What does everyone do for a living?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm a police officer, currently on my midnight shift of my rotation...... :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
:

OK, I work with our family construction business days. 3rd generation and dad is slowly retiring. We also farm, raise registered charolais beef cattle, grow hay, produce maple syrup, seasonal greenhouse business and raise minis. Gaylene now runs the greenhouses and does much of the horses. With both boys not home there are not enough hours in the day anymore. Think i should get rid of the day job!

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Wellllllllllllllllllll

I am a jobless high school senior althought i have a am trying to make a little money on the side to cover the horse fee's ext and showing currently training for a few friends. I did work for a local pizza place and am applying for a cafe after june untill im done with college and out of that. I plan as a profression go into something agriculure or business related.
default_smile.png

Winchester - I hear ya....night shifts can be tiring, but it's a whole new group of people up in the middle of the night. I'm in the middle of my nights rotation as well (only 8 weeks left), then back to days for the summmer!

I am a manager at a dry cleaners. Not a glam job, but it's what I know and it's an EASY job! LOL I've been in the field for over 20 years (off and on...the last 5 years on) and have held many other customer service jobs in between. I also used to own my own little video store, which I LOVED, but after 2 years I realized I couldnt compete with the "big boys"...Someday I'd love to own my own business again.

:saludando: Hi! Great topic Adam! :aktion033: Love reading everyone's post! :lol:

Well...... ME....... Um...... other being a single/divorced mom of 2 young boys which is a full time job in itself..... I work full time for my step-dad who has a equine dental business. We make equine dental floats and insturments..... I have the DIRTY part of the job being back in the pollishing room where I work with the metal all day...... deffinately a guys jobs.... very tedious.... but after almost 3 years of it.... I've learned to be very good at it....

I also love raising and showing (live to SHOW!!) my other kids (my minis!!)....... before my divorce several years and so ago...... I use to train horses (big ones) full time and had clients and show at the quarter shows and LOVED IT! Starting colts was my thing.......

But minis have since filled my void and don't miss the big horses one bit! And my LAST big dressage gelding is leaving on the 19th to his new home in MT!!

So really I have 3 jobs@! lol! I need one more of me here to get all the stuff done...... I need a maid..... lol! She's on strike 1/2 the time with the house work.... I'll pick poop anyday!!! lol!

i'll play... :saludando: i earn my paycheck working as a "legal assistant" which means i do everything... more than a legal secretary but not technically a paralegal as i don't have the degree, just over 20 years of experience behind me. however that is my "job" NOT my life. if i had my druthers i would be a full time "rancher" and stay home with my 4-legged babies now that my 2-legged babies are about grown and gone... my donkeys especially have become a serious passion...

I am a stay at home mom. Currently both of my boys are sick and have been all week and I'm going STIR CRAZY!!!!! I have been home and in the house all week. Except for the little time I take to go out and feed my horses (thank goodness for them!!) I clean the house, cook the meals, grocery shop (uggg), pick up after the boys, pick up after the dogs (5 of them, plus 10 puppies!!!), care for my horses, clean the house again, cook some more and wait for my husband to come home so I can talk with an adult
default_wacko.png
: And sometimes I miss the serenitity of having a "normal" full time job. Working 8-12 hours a day seems easier than working 24 hours!!!

But then my boys do or say something totally halarious and I am sooooo glad that I'm here and not missing one minute!!
default_wub.png
:

I am in the underwriting field for a major insurance company.(like a good neighbor....haha)....this is my 19th year with them. I think my main job it to make sure that the information the insurance agents send in to regional office get done properly. I work in our Auto department and I work with Alaska, Hawaii, and Washington. I started out in Salem, Oregon and worked in the auto department and worked with all of the Oregon agents. I moved up to WA state in 1995 and I guess I plan to be here for atleast another 15 years. I also consider myself lucky to have steady employment, and I also get to work 4-10 hour days every other week, so I have every other Friday off....which I love.

