WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
default_risa8.gif
Where do I start. First they are alot like teenagers. Is there any way to get into mischief, absolutely and they will find a way. They tend to be loving and caring animals. They have certainly taught me to be

patient. While waiting for a foal to be born I have slept not only in the barn, but in the stall with my mare

only to wake up and find her sleeping right beside me. I was between her and the wall praying to god she

wouldn't decide to move over. Even though you know they are totally ready to pop "the watch pot never

boils" is one of the most true phrases I have ever heard. Just turn your back, walk away, be distracted,

and when you return. The honery little fart is walking around the stall, proud to be born. I have learned

some new words from this happening to me. Another thing I have learned. The stallion is not the boss.

He might think he is but trust "Not True".

I have learned that horses do not need fingers. They can turn an unlocked padlock and then poke it out

of the hole with their upper lip. They can somehow magically remove a bucket w/snap from the wall where

it hangs very quickly and then look at you like you are the crazy one. They can magically slip out of a

blanket and it is still hooked. They are truely magicians. They have taught me that given the opportunity

to live as a family unit they prefer it. They know for years and recognize their own. I guess they are like

whales in that respect. As a sample. I took my stallion to a show at the fair. He hadn't seen his son for

a few years. He placed himself between his son and the horses in the class and let them know he was

ready to defend him at all cost.

I have a mare who loves small children. When she hears them playing in the neighborhood she will run

the fence and scream and call to the kids. It's as if she is telling them to come to her and she will take

good care of them. A mother to her own feels a strong mothering instinct to all children in the world.

They can climb on her and she will stand like a statue for them. You can watch her and tell that she is

doing what she was born to do.

I have learned that everyone was put on this earth to fullfill a special purpose. There are some of us who

were lucky enough to be put her to care for the animals of our world. I am one of those. My horses are

well cared for, fed properly and their feet are cared for. They are happy. There are 5 horses here. My two mares are full sisters, My stallion Jimmy lives with his son Koda. They sometimes argue but don't even try

to separate them. Then there is Duckie who lives with Jasmine her Dam and Ariel her Aunt. They are lost when one is taken away. This is a family in every sense. They take care of each other. No fighting over feed. They can eat from the same bucket and there is no fighting. They will take turns grabbing a bite.

I have also learned that horses are no different than any other living being. They become attached and fond of their people as long as they are treated fairly. They bond. I have had my three original horses for about 13yrs they like being home with me. They show their love for me in alot of ways. When my stallion is not

at home he actually shows signs of depression. Laugh I don't care it is true. It strains his comfort level. Imagine being hauled somewhere not knowing how to communicate and being left their for strangers to take care of. How truly scary that would be.

Another thing I have learned is when giving shots, if it is Ariel, give it quickly and don't be nice, stand by her front and give her hugs and scritches to make her feel better. She will very intentionally shift her weight and stomp on your foot. Don't believe me just ask the vet. She got the vet twice. I won't mention what the vet

threatened to do next time she gave her a shot.

I guess the last thing I learned was when driving my stallion, he has a way of looking tired and drug out like he can't walk another step. But the minute you remove that harness all his energy magically returns and boy can he run, buck, and fart. It has worked for him so many times.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this. As I write this they stand in their barns eating their breakfast and staying dry. We live in Oregon and the rain starts in October and hopefully will end in May. They are happy and healthy. I hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year and a very very prosperous New Year. My family sends all their love for you to receive only good wishes for all.

Yup, I love to read your missives...wonderful. Nice to see you back on!

Oh so ture!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have tears on my eyes. As my husband is outside cleaning the manure and I am too sick to go outside, Horses have taught us that they are always waiting for us and no matter what they are here waiting for luv!!!

default_risa8.gif
Where do I start. First they are alot like teenagers. Is there any way to get into mischief, absolutely and they will find a way. They tend to be loving and caring animals. They have certainly taught me to be

patient. While waiting for a foal to be born I have slept not only in the barn, but in the stall with my mare

only to wake up and find her sleeping right beside me. I was between her and the wall praying to god she

wouldn't decide to move over. Even though you know they are totally ready to pop "the watch pot never

boils" is one of the most true phrases I have ever heard. Just turn your back, walk away, be distracted,

and when you return. The honery little fart is walking around the stall, proud to be born. I have learned

some new words from this happening to me. Another thing I have learned. The stallion is not the boss.

He might think he is but trust "Not True".

I have learned that horses do not need fingers. They can turn an unlocked padlock and then poke it out

of the hole with their upper lip. They can somehow magically remove a bucket w/snap from the wall where

it hangs very quickly and then look at you like you are the crazy one. They can magically slip out of a

blanket and it is still hooked. They are truely magicians. They have taught me that given the opportunity

to live as a family unit they prefer it. They know for years and recognize their own. I guess they are like

whales in that respect. As a sample. I took my stallion to a show at the fair. He hadn't seen his son for

a few years. He placed himself between his son and the horses in the class and let them know he was

ready to defend him at all cost.

I have a mare who loves small children. When she hears them playing in the neighborhood she will run

the fence and scream and call to the kids. It's as if she is telling them to come to her and she will take

good care of them. A mother to her own feels a strong mothering instinct to all children in the world.

