What do you think of

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chynagurl8

Reaction score
What would you think of an older youth showing in open classes at Nationals? My parents mentioned that we might be staying for the whole week for Nationals next year (we usually just stay for the youth weekend), and well would you think an older youth (17) would be really out of place in an open class with professionals?

Nope the year I went I showed in open. That was in 98'. I was then, 14.

MANY youth also show in the open division. Just make sure you get all your homework ahead of time....there's lots of time between classes to get it done. And you'll find lots of youth sitting at ringside working on their homework as they watch the show.

Personally I dont think it matters how old you are as long as you have the experiance to go in a class like that.

I know a girl your age who would go in the open classes at Worlds and beat all the pro's because she has been showing all her life.

while we havent been to nationals kyle shows in open. i figure the more times he gets in the ring the better heck get with more experience.

[SIZE=14pt]Not you... Ive seen you show.... Heather Powell is younger than you and she showed for me at nationals this past year.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Yep been showing in open classes since I started showing in about 97 (when I was 13).......though didn't get serious about showing until 99 really (as far as MY breeding program and what I was showing) and in 99 took Reserve National Champion in Open classes with a horse I bred, I would have been 15. I have always enjoyed showing in the Open classes - good stiff competetion, esp on a National level, so it only helps you improve.

Just please - my pet peeve, (not just the youth, as more times than not it is an adult) no feet stomping/pounding trying to get ears up on your horse, respect the other horses in the ring, if you are stomping all in front of your horses.........you are also stomping right on the butt on another.......sorry sort of off subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think you can, go ahead. I shouldn't be speaking though since I haven't gone yet. I would love to go for the full week next year, but unfortunately my school has an attendance policy and could probably only stay up through ammy.

aktion033.gif

Heck yes, go for it. I let Kim drive our mare in the stakes and she is only 15.

My kids stay all week anyway because they don't start school until October!

Come visit us if you get time. Kim will be 16 this year so she can head for me.

Matt will be 13 and Courtney will be 10. The more you go in the ring the better

you will get. Good luck. Linda B
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, I'm hoping the homework load will be a bit lighter for my senior year, but somehow I doubt it. This comming year will be my last year as a youth, so after that I'll be showing with all of you guys in ammy.

Raven is 9 and planning on showing in some open classes next year. This year she just did Liberty.

Erica, I think some people become so tunnel visioned in the ring they just dont realize it.. I know in halter one little girl kept bumping into foxys butt and when the class ended she was standing about mid tummy right next to him
smile.gif

Although I have a kid showing a kids horse so really he didnt care tell him to stand and well that he will no matter what
yes.gif

By all means-- our grandson has shown in the open classes every year at Nationals since he was 13-- In 2005 he took 2 ribbons in the Top Ten in Open Classes, One in Halter obstacle & one in driving. He also had some in the Youth divisions.

You can do whatever you wish to do so long as you are willing to work for it. GOOD LUCK & MERRY CHRISTMAS

Back