat on it..lol it got going SOOO fast i had a hard time getting it to stop using my feet lol.

Basically there is truly a difference between the two just like there's a difference between a 'sleigh" and a "cutter". most people do not know this and call everything with runners that you hitch to a horse a sleigh but a sleigh must have two or more seats. A cutter is a one bench seat. it can fit more than one person but only has one seat. A portland cutter is a cutter as it only has one seat and not truly a sleigh. yes it is just easier to call it a sleigh because that's what everyone knows them as even though it's not the correct term.

HAHA reminds me of nationals, hanging out with Erica and all the other "Arkansas" folk, we were comparing words a lot....I told them about touque being a winter hat...and poutine (grave and cheese on fries) but then again I had never heard of a "bloomin onion" until I was down there eaither LOL....A lot of sayings are difforent here in the north too...its fun how difforent things can be from not too far away
default_smile.png

Never in my life heard the word Tobaggan or touque or poutine or any of this stuff lol.

Here in Ohio, atleast in my family a sled is a sled, anything you slide down a hill on in snow is a sled. No fancy names lol. Those sock type hats you wear in winter here in ohio are just called 'winter hats' lol. We dont use the fancy names
default_smile.png

Its so funny though, last year was my senior year in high school and one of our foreign exchange students was from Germany and they have such obvious names for stuff. Like for gloves, instead of calling them 'gloves' they are called 'Hand Socks'. And insulated hats are called 'head warmers'. There are so many funny ones she taught us lol. I just thought it was kind of 'out there' lol.

default_smile.png

POUTINE!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there any other better way to clog one's arteries??? No, I thought not! haha. Ohhh how delicious.
default_aktion033.gif

Cheese hunks melted over hot french fries and gravy poured over that! Then some people add ketchup...either way it's amazing. Out of Montreal if I am not mistaken.

Or Crepes oh now that is just delicious. My favourite is proper whipped cream and strawberries stuffed inside the crepe with some of the leftover strawberries and cream on the ouside. Nothing beats that!

well I, too, was born and raised in Texas, and we called them TABOGANS. knit caps with a yarn ball on top. Where I lived in Texas we had snow drifts sometimes as high as the house on one side and bare ground on the other. They made perfect slides. We would climb out the upstairs window put down some cardboard then shoot down to the bottom, then back in and do it all over again.

We also had klinkers too, but those were the metal plates on the top of our stoves. When you removed the klinker from the stove you could see the fire.

We had Breakfast Dinner and Supper. Carried water in pails ( buckets) had alladin lamps with mantels.

Mercy am I that old?

Latest posts

Back