How do you do that!??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hello again!

I hope this is ok if I share a vid. I was watching this video (

) and was absolutely blown away by the side pass at 1:30.
I've been practicing in hand trail with my Miss May, but I am super new to it and really don't know what I'm doing and have never actually seen a class. I can side pass her but I hold the lead in one hand and stand more toward her barrel with my other hand out. I did't think that's how it ought to be done in a show, but it's what I've got for now.

How does one fine tune something like that? How do you cue that differently than a pivot? I can see myself just confusing the crap out of little Miss.

While we're on it, anything else I should think about with in hand trail?

Thank you in advance!

One of mine will side pass on his own once he sets his front feet over the rail. I cue him to start moving and he just goes. It took a fair amount of repetition and reward but at a certain point it "clicked" and once the feet are in place, he is on auto-pilot. Not as good as the one in the video, but pretty good. I was able to refine my cues as he improved. I started, like you at his side with one hand out. Then dialed back my cues as he became better at it. I think once they associate their feet being over the rail = sideways then the cues can be minimized. Now we can do it with or without a rail.

To keep them from going forward as you train them, try setting the rail parallel to a fence. The fence will keep them from stepping forward. I place the rail maybe four or five feet out from the fence.

Another one of mine, Peanut, will side pass, but he has never gotten smooth about it. Its not his "thing" evidently,lol. The third I have just started working with and he is catching on quickly.

I use a voice command for side pass. I say "over" so they can tell the difference between pivot and side pass. I actually have more trouble teaching a pivot than a side pass. I would love to get a sharp pivot but mine are pretty awful! Really awful!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the verbal "cross". When beginning, you have to make sure their front feet are in the right position to begin crossing. Some horses have a tendency to always the same foot forward. The backing exercises help with that, I think. I was impressed with that horse's backing.

I stand more towards their shoulder to cue them for a side pass and I stand more by their head to pivot them. I get them really good at pivoting their hind and and front end first as well as backing them up. Using your hand isn't best but if they are just starting out do what you need to do and just improve from there.

Awesome advise guys! I do need to get out a log to start practicing it on. I'm a ditz and hadn't though of a different verbal cue.
default_doh.gif
I'll have to start working on that. Cayuse, I have seen the "clicking" moment with her quite often, it is so awesome. Hopefully we can get there with this. Marsha, I was impressed with the whole video haha what a goal to have! JMS, I'll have to try standing differently too. I stand more at her shoulder to pivot as of now. Guess I'll have to just slowly scoot forward for each move. I do like that idea.

Latest posts

Back