What do you pay....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpinJackFarm

Reaction score
Just came form our hay supplier....we always try to buy "Orchard Grass"

Wow...it jumped almost 3 Bucks a bale :no:
default_unsure.png
:

We now pay 12.55 for a bale and that is ... buying several !?

What do you all pay?

**Oh...BTW....Alfalfa is going for !5-16

Timothy....17

I almost hate to say this, but I dont have to pay anything :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: we have about 160 acres planted this year and make our own. Bob, Chris and Scott (hubby, son and SIL) just got thru with 2nd crop. We sold about 1,500 first crop bales ...the small square kind, which weighed about 60-70#'s for $1.50 to 2.00. Our bales are a mix of timothy and alfalfa. Now if only you would be ALOT closer ..I know we have more then enough for the next year, and I know they are going to sell more second and third cutting. Our big round bales weigh about 1,100#s and we sold 10 to a neighbor for $25.00 each, those are wrapped. I have heard so many paying some really high prices for hay..or that they cant get any. Our fields did good, even tho we did have a almost 2 month dry spell, but that was right after they got done with first crop, second crop came back but a little smaller then normal. What do the bales weigh that your buying? Ce

Good Lord!!! :new_shocked: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

this year we aren't paying anything!! we help our hay supplier cute,rake and bale all the hay and we use it!! :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We usually pay for the fuel(for the tractors) and twine(for the baler)

Last year we paid $2.00 1st cutting(square) and $3.50 for 2nd cutting(square)

The hay I bought was $2.50 a bale for 70-75# small squares of crested wheatgrass and bromegrass mix; and I picked them from the field myself. The rest of the hay we raised ourselves so didn't cost $$$, just blood, sweat and swear words when something broke down.

WoW Ce...you and your Family are "real" farmers
default_yes.gif
: That is the way it SHOULD be
default_wink.png
:

and Kaylin ... I can't believe what you are paying :eek: Wow !!

as I always preach.... we live in "Bill Gates" country
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We pay HIGH prices on everything here. Our "gas" prices are the highest in the country.

I can't imagine if we started comparing prices of everything else ???
default_wacko.png
: we would have to move
default_wink.png
:

* and go figure... where Shannon lives in Alabama she has been worried all year about the area not having enough Hay due to the drought....and prices skyrocketing...isn't it a different story everywhere?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

anyway...the hay is beautiful ....but does look a little light (I'll go take a feel tomorrow Ce)

Jerry hauled it all today :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

didn't even break a sweat watching him
default_smile.png
well maybe
default_wub.png
:

i just paid $9.95 for bermuda and $9.50 for alfalfa today... not sure about rye as we are about out and need to go get some, it's further away so we get a bunch at a time. i think a couple of months ago i paid $7.50. these are all 3-string bales, over 100 pounds.

I really need to move! We pay $12.75 for 70# Timothy hay and $15.75 for 125# 3 string alfalfa. Where I grew in the southern part of the state, their was lots of hay fields. You could pick up hay in the field for about $2.75 a bale. Now all the hay is contracted by the dairys so we can't get it anymore. :no:

Great idea here~~ :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: you all just move up by me :aktion033: and I can keep you all supplied with hay, very cheap..we just wont tell Bob
default_wink.png
: but I must forwarn you land prices are CRAZY, and you would be living in a resort area so your summers would be filled with people but the rest of the year...hey, there is no one around except wildlife :eek:
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin and the "farmers" Corinne

Another thought while laying in bed wide awake last night was I remembered what our farrier had said to us. She told us the "Hay" farmers of the state were NOW growing "Corn" because the corn crops are worth SOOO much more ( I have seen many more corn crops this year ...that is for sure)

She also raises cattle and said the feed has gone up big time .... I also think she is prepping us for higher beef prices this Fall too
default_rolleyes.gif
: I have noticed as well the prices for a sack of grain has gone up 2-3 bucks.

Ce...maybe you should grow some corn too
default_yes.gif
:

I sure would love to have a few of your 1100# rounds too...what a deal :aktion033:

I'm in the NW too, just north of Seattle. I found a local supplier for an orchard grass mix. Paid $5.50 per 75 pound bale stacked in my barn. I have 140 more bales at his place that I paid $5.00 a bale for but we have to go pick it up. No biggie.

There is a supplier here for eastern WA hay and the big three string bales (100-110 pounds) bales are going for 11.50 for alfalfa and 14 for timothy/alfalfa mix, and the same for orchard. It all looks like very nice stuff. My one mini mare gets the runs on orchard grass, so I'll be buying a T/A bale from them occasionally for her.

I have heard the same about the western part of the state plowing up hay fields for corn, but I have also heard that farmers are really jumping the gun on that too. Does it make sense to have one crop at $180 a ton (corn), or several crops they can sell for a minimum of $200 a ton? Plus the price for corn is dropping as apparently there is such a rush to plant/sell corn, there isn't the capacity to process all of it for ethanol. I need to study more on the issue, as it's interesting to me, but I'm also very concerned about what it means for all of us horse owners.

Jayne

Teri,

What size bales are you talking about??? I do work for an auctioneer and we have hay sales every Wed - I need to pay more attention to prices. My guys have been on 100% pasture since March...

Last edited by a moderator:
Teri, we do grow corn, all of our rented fields are in corn, its for our beefers, we do silage...you know those long white silo bags you see....well, thats it. :bgrin Alot of the farms up this way have put in more corn now too. Ce

My hubby puts up bunches of big bales of Timothy hay every year - for our cattle and father-in-law's one horse (and our future donkeys of course - you knew I would have to mention them again... lol :bgrin ). I have no idea what they would sell for here in Missouri because we always keep every last bit of it - most of it gets used. However our neighbor has wheat stubble w/ orchard grass and timothy. 1000 lb big round bales @ $13.00 per bale and is plastic string wrapped.

...lol.. the wrapping I am referring to isnt the twine, its completely wrapped in a green plastic sleeve, so if they have to be left outside rain and snow wont bother them. Corinne

[SIZE=14pt]this year we paid $1.35 for first cut and $1.65 for second. these are 50 to 60 lb bales. [/SIZE]

We hayed our place this year. Lets just say the hayer was dishonest so only got 86 bales out of the 189 bales that came off our field.

Lesson learn..can't trust anyones word now a days. So next year.. he will have to place a bid and sign a contract. Because his word and agreed on price can't be trusted.

When I was able to get hay from my Hay supplier..it was costing me $5.75 deliever..2 string 65lb bales. But he did not have any hay to sell...is the reason we had our place hayed.

If I buy Timothy or Ochard grass..depending on which feed store..looking at $18.50 to $25.00 a bale. :new_shocked:

Normally I have them on pasture because by this time of year it is not very rich and safe for "air ferns" to eat on and I do not feed hay.

But becaues of all the rain..main pasture is too green. So having to feed hay early. Which is not good.

[SIZE=14pt]Small square bales of Costal hay are $6/bale right now. Last summer we could get the big round bales for $20/bale. This year, they are $30-35 WHEN you can find them. :eek: There's a real shortage down here and it's only going to get worse with this heat and no rain...
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon [/SIZE]

Back