What exercizes build what muscles?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I did a rouch clip on Domingo, and have evaluated where I need to do some work and get more muscle. I know trotting and loping do different things and work different muscles, as well as working on the flat vs working hills. Does anyone know what exercises are good for what muscles? I really need to get more muscle on his shoulder. His back end is looking pretty good, but we don't have much muscle on the front end.

So, I was thinking it may be helpful for everyone to post different exercizes and tips on building different muscle in different places.

The best way I found to pack some muscle on the front end and shoulder, was driving. If your not driving then teach him to ground drive and walk behind him and go up some steep hills. The lunging will help the muscle along his his back, but you have that one developed right? If he has what some call "Brown Fat" it will quickly turn to muscle with exercise...but really I found driving 2 or 3 times a week for 45 min made my 36 inch horse become solid in the chest and shoulder . and that was light driving , not extended trot the whole time , 15 to 20 min walk then trot then a little extended trot , then back down to cool him down, we always start in the round pen first walk , and trot to warm up before any driving . Others may have a different idea though ...maybe ground poles in the round pen with lunging, make sure your round pen is big enough though so he isnt making tight circles.

I have found that using several small jumps and/or cavelettis while roundpenning help tuck bellies and build forearm/chest/shoulder muscles.

I have an 11 month old I need to get some chest on. Want to be careful and not push him beyond what he should do for his age but he is kinda laid back and not real active. What would you recommend for him?

I have an 11 month old I need to get some chest on. Want to be careful and not push him beyond what he should do for his age but he is kinda laid back and not real active. What would you recommend for him?
Lots of playtime with other yearlings!!! And a good feed program to produce some energy.

At 11 mos much of his chest isn't spread/developed. Yes, romping with others will benefit him.....and your own patience.
default_smile.png

yea , I agree with not doing anything with the 11 month old but just letting him goof off with the others. When my yearling came to me at 1 1/2 I just stuck her in the pasture with another mare and gelding , and let them play. I have a hill in my pasture , her chest is still small, but she got a lot of muscle in her legs , and hind end. this year , as she becomes 2, I will put some safe and small jumps out in the pasture , so she can free jump if she wants to. But no real jumping or lunging until she is older.

My horse is a 9 year old gelding. He is trained to drive, but I don't know how to drive yet. Once I get a harness that fits him I hope to start ground driving. He does jump, and we're starting practicing hunter a couple days a week soon. I've heard it mentioned that some people use weighted bell boots to help build chest and shoulder muscles, but im afraid it will mess with his movement for driving. His backend is getting close to where I want it. His butt is still a little "peachy" at the top, but he does have the muscle crease on his hind end. I'm thinking that's where I might need to cut back the feed a tiny bit more. Right now he's getting 3/4 lb (about 3 cups) strategy am and pm, with 1/2 flake grass hay. I haven't incorporated the alfalfa pellets yet, we're still getting him used to the strategy and everything. I'm hoping to add a little of them next week. He has lots more energy on the strategy than his previous diet, but he's keeping weight and building muscle even though hes getting a much smaller portion.

Well, take some lessons and get in that cart!
default_laugh.png
That's a sure way to build muscles. Frankly, I'm too lazy to watch them go around in circles in the round pen. So why not make them haul me around to exercise while I enjoy the scenery??? Some of mine are in the cart. Others are ground driving, but we go on a nice long workout walk/trot. Sure enough, its even made me lose weight!
default_wacko.png

I'm looking for someone in my area to give me lessons, I don't want to do something wrong and hurt my horse. You know, I can find atleast 30 people in my, area who do riding lessons, but unfortunately none of them do driving.

Try to give him a big ball, I had my yearling also with not much muscles in the chest, I gave him a big gymmball and he was running crazy with that ball!!

It helped to keep him active during the day.

You will see that by turning older he will get better
default_wink.png

Back