What do you find offensive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm i really have to think about this. Everything i can think of is more of a "pet peeve" rather then something offensive.

Swear words do not bother me, i have the worst potty mouth, but i know where not to and who not to use them around. At home, with my family, with my friends who dont mind. However, if someone comes over to look at the horses or im visiting someone or meeting someone for the first time i keep those out of the conversation.

Ohhh i found one! I take it offensive when i am treated like a child. I am 19 years old. I handle all the horses ext for the most part, by myself. If someone calls about a horse, they talk to me. If someone comes to look at a horse, the horse is shown to them by me. Lately, i have been horse trailer shopping and when they find out i am 19 years old they just kind of go "ohhhhhh". I think that puts them off before the even do the credit report, i make pretty good income, i work for my brothers business, plus i have co-signers. Its just the way i a instantly at that pointed then treated as a child to the point its rude.

I have plenty but you really dont want to get me started on them.

Today....people who give advice to be dishonest to get what you want. Where has the "ethics of honesty" gone? Why can't we just admit that we always cannot afford things? Life is hard.

I get offended at people being rude to each other. Especially co-workers in front of customers. I am also offended by teens wearing their pants so low their underwear hangs out. Ticks me off to no end on that one. People smoking around children and in entrance ways to buldings where other non