My husband is a Sargeant with the Thurstoun County Sheriff Office and he is also on the graveyard shift right now, so I can emphathize with the other night-owls on here. Ken's shifts change every 3 months, however his days off rotate weekly, so it makes it hard to plan too much in advance.

Ken plans to retire in 15 years and I told him, if he wasn't going to work everyday, neither am I......so we are in the process of making sure we are on the right track to make sure this happens. We are also contemplating on buying a duplex for a side business & tax right off, just another way to diversify I guess, we shall see. :new_shocked:

Other than that, we stay busy traveling & playing with our dog, Molly, cat, Sofie, and our minis.

What a fun thread, it's always interesting to me to learn about other people. :bgrin

I'm a stay at home mom... I also watch our fire chief's son full time.
default_yes.gif
:

I am a stay at home mom. I am in the proccess of opening a small specialty nursery devoted mainly to plants for japanese style landscaping. I also am growing a huge market garden this year as well. I am also showing 1 dog, and to raise money for that I do pet sitting on a limited basis for a few select clients.

I have had more jobs than most along with this being my 3rd business. I swore I wouldn't do it again but my plant habit has gotten out of hand so it is a natural fit plus I was raised doing the nursery landscape thing
default_wink.png
: it is the family business and my dad keeps claiming I need to do this.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek:

In my spare time I also help lobby for the rights of animal owners, and animal welfare groups that are interested in protecting our right to own animals. The AR movement has declared war this year and almost every state has some sort of breed discriminatory legislation, limit laws, or mandatory spay neuter laws pending. Louisville passed a doozy of a pet act that is being fought in court to attempt to get it repealed.

Other than that I do not have a job or career.

Before I got married 4.5 years ago, I mostly worked retail, last job was a bank teller which I liked but it didn't pay well enough for 37 mile roundtrip drive everyday, so I quit. Now, I help my husband with the ranch, we raise red angus beef cattle. [i have a BS in Range Science, so I'm now sort of using my degree, I just don't get paid for it.] I also started up a small in-home quilting supply business 4 years ago; it hellps with my quilting hobby and if it takes off it may help pay for the horses.

My full time paying job is farrier. Most of the time I truly enjoy it. It pays the bills and the horse addiction. I also have husband and three kids at home along with 10 horses. All of us pitch in together for the horse work but I do the training and conditioning. We are currently breaking the shetland we have to ride and schooling a couple of large horses for fun.

[SIZE=12pt]I am a carpenter/contractor by trade. I run interior trim and hang doors in new houses after it's sheetrocked and before it's painted. Actually, I took off a year ago to have our last baby. So I guess I am a homemaker of two little ones right now. But I'm anxiously awaiting the day that I can go back to work. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I also have my builder's license but have only used it on a couple of occassions. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Hello everyone,

For the past 6 yrs I've been a full time mom, staying home. This is harder than when I use to work..
default_wacko.png
: In the fall I did get a job in an acct. dept for a medical supply co. But as some of you may remember, I was "let go" at my 90 days for someone with a degree.. Heard they where hiring back the grand daugther of the HR.. But just heard that they did try some one with an acct degree and she quit before 2 wks.. She couldn't handle it.. Before my 6 yrs full time stay at home job, I was a head teller/vault teller for a bank for 9 yrs.. I really loved my job and the customers, just not the people I worked for..Now that both kids are in school, as long as I can keep everyone healthy, I've been talking to hubby about looking for something that would work hrs wise.. Hubby keeps saying, just stay home as long as I can. It is so hard when they get sick and you don't have anyone for a back up sitter.. So I guess I am home with my two legged kids and my four legged kids as long as we can make it.. I am use to the money struggle, just wish it wasn't so bad some times.. Hubby still doesn't know what is going with work. If he looses his job, then job hunting I go. I just pray that if something bad happens where he works, we find him a job with set hrs, so I could work around him.. I am more of a people person, so it is hard staying home. I talk everyone's ears off now, including my mini's..
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

This is a very interesting topic.. Neat to see what everyone does..
default_wink.png
:

I do homework for a living. :no: I used to be the crazy neighborhood kid who covered an entire yard and then some with Love In A Mist. (It's not my fault I kill any other plant!) The stupid woodchipper guy (he doesn't make the cut for being a landscaper) killed off both main colonies, so now i'm busy making an attempt at over running the new yard. And then some.
default_wink.png
:

I love this thread!!!

