What do you love about donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justagirl

Reaction score
I've always thought donkeys were cute. If I had more room I'd get one.

So what are they like....temperment wise. Are the easy to maintain or are they fence crashers? Do they eat about the same amount as a mini horse?

I gather they must keep pastures free of dogs judging from a few posts I've read. I have mini horses and large and lost a goat last summer to wild dogs. This may be something I need to look into.

Please tell me what you love about your donks.
wub.gif

I just love donkeys cause their so darn lovable!
wub.gif
lol, not one has the same personality... My Harry is okay about fences...he wont go through electricity but if its not on you can bet he'll be out, out, and away. Which is fine since he's usually loose anyways. He pouts after the vet comes out, he loves being wormed, he refuses to pull his cart for longer than 20 minutes, he loves playing with bags, his favorite game is picking cats up by their tails, he cant stand the cold, he's a master at getting grain bins open, overall hes a pain the
no.gif
. I dont know what Id do without the begger.

hairy1.gif

bag.jpg

cuddles.jpg

hare.jpg

What I love about the long ears is their intelligence. You can watch a donkey think about what is going on and how they are going to respond. Donks are different from horse (in a lot of ways) in that they can think about more than 1 thing at a time. A horse has a single track mind.

Donkeys are loyal. You meet up with a donk, let them know you love them, and you have a friend for life.

My jack is only hard on fences when a mare in heat comes by him. Other than that, he is gentle. He is a total clown! He has a jolly ball that is smashed. He likes to pick it up and wave it at the horses, especially the QH. When we first got him, he was stalled with the mares. He would tear up the rubber feed tubs and take a piece of it, put it on a mare and walk away. If it fell off, he went and picked it up and put it back on.
wub.gif

Those are some really cute pictures of Harry.

So what is the average cost of a young donk?

Are they prone to colic and founder, WNV?

I did have a run in with a donk in November. We had a birthday for my grandmother (95
yes.gif
) at a Bar-B-Q barn and they had a donkey running loose in the parking lot. Actually it was a pasture. Anyway out of all the people (~75) there, this silly donkey attached himself to me and followed me everywhere I went. You can imagine the jokes I endured because of this.

I'd love to see more pictures.
yes.gif

aktion033.gif
I just love to hear them BRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif

Something you just can't get from the horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

I love to see the look on peoples faces when there over and they all start to bray. oh the joy that brings.

Katie

Oh of course - the braying is so darn funny - especially like Katie said - when people are over! Hee hee!

My Jasper is a clown too, just so entertaining and so lovable! He likes to pick up the "grain" feeder and toss it around, especially when he thinks that I am taking my time about their daily ration of goodies. ( Beetpulp and sweetfeed )

He will also pretend to ignore our dogs when they venture in to "his" paddock, then when they are plenty far from the fence he will take off after them and chase them out. He use to be really ferocious about this, but now is mostly playing I am sure. I still know that a strange dog wouldnt even get the chance to enter and that is ultimately the reason I wanted a donkey. Now - I just love him for being him and wonder how long before I get another one - after all - dont you think Jasper should have a buddy?!
rolleyes.gif
Lori

By the way - just love your pictures aBreeze!!

Like everyone has said all ready.. they are characters in the extreme!! They are sweet, funny..and a lot of fun to have around.

Ella has decided she does not like the mini chickens and chases them out of "her" pasture. That way they can be safe by my house... and leave packages on my backdoor step.
rolleyes.gif

She like to play with tarps.. which I wrote about on another thread.

Ella will not challange fencing.

Yes,, donkeys can and will founder if fed to much rich hay or grain.

Donkeys tend to pick their person. They will do what ever you want.. might tolerate the family when they ask the same thing...allow strangers to itch them if you are around. Though it does depend on the Donkey.

These are two great web sites to check out information about donkeys.

http://www.lovelongears.com/

http://www.qis.net/~minidonk/imdr.htm

There isnt anything I dont LOVE about my donkeys,
wub.gif
they are all such clowns, each in there own way. Especially my Earl, everyone that meets him, adores him!
wub.gif
He even has his own "fan club" that comes up to visit him every summer.
yes.gif
Ella, Jen, Clementine, Wee-Bit, Earl, Taco, Snickers all have one thing in common..its there pastures and any stray animal had better stay out, including deer, or bears..they will chase them and bray up a storm making so much noise--no animal would want to go into the pasture! They are great at protecting my mini horses. Donkeys are so intelligent ...and they NEVER forget, (so dont ever tick one off!!
wink.gif
) I have hinnys too and I would say there temperment and comical ways seem to go after the donkey side, but my zedonk is just like a horse, not the clown at all and much more serious about his training.
wub.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
YES--LORI, I do see another donkey in your pasture and I bet I know where he is coming from..my barn!
default_wink.png
:hmmmmm...maybe WeeBit???
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
Corinne

Back