What do you like to see?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer a natural look. I am not a fan of the all the make up, looks too fake to me. If it is a pinto, then I like to see both sides. Location is important, website, and price. I don't want to call or email somebody to find out that their $$ is out of my budget.

I also agree that websites should be kept current. This is your biggest form of advertisement. For the ones that you have for sale, I really don't want to see a picture of them in their winter woolies, or a picture that is 2-3 years old. I came across a site recently that had pictures of their 2-3 years olds, and only had their foal pictures listed.
default_gaah.gif
I want to see what they look like NOW.

Wow! This has been really interesting. It seems each person has a different feeling about what will initially attract their attention when looking at magizines and web sites. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Of the 3 pictures I posted I can say that the one which would have most quickly grabbed my attention would be the 'natural' one. But that kind of totally unplanned pic doesn't happen very often. And no Carol, I got rid of all my leather halters! Wouldn't own one if you gave it to me. Too much upkeep and for the small minis with fine heads I've never seen one that wasn't too clunky. Me, I prefer a clean and well fitted nylon barn halter with matching lead.

If you look closely at that bottom picture you will see how unplanned it was. Mare TOTALLY ungroomed with chin beard, red oklahoma dirt in tail and my arm and shorts in the pic which thankfully the photographer was able to blur out! Our 'subject' at this time was Mooney's filly who was dancing alongside us as we walked out of the barn. Eliz saw this never to be repeated moment in time and captured it beautifully. She gets wonderful posed shots for us, but every year there are those wonderful shots that I didn't even know she was taking.

Oop! I'm late to the barn!

C

I like any well presented ad. All different types. I dont like alot of clutter with paragraphs of information unless it is an article. I like to see complete contact information, website address the whole works. I like to see complete reg. name of horse and his/her number.

For for sale ads I do like to see side shots with complete contact info and PRICE. I know alot of people dont list it because they feel it is private matter but like was mentioned before I guess if I have to ask then I cant afford it. I can ask for more detailed pictures later if it looks interesting. I definitely dont like to see ads that say thier horse is one in a million because if it were truely true in your eyes the horse wouldnt be for sale.Being confident about the quality of your horse is one thing but being cocky is another. oh and please please please make it in color if you can..Black and white ads are ok but color really grabs my attention....

Im like Jill, a nice posed halter shot will always catch my attention ...as well as a "big" trotting picture. I love flipping threw the journal, i normally find the farm name and then read/look at the pictures just so i know it goes with that farm.
default_smile.png
I agree... Nice halter and trotting(be it free OR driving) draw me in. Also a nice layout helps
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's a natural photo. I love your pinto with the wild mane. That would definitely make me look! I don't like to see horses with so much "sheen" that they slide off the page!
default_laugh.png

I like the head shot, but again would like to know where I could quickly see more. I also like the halter shots as much, with the same info provided. Farm name/location and website addy and email/phone.

The pictures are the big deal for me, and I like the show-groomed look, or the cleaned up "natural" look, but please do neaten bridle paths and fetlocks, etc. shave longer whiskers just for the ability to see them clearly and no fuzzy Winter ones preferably unless you do frequent ads and I've already seen the horse in his "prime" (for example, Buckeroo...I know what he looks like at his best, but love to see him in his jammies, and where to see him out of them).

:D

Liz

I like a full straight on side shot, the angle and head only shots can hide to much......

Charlotte, good action shots usually catch my eye first, no need to tell you why, LOL! If I'm shopping for a horse, I'll go look for more pictures, the standard profile with the legs and hooves visible, etc.

I think Mooney's pic is gorgeous! I love it. Something unique like that would also catch my eye.

That said, ANY good looking horse is going to make me look twice!

I love the "romantic" head shot. But horses in "action" get me most. When I see a beautiful cart shot or something, that's what really catches my eye!

[SIZE=12pt]Wow Charlotte, first off gorgeous horses.
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

I don't show, compete or anything,

my gelding's a using horse, & a rescue at that.

I always look through Miniature World Showcase

& the pictures that catch my eye are the clear, natural, pictures that are either action, or have personality in them.

My next horse will also be a bigger, using horse, & possibly another rescue. but I'm not going to be looking for Rescue horses in the Showcase
default_laugh.png

Picture showing the horses tempermate & that it's sensible. are neat. (though can be hard to catch on film, I know.
default_wink.png
)A nice picture that shows the horses conformation, & looks like you aren't hiding anything would be nice.

A price, location, and way to contact would also persuade me to contact you.

I have to say any picture attracts me as long as its done nice, and has a beautiful page layout to go along with it. Being someone who designs magazine ads/pages thats something I look at first. A really nice page attracts me to the rest of it.

I'm for the natural look to catch my eye on a horse.

Joyce

Hi

I agree, I LOVE the natural shots especially like the one you have. My next choice is an aciton shot. Those "natural shots" ARE hard to get and rare. I hope you were able to sell that gorgeous mare off of that photo? She sure makes me want to bring her home, bushy mane and all!

Good luck with photo - ing, it is essential you have a good photo of a horse for sale, no matter whether it is a natural shot, action shot or halter shot. There are buyers for all types of horses.

Beth

[SIZE=12pt]I like ads that show the true conformation of the horse. I remember one time finding a stallion I just loved from a "MHW" ad . He had a neck and tailset to die for
default_wub.png
and when they sent me an updated recent photo, his tailset was down around his hocks
default_new_shocked.gif
HOW do they DO that
default_laugh.png
and why would you wish to misrepresent your horses conformation when eventually someones gonna see it
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Also please give your location. What State are you in? If I'm on the west coast and a farm is in New England or visa versa, I might have to think about shipping costs
default_wink.png

I like a nice clean profile picture without any picture manipulation and I absolutely hate the greasy look.. Pedigrees included are always welcome..

Any picture that makes a horse look good will catch my eye. However, I do have a favorite pose. Here is an example of what I like to see in ads: photo I'm not sure what that angle is called but I love it.

Latest posts

Back