They can climb on her and she will stand like a statue for them. You can watch her and tell that she is

doing what she was born to do.

I have learned that everyone was put on this earth to fullfill a special purpose. There are some of us who

were lucky enough to be put her to care for the animals of our world. I am one of those. My horses are

well cared for, fed properly and their feet are cared for. They are happy. There are 5 horses here. My two mares are full sisters, My stallion Jimmy lives with his son Koda. They sometimes argue but don't even try

to separate them. Then there is Duckie who lives with Jasmine her Dam and Ariel her Aunt. They are lost when one is taken away. This is a family in every sense. They take care of each other. No fighting over feed. They can eat from the same bucket and there is no fighting. They will take turns grabbing a bite.

I have also learned that horses are no different than any other living being. They become attached and fond of their people as long as they are treated fairly. They bond. I have had my three original horses for about 13yrs they like being home with me. They show their love for me in alot of ways. When my stallion is not

at home he actually shows signs of depression. Laugh I don't care it is true. It strains his comfort level. Imagine being hauled somewhere not knowing how to communicate and being left their for strangers to take care of. How truly scary that would be.

Another thing I have learned is when giving shots, if it is Ariel, give it quickly and don't be nice, stand by her front and give her hugs and scritches to make her feel better. She will very intentionally shift her weight and stomp on your foot. Don't believe me just ask the vet. She got the vet twice. I won't mention what the vet

threatened to do next time she gave her a shot.

I guess the last thing I learned was when driving my stallion, he has a way of looking tired and drug out like he can't walk another step. But the minute you remove that harness all his energy magically returns and boy can he run, buck, and fart. It has worked for him so many times.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this. As I write this they stand in their barns eating their breakfast and staying dry. We live in Oregon and the rain starts in October and hopefully will end in May. They are happy and healthy. I hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year and a very very prosperous New Year. My family sends all their love for you to receive only good wishes for all.

I really enjoyed reading your post.What you said is so true.My horses are like part of my family.Each 1 is different and very special.I am at the stage in my life when I must part with some of them for my well being and for them, but it has to be the right owner. 4 of them are wondeful producing broodmares, but they deserve a new home where they will be accepted and loved anyway in spite of the quirks in their personalities.

You missive made me smile on this gray rainy day.........

Each horse is definitely an individual, and you sure know your's!

MA

Shortpig: "I guess the last thing I learned was when driving my stallion, he has a way of looking tired and drug out like he can't walk another step. But the minute you remove that harness all his energy magically returns and boy can he run, buck, and fart. It has worked for him so many times."

Do you suppose that's a "stallion" thing? I have one that acts like that too.

Here, Here Marie!! Thank you for posting that.

Though with Maggie,,, when we are driving and I am done... she's like... "are we done already"???? She loves driving. She also shakes her head when she wants me to hurry up...

Very nicely put.
default_yes.gif
They are indeed teachers of patience and fairness, and capable of great understanding, provided we give them the opportunity.

Jan

No question they have their own personalities, likes, & dislikes.
default_yes.gif
I have a stallion that was abused (actually a couple of them) but when at a show he gets nervous if I leave him.
default_new_shocked.gif
As soon as "Mom" is back everything is ok again.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have had to run into the restroom before a class and handed him to someone he knows, he will rear and stand with his front legs tucked and stay that way until I return.
default_new_shocked.gif
It doesn't make the person too happy about holding him though. :DOH!

It does amaze me when people come to see the horses. I will ask him what they are looking for? what they want to do with the horse? If I have something (for sale) I think would be good for both them and the horse I will tell them which one. They usually think that I am picking the most expensive horse
default_rolleyes.gif
. Generally within a few minutes of spending time with that horse and with others they are in full agreement about the horse I originally told them.
default_wink.png

I understand their suspicion, but I used to raise Anatolian Shepherds and from the moment they were born I watched each one and knew by the time they were 6 weeks which family they would go to.
default_laugh.png
I picked the puppy for the family unless there was more than one that would work out. I had someone get mad at me once because I wouldn't let them pick the puppy.
default_rolleyes.gif
I offered to return their deposit as the puppy they wanted needed to be in a working home, not a couch potato. :DOH! They decided to take the one I had picked for them and I got many calls thanking me for choosing that puppy for them, "she was just perfect."
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Robin

default_biggrin.png
I'm glad everyone is enjoying my story. If you read my post about back yard breeders this is

how they have made me rich. With love! With the ability to be more patient. To add a note I while cleaning

their barns last night all three girls decided they needed to stand in Ariels stall and watch me clean Jasmine and Duckies stall,(they share). I know it's probably time to wean Duckie who is 5yo but we've done that

several times. They get along great and enjoy sharing their stall. But all three in Ariels stall was just a

little much. They supervise and make sure I get it right. It was raining and cold and they didn't feel they

should stand out in while I worked. But lets be clear, it was perfectly ok for me to be out there dumping my

wheelbarrel and walking back and forth to feed them. Hoping everyone has a great week, eats enough

Turkey and trimmings to last a year (not possible) and enjoys their time with family get togethers.

default_cheers.gif
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Back