What does everyone do for a living?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alongman

Reaction score
I have been able to read and see that there are a WIDE assortment of equine enthusiasts out there. So now I'm just curious what people do for a living.

About me. I'm a critical care paramedic in the Twin Cities of Minnesota (Minneapolis/St. Paul) as well as for a life flight service. I also work casually promoting Jagermeister (yep, the alcohol.....lol) doing some interesting partying. Those are both of my "non-horsey" jobs. The majority of my time, however, is dedicated to our training stable.

Now...your turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll play! :bgrin

I guess I am technically a "homemaker" though my husband might not agree with that. LOL

I do freelance web design work mostly for friends.

I'm a trained desktop publisher and do some freelance ad work.

And I manage the business part of our farm (crop land rental, hay ground rental, pasture rental, etc.)

Mostly I just do horsey stuff though and have fun! :lol:

I'm a professional photographer, web designer, freelance writer and I'm also doing custom birth announcements, birthday invitations etc. now.

But mostly I'm a mommy.

I think it's fun hearing about all the diversity among all the friends within the industry - how people from such different backgrounds can all come together to experience something so fun.

Thanks for playing! I think that staying home and dealing with a family would be more like 2 full-time jobs.....give credit when due. Kudos!

Ill play

I am a nursing student, so yes I still live at home and stuff but I will be a registered nurse when I am done...lol so this a future orientated response...lol (only 18)

I used to be a nurse manager for a home care company, now Im a stay at home granny who plays with dogs and horses and have made over 7000.00 in the last 3 and a half months with Goji Juice!

Lyn

Okay Lyn, what's Goji juice? I know I've heard of it before, but obviously is a good little business for you.

I work for two different Community Livings supporting individuals with developmental disabilites (who receive 24 hour care) to live in their own home. In the one, I support 3 men and the other, 2 women. I have also worked in the school system as a supply Educational Assistant.

By day, I am a registered veterinary technician employed by the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine in the anesthesia service. I instruct 4th year vet students on their anesthetic clinical skills (and they love me!! because anesthesia scares the snot out of them!
default_wink.png
: ).

I am also a professional small equine handler with a barn of 6 show horses at the moment. Last year I had several national level Grand and Reserve Champions, plus a Youth Horse of the Year!

I am a substitute teacher. Only high school. I used to be a full time teacher and also an administrator for five years, but I 'retired' and now only work when I want to! Currently, I am teaching writing at our district's alternative high school for two months while their beloved teacher is recovering from emergency spinal surgery. I'm not crazy about working every day when I could be playing more with the horses, but these kids are kind of fragile and knew me from other times I had been at their school and they requested me. That made me feel good then, but the lives of these poors souls are often so tragic it is a heart breaker. Their regular teacher should be back after spring break! Whooo hooo!

Jayne

I guess you could say I'm a "housewife" LOL. I have done many things in the past from a Travel Sales Rep for the Air Miles program to a bartender at one of the biggest clubs in T.O. I was also an actor in Toronto for many years. Now I live with my boyfriend in a rural community and tend to the horses, cats, dogs etc. etc., cook, clean house, clean clothes...hard work! I also help our hired guy in the field (we farm soy, corn, and wheat) when he needs it.

I am an Air Traffic Controller. So is my husband.

wanted to clarify: I am not one of those people you see standing out on the ramp with flashlights parking the planes. I work for the U.S. Govt and I work in the tower landing/taking off planes and also work in the radar room...a dark room in front of a radar scope and keep the planes seperated up to 11,000 ft in our juristiction of airspace. My husband and I work at different facilities, the airports are about 80 miles apart. We have been doing this for 9 years.

I love my job, it can be stressfull at times. I am responsible for thousands of lives in one shift. The real stressful part is the management...anyone who has worked for the federal govt. knows what I'm talking about. This will be my job until I retire...only 12 more years to go!

I've worked for AT&T for the past 20 years in some sort of customer service job or another supporting our biggest customers. For the past 4 years I've been a Voice Support Manager supporting the outsource companies who took over our jobs.

I used to be a flower designer and for many years did substitute reception work in many different offices, until I had my fall, now I have memory loss.

After 2.5 years finally just got my arm operation on my right rotary cup ( torn tendon )

Fell from a ladder going into the hay loft, the back of my head hit the cement and my arm.

Now I am a stay at home grandmother with lovable animals, breeding dogs and breeding miniature horses.

Enjoying retirement early. and Loving it all...
default_wub.png
:

Also I am addicted to this forum and enjoying every day.
default_wacko.png
:

I work a graveyard shift for a company that makes and supplies pizza’s and other fast food items

to C- stores around the US and Canada.

I am the Sanitation Supervisor and have recently also taken on the duties of the Night Shift Manager., overseeing all production at night, including my own department, plus the Bakery production, Maintenance dept and the warehouse.

I have worked for this company for 15 years and someday hope to be able to go to a day shift. (but I am probably dreaming there)LOL

Although the shift can be difficult, it does pay for my horse addiction
default_smile.png

I am a retired State of Maine employee who had 31 years in various State positions the last being a Management Analyst with IT division. I always tell people now that I traded State political bull sh-- for horse sh--. Now I am a stay at home nanna and raise the horses and do much of the barn work. I also help my daughter when I can with home school lessons in real living skills for my grandchildren. Though I dont officially bring in an income my friends will tell you I am also a life counselor without the official shingle.

My title is Information Technology Consultant. I work for the state of Ohio in the Medicaid information systems area. I was a project manager, but now i am in this position which is not management and pays more! Go figure. My area is responsible for testing all software changes and approving/failing before they are put into production. Not crazy about it and looking to transfer elsewhere, but I need to stay with the state as I have been there 21 1/2 years, only 8 1/2 to go and I can retire and enjoy.

Great pay, great insurance, benefits, etc. Something pretty rare anymore.

In a former life, I had attended and taught at Meredith Manor School of Horsemanship, then managed a stable in south Florida. I have to say IT is much more stable, better paying, better benefits by far!

First I am a MOM & a Wife,but I spend 8 to 5 being a Home Health nurse. Lots of fun & being a home care nurse, I occasionally( especially with one in foal) , get to take a little detour out to check on my horses. After five my husband, kids & I are working on our new house ( where our horses are)- We are getting closer to moving which will be a great relief for all of us !
default_smile.png

Back