What do you pay....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hayed our place this year. Lets just say the hayer was dishonest so only got 86 bales out of the 189 bales that came off our field.

Lesson learn..can't trust anyones word now a days. So next year.. he will have to place a bid and sign a contract. Because his word and agreed on price can't be trusted.
Well, the split sounds about right as you got 45% of the bales. The split is usually 50/50 to 40/60 and I believe it is the hayer that gets the larger split (I'll try to remember to check with my husband when he gets home what the going rate is and how it is split) .

Although, I do agree, it is probably wise to have a written contract with it all spelled out, then there are no questions as to who gets how much.

[SIZE=14pt]this year we paid $1.35 for first cut and $1.65 for second. these are 50 to 60 lb bales. [/SIZE]
DANG !!!!

DOUBLE DANG!!!!! at that price, our 3-string 100+ pound bales would only be $3 instead of $10-12... wow, what i could do with all that extra money :eek: maybe we should move to New York LOL

I know if I had to buy hay I would definitely have to cut WAYYYYYYYYYYY back on my horses and donkeys. I feed anywhere from 8-9 bales a day year around. Can you imagine at $10.00 a bale :eek:
default_unsure.png
: plus what our cows and big horses eat..OMG...

Shari, Up here when they split fields its always 50/50. So I think your share of hay, came out real close, but I do agree a contract is always a very good thing to have. In our area you would be lucky to find someone who would be willing to cut and bale a small field, especially if they have to take there tractor and baler, hay racks (wagons) etc. any distance, at haying season everyone is so busy with there own fields. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]hey Susan my parents have 65 acres for sale and we have 1,800 bales put up, way more then we'll ever use...i'll share
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

hey Nikki, if you can guarantee me no more than one month and no more than one foot of snow...
default_wink.png
: wow 65 acres, i would be IN HEAVEN
default_wub.png
:

how about this - we find someone to donate the fuel, i will drive up to your place with Betty Jean in the HUGE (7-horse) trailer, leave her with you for Petunia to have a buddy, and fill my trailer up with hay to bring home! :bgrin

dang i wish you weren't so far away, i would seriously trade you a donkey buddy for hay...

[SIZE=14pt]Susan, you could make it a vacation with the bonus of a load of hay...it is really nice here right now
default_yes.gif
: . Jody says it would only take you 3 or 4 days to get here :eek: ...
[/SIZE]

well i asked my husband... and he looked at me like :new_shocked:

so i'm thinking that's a no <smirk>

seriously i wish you were closer!!!!! however we are very limited on where we can live because of his health and anywhere in the northeast (or the southeast for that matter, or probably even the midwest!) is a no go. in fact driving from here to east texas to get my donkeys, about 2 hours before we get to our destination, the climate changes and oh my, you can SMELL the mold :smileypuke: and he starts getting sick... if we get there in the evening and he goes right into the house, we can sleep over but we have to get up in the morning and get the heck out of there or he will end up in the hospital. and darn it i wanted to stay and hang out with the gal, she is so sweet, and play with all her wonderful donkeys... but instead it was :saludando: bye and thanks and we gotta go <sigh>

too bad you can't mail me some of that hay though...

Back