I am a financial planner / money manager. My father and I have been business partners since 1995 and have a really nice office in Warrenton, VA and some wonderful administrative employees. I'm licensed as a stock broker and as a registered principal, which means I could go into a brokerage house and supervise the stock brokers and registered reps if I ever wanted a job I probably would not like (love working with clients). I'm also my father's supervisor in the eyes of the NASD! Though he does have the same licensing as I do.

Our clients are primarily 55+ and retired or nearly retired with $1M+ of liquid assets. Before I came to work with my father (from banking -- mortgage loan officer), most of his clients were small business owners and I started out handling the group health insurance plans for them. Then we eventually came to specialize in the affluent senior market. We live / work in one of the best areas in the Nation to be in the line or work and market we are in.

I love what I do!

Our website for informational purposes only is www.smart-money.net
default_smile.png
Lots of financial calculators and articles are available on our website.

Now, I'm off to read what everyone else does
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I work my tail off being a mom of 4 boys
default_wub.png
: And for fun I was recently re-hired at a large auction firm (farm equip and building supplies) to be their CFO :bgrin I worked for him for years but baby boys just kept coming
default_wacko.png
: so I backed off only doing the web stuff from home. He asked me in Dec to come back (since everyone is in school now) for whatever $$/hour I wanted and I can do it from home so I couldn't say no LOL

I am a Canine Stylist with my own home parlour. I also spend time working with and showing Miniatures.
default_wub.png
:

Hmmmm...this is interesting. I'm complicated.

Until four years ago, I worked full-time in the travel industry for airlines, tour companies and my last job as a regional sales manager for a major all-inclusive vacation resort chain in the Caribbean. I loved the job but spent a lot of time away from my family and traveling to and working in Jamaica, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas, Antigua and St. Lucia and it got harder and harder to be away from my family so much. In the fall of 2001 I had an accident in Jamaica and broke my neck, took time off for surgery and to recover and never went back to work full-time. My husband was getting busier and busier with his career and works long hours that are different every day. He is a full-time sports columnist for a newspaper, a member of a morning radio show which he gets up for at 4:30AM M-F and he does freelance TV commentary work and some freelance writing. He just completed a sports related book that will be released late summer or early fall. With all that we were at the point that it made more sense for me to be home full-time. We have four children ages 1, 5, 9 and 11 and have two foster children ages 15 and 17 and I work longer hours and I'm busier now with them than I ever was with any job I ever held. With school, homework, sports, activities, appointments, etc. I am on the go constantly.

I'd also been involved in cheerleading and dance all my life and was a Minnesota Vikings Cheerleader for eight years and coached the Minnesota Timberwolves Performance Team for three years. I now coach cheerleading at our high school which is a part-time year round job. These days, with spring tryouts, summer practices and summer camp, and cheerleaders for multiple sports in fall and winter sports seasons and competition cheerleading in the winter and early spring it never ends and I probably devote at least 10 hours a week to something cheerleading related. I have fun though and it helps keep me in shape.

I'd also had big horses all my life and after I broke my neck I was told I couldn't ride horses anymore and that was when I became interested in minis, got a couple, the whole family got involved - even my husband - and the entire family got involved in showing. It is an interest for the entire family, but because my husband works long hours and the kids have school and other activities, the daily horse care is one of my jobs too plus all the conditioning, training and show prep. We will probably be showing quite a few horses in driving and performance this year so I'm expecting so be spending several hours a day working with the horses. When school is out the kids will be more of a help but it still all comes back to me to organize and coordinate it all.

Latest posts

Back