What do you use to make your videos?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
Breaking it down by steps:

How do you take your videos? Video camera? regular digital camera? Cell phone?? Make and model if you can give it.

Does it get recorded to a disk (e.g.mini DVD) or to a memory card? Can the video be transferred to your computer through a USB port? Does it have to be finalized before you can edit it?

Then what?? Do you need software to convert it? What type of files (.avi, .mov, etc.) do you use in the process?

Do you use Windows Movie Maker? Some other software to produce the "movie" that you can load onto YouTube?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I figure that there are so many vidoes on YouTube that there has to be an easier way, and I need to find it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the video capture software that came with my analog Sony camcorder (a real PITA, which is why you don't often see new dressage videos from me) or transfer short videos off my Canon S5 digital camera, which is easy. Then I open Windows Movie Maker, tell it to import those .avi files and form a video, which I then tell it to save for publication to the internet. Then I go on YouTube and tell it to upload the file, and voila!

Leia

Oh man, this is a loaded question. I had about two thousand programs to convert and compress because WMM will not accept mov files that come out of most digital cameras. Windows Movie Maker will not support mov files without conversion first which is a real pain. Virtual dub and media coder are not complicated but I got sick of so many conversions and loss of quality. Finally I got a JVC cam corder cheapo from Wally world. It plugs into a USB port via fire wire. It will dump the movie directly into Windows Movie Maker. But wait!!!!!! The model I got of course couldn't be simple. Nothing came with it. I had to have a new card installed in my PC first for it to be recognized. Not all of them are like that....just the JVC model lucky me happened to choose.
default_wacko.png

I'm a YOUTUBE maniac now

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both!! At least I know now that I am not alone in my frustration!!! I think I will be shopping for a new camera with great care. I don't need long videos, just short clips of the minis looking cute or driving well.

I bought conversion software that will convert TO .mov files but apparently won't read them!!!

I really love my S5, and with a good fast memory card (I've got a 2gig one but did fine with 1G) you can video entire classes and still have room for lots of photos. The quality is quite good on those videos and they're easy to upload to your computer and WMM. I would not hesitate to recommend that camera.

Leia

Breaking it down by steps:

How do you take your videos?:

I take my vids with my Sony SLR camera

Does it get recorded to a disk (e.g.mini DVD) or to a memory card?:

It gets loaded on ta memory card on my camera

Can the video be transferred to your computer through a USB port?:

Yes

Then what?? Do you need software to convert it? What type of files (.avi, .mov, etc.) do you use in the process?:

I use WMM (windows movie maker) and just add the videos to that. If you have a video that you want to add to WMM thats online i use Zamzar.com (it converts the files into what ever format you want)

Do you use Windows Movie Maker? Some other software to produce the "movie" that you can load onto YouTube?:

Yes, Windows Movie Maker

"I bought conversion software that will convert TO .mov files but apparently won't read them!!!"- Use Zamzar.com. Its awsome!! It converts the files to what ever format you need, emails them to you, and then you download them onto your computer desktop. No application downloading and its FREE!

all my videos are at http://www.youtube.com/user/X2ride4evaX All are used with Windows Movie Maker.

Hope I helped =]

Latest posts

Back