What does it cost to register a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks_Eye_Minis

Reaction score
Neither one of my horses have ben registered ive never woned a registered horse nor do i know how to even fill out the papers....

the first one my gelding i havent ben in a huge hurry to reg especially since the paperwork is so confusing to me and i have ZILCH for help

Id like to atleast get my stud colt registered even if i end up gelding him later.. He can be double registered... i just have NO idea how to figure out what im doing with the papers..

Also the breder put 2 differnt names on the papers can i white out a set and make them all have the SAME name for both registries?

i asked the breeder to help me but she never got back to me the second ive ben in contact with the breeder once since i got him because i needed to tell her that aparently she sold me a sick horse... Everything is fine and dandy now i just want to get them registered and have NO idea what the heck im doing much less to figure out how much $$ i need to send...

I have all the paper work just dont know how to fill it out

I wont be able to send in the papers for a few months is that a big deal? my gelding is 3 soon to be 4 and my stud colt is 7 months right now....

Last edited by a moderator:
YOu cannot white out anything the breeder wrote in, if you do it will void the form. There are late fees for just about everything. If it is past a few months, you will have to pay the late fee for your transfers. If the 3 year old is not permanant you will have to pay that fee also. If he is not registered as a gelding you have to file a gelding verification form (doesn't cost anything). It's hard to give a definite amount for fees as it depends on so many things.

If you want to focus only on the colt.

You need to be a member of each registry ($65 for US) and then you need to late register the oolt, I'm assuming you dont have registration certificates but only have registration forms. Best thing to do is go on the individual websites of the registries and look at their workorder forms. You'll see all the costs for everything there.

I hope you get it all figured out, it can be quite a challenge when not everything is in order.

So how do i get it so it has the same name on both forms for the colt because CAN i double reg him with 2 names id rather not... i dont know how to fix that then and the breeder is over 4 hours away so i cant just print off another forum and have her resign it

If the breeder is not willing to have the same name on both his AMHA and AMHR papers, there is nothing you can do, if you white it out, they are void. If the breeder is willing, and you are in contact with them, ask them to please fill out a new paper with the name, and mail it to you.

i just emailed the breeder i dont think she realized she made that mistake.. ( they have a co ownership she gave me one set and the other owner gave me the second but she owns both mare and stud) its her signature on both sets so we should be able to get that straightened out hopefully..

Also she has wrote on his apps that hes bay with black legs mane and tail but his legs are brown light brown and his tail is white does that matter or when i send in his papers and pictures would they just change the color on there own i did check the box authorizing them to choose a color if they need to

And what are judges fees ect do i need to pay them even if i wont be showing? well i will be but not breed shows since there arent ANY in my state

The colt's legs may be black under that light hair. I would leave it as the breeder put it. I've found that foal legs usually are covered with lighter hair.

No you don't have to pay "Judges fees" to register.

What you will need to pay is

- Registration fee

- Transfer fee - because you are NOT the breeder you will have to pay the transfer fee.

You will need to send in

- the work order (both registries if he can be double registered). All the fees are listed on the form.

- the application for registration signed by the breeder

- If the breeder did NOT sign the application form as the breeder, you will need to send in a "stallion certificate" with the application.

- Transfer form again if the breeder did not fill out that portion.

- pictures. AMHR is both sides, one with the face toward the camera, the full front of the horse with the forelock pulled back so the face can be seen, and one from the rear with the tail pulled to the side unless it doesn't cover the legs. AMHA is both sides with the face pointed straight (not towards the camera) and 2 of the face only.

- Payment

If you are joining the registries it will save you a little bit on the fees, but if you aren't doing any other registry work, it may not be worth it. If so, send in a member ship form also.

For the gelding - if he already has photos on his paperwork, AMHR does not require new ones. AMHA requires new ones with every change.

I can tell you what AMHR will cost based on the info you have provided:

For your colt: If you register him now (prior to Dec. 31st) the fee is $20. As of Jan. 1st that will go up to $30.

For your gelding: Fee is $60. Since he is past his actual 3rd birthday it seems, you won't get temporary papers, you put his measurement on the application and they will issue the permanent papers. I'm not sure if they charge you the $5 fee for that or not, since they won't actually be updating papers. That is a question you could e-mail to the AMHR office.

Transfer fees: If you send the transfer in within 6 months of date of sale the fee for each is $15. If you send the transfer in after 6 months of date of sale the fee for each will be $25

You don't have to buy a membership, but if you don't you will pay double the above amounts for the non-member fee. Given the amount of work you will have to do you will be further ahead to buy a membership & then pay the above member fees.

I believe that in order to have the registrations processed the "original owner" must have a current membership. I know that was an issue earlier on & there was some talk about changing that rule, but I haven't heard that has actually changed. Hopefully the breeders(or original owner if they aren't the same person) are still members & this won't be an issue for you.

The paperwork isn't really as difficult as it may seem; don't let it get you flustered!

AMHA I cannot comment on because I don't deal with that registry and am not familiar with their fees or requirements.

i have reg apps for both horses all 3 apps are signed by the respective breeders who were also the last owners...

Nemos legs i shaved them because i thought underneath theyd be comming in black also but they are the same color as his body.. even the under hair is

I do plan to get memberships to both registries too

And i noticed on my geldings papers she didnt write in a date of sale SO i geuss i could write in the day or week before i send in the paper work couldnt i?

And i noticed on my geldings papers she didnt write in a date of sale SO i geuss i could write in the day or week before i send in the paper work couldnt i?

Sure

You know im realy getting irritated ive emailed the breeder and called her multiple times in the past week and gotten NO reply...

Geuss thats what i get

first off she told me he was sold completly vaccinated BUT didnt give me any paperwork for that.. his hooves were over 3 inches over grown when i got him he was FULL of worms and then on top of it all he had strangles which infected my whole barn.. when i called her her reply was "oh that sucks yeah i dont vaccinate anything i dont show"!! UGH

Ohwell atleast hes in a way better home now...

I do feel for you. You and many other people new to Miniatures have been "taken". At a time when it is difficult to even sell fully registered horses with all paperwork up to date, I hope new buyers will read this and other threads like it and seek out reputable breeders who keep their paperwork up to date.

Neither one of my horses have up to date papers... Im hoping i can get everything straightened out as soon as i get the $$$$ to send in the papers... I geuss i dint understand WHY breed minis then NOT turn in the paperwork for them? Isnt it cheaper if the breeder takes the initiave right away and does it instead of selling the foal months or years down the line and the new breeder having to pay TONS more?????

Honestly eventually id like to breed nemo AFTER hes ben shown for awhile if hes good enff but if i DO breed him ALL foals will atleast have temp papers before they leave the property.... Its a dream of mine id liek to accomplish years down the line anyways...

If it ends up that i cannot reg him for whatever reason he will be gelded... The lil turd is such a good lil boy lol im so attached to him already... Ive ben working on trick training him for something to do he already comes when called backs on vocal command i dont even have to be near him and he shakes his hoof like a dog LOL...

If you are interested in doing any showing, there are several open shows in your area. There is a saddle club at Baraboo and they have a few classes for minis. The plus is that their entry fees are around $5 a class. Once you get a taste of showing and want to move up into breed shows, I'm sure you can find someone to help you out. It's a bit of a ways to our club on the east side of Wisconsin (SE Wisconsin Miniature Equine Club ----www.sewmec.com )but I know some of our members or members of the NE club would help you get started.

I go to the baraboo show every year but starting august of this year there doing more "game" oriented classes MOST are ridding classes then there was a show at heartland stables up north that had alot of halter classes i thought great!! well go to that instead.. yeah there doing the same as baraboo ALL games and riding clases
default_frusty.gif

And i would love someone who could help me because im honestly CLUELESS as to showing my minis all i used to show before were QH and its completly differnt.....

this pic is HAwk and my first ever show together and last one lol since

28270_133689826655953_100000448106987_272790_6314377_n1.jpg

And then in 2010 i took him to the midwest horse fair in madison Wisconsin i would totally have taken him again BUT hubby refuses to go in the ring with me again since hawk just about plowed him over to get to me.. LOL I thought it was funny hubby NOT so much

27727_392485117040_128707117040_4366860_4509295_n1.jpg

:salutehow tall is hawk? in order to register him with AMHA he needs to be under 34 inches from the last hair on the mane

hes 37 inches tall... If i cant reg him its honestly NO big deal its my stud colt i REALLY want to gte registered....

Hawk has a forever home with me lol i cant imagine my life without him

Latest posts

Back