What do you think of this type of Parenting?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
What do you think about this type of parenting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh, I think she deserved it. She sounds like a prissy spoiled little brat! I would be beyond thankful to my parents if they had bought me a laptop, and an ipod, and a cell phone, and this and that that I don't need. I bet she has a closet full of nice clothes and shoes, I bet her bedroom is comfortable and well decorated, and all she can write is hate about her parents!
new_shocked.gif

Not being much older than a teen myself I still remember clearly when I had bad days and was angry at the world, but I think she went too far. This is a lesson that will stick with her for many years!
aktion033.gif

I'm not a parent so I don't have personal experience, but I personally applaud him for it. It was extreme, but she sounds like she's needs a wake up call. If I had done something like that, I don't know what the punishment would have been, but I guarantee I would have regretted doing it.
default_wink.png

I love it! Kids today are given too much 'stuff' and take it all for granted. They seem to have the 'gimme, gimme, gimme' attitude about life and dont want to work for anything and dont seem to appreciate anything. I am pretty appalled at today's youth as most of them have filthy mouths, no respect for anyone and really dont have any values either.

I like a parent that follows through and tries to TEACH their kids things, like this guy- and he had already warned her about things like this. I am sure her parents are totally embarrassed by her nasty attitude and public comments.

I think the kid got what she deserved! Kudos to this guy! You can tell he is so upset and mad, but trying to control himself. Wonder what her friends on FB thought of that response! And how SHE now likes being publicly humiliated?!

You guys are always teasing me with these u tube videos, I have dial up and can't watch. Would you pleas be so kind as to maybe write something up to tell the story? Thanks, Terry
default_no.gif

Good for Mr. Jordan. I am probably a lot older than most here, but I hope this is a wake-up call, for many parents today. Most of the time, I am shocked at the attitude of most young people.

When I was young - very young, I had a list of chores to do each day. I had to get myself up in the mornings, make my lunch and get myself off to school. At night I had to wash my brother's nappies (diapers for those in the US), and do the ironing. In those days everything had to be ironed. Then of course homework and to bed.

When I was just 15, I was put to work. My pay had to be given to my parents. I made most of my clothes and knew how to knit and sew. When I was 17, I was allowed to use the 'phone and allowed to date. I had to be home by 10.30pm, or the doors were locked.

Several - probably many, of my ggrandparents and aunts and uncles in Wales, were sent down in the coal mines to work. Boys when they were 9 and girls when 12. All money earned was given to the parents.

I'm not saying at all, that kids should be taken from school and put to work at such ages these days, but the whole parenting thing has changed so much. Even when I was young, we never heard of a young person getting into trouble. We were all kept too busy, either at home or working. It was a sense of responsibility, instilled in us at a young age. It seems the responsibility has changed to the parents feeling almost obligated to provide children with as much as possible and the kids seem to expect it. I wonder when it all changed.

Lizzie

I thought it was PERFECT! If only there were more parents out there today that made kids accountable for their own actions instead of blaming teachers, friends, and whoever else they think is responsible for their kids unacceptable behavior. My daughter would have got the same thing (and did, she was a quick learner),.....minus the bullets in the laptop. One of us could have probably used it!
laugh.gif

You guys are always teasing me with these u tube videos, I have dial up and can't watch. Would you pleas be so kind as to maybe write something up to tell the story? Thanks, Terry
default_no.gif
The gist of it... 15 year old writes on FB about how awful her parents are, making her do chores and such, thinking she had locked her parents out of her FB posts. Her dad an IT tech, found her rantings after upgrading her computer for her, and video-taped himself and his response to her rantings and attitude, which included shooting her laptop computer, which he then posted to her FB page.

default_no.gif
Sorry for the ones with dial up will try to explain the best I can.

A 15-year-old puts up a Facebook post bashing her parents for making her work too hard, dad reacts by posting a video response to her grievances on her Facebook page.

He reads what she was telling her fb friends. Saying she has to make beds, clean floors, and when he gets older and needs his butt wiped, do not expect her to do it.. and so and so on..

Her father had warned her about doing things and not respecting him, his wife and step mother and had been grounded for 3 months for something else she had done, so told her if she did any thing like this again he would shoot her lap top.

So after commented and reading her FB posting where her friends thought was cool.

He put the lap top on the the ground and shoots it about 6 times and says now she might have to wait till she is in collage before she will have one again, or buy her own etc.

Now see how you like this being posted on your wall and see what your friends think.

If anyone else would like to explain it, that is fine..

It looks like I am in the minority here.

Personally I think that this parent just brought himself to the same level as his daughter.

He uses "facebook" as his parenting tool??? His use of a firearm, and the waste of a laptop, and his "studly" rant was very disturbing to me.

He might have made a gift of the lap top to a needy family or a library or a shelter and sent a message to his daughter that it should be in the hands of people who would appreciate it.

Her I Pod and Cell phone could have also been a nice donation to someone who would appreciate it.

He exposed his family business in the same manner as his daughter, on the very public facebook.

It looked to me like they deserve each other.

Have you said what you think about it Mary?

I think the word "dysfunctional" would work here.

The gist of it... 15 year old writes on FB about how awful her parents are, making her do chores and such, thinking she had locked her parents out of her FB posts. Her dad an IT tech, found her rantings after upgrading her computer for her, and video-taped himself and his response to her rantings and attitude, which included shooting her laptop computer, which he then posted to her FB page.
Thank you, you helped me alot.

I love it.my mil needs to watch it.her,grandson is 12,has 3 laptops,a desktop amd an ipad....stays in trouble,and tries to pick up grown women off fb....i would have destroyed it too...

I'm from an older generation and have five children age 46 to 32, with that being said we didn't have cell phones or internet back in the day. All my kids went to work at 14 or 15 to buy what they wanted. You know those designer jeans, rebock tennis shoes. They either worked for their dad on Sat. or me on Sat. at the grooming shop. They could also work cutting neighbors grass or babysitting. Nothin in life is free it is earned. If my kids wanted something they had to work for it. Yes we provided a roof over their head, clothes on their backs, and food in their mouth. but extras was up to them. Enough said. Now there is facebook and alot of social media, don't know how I would handle it, but kids need to learn to work for what they want, that way they will appreciate it more.

Have you said what you think about it Mary?
Well, was waiting and seeing what most would think of this..

Interesting and do understand the way kids are today. the more they get the more they want.

and for sure they believe we owe them.

I also commented on his blog, and this is what I said: not word for word..

I realize you where angry and had a right to be and found at first was what you where doing was Ok with me, but he lost me when he took the gun and shot the lap top.

I also believe a 15 year old girl is trying to fit in with her peers and she looks like she is a follower not a leader.

but and always a but I do believe children learn from what they see not what they hear..

I should ad their should be a consequence for her actions

So yes, Genie I guess I am with you on this one.. but I am not in his shoes, and do not know all they have been going through, but I do not think I would have went that far.

Although this sounds really great in theory, I think its going to backfire on the daddy. He has actually stooped to the level of his 15 year old teen by pulling this little stunt on her FB page. Since when do 2 wrongs make a right? When the daughter's friends see this, and she is publically humiliated, I think the earth is going to move like never before in that house. No Daddy, I don't think playing hardball in public has helped you gain the respect you wanted and drove a wedge a lot further between you and your daughter. You just bought yourself a whole new set of problems I think.

There is a further reply to this, the daughter lived through it, and doesn't seem to be too "emotionally scarred".

I do think it was extreme, but then again, perhaps this was just the wake-up call this gal needed.

After dealing with students whose behavior is a challenge every single day because their parents haven't parented--whose parents won't take control--and who greatly decrease the joy I get from my job and who distract others from learning--I think it was fine.

Latest posts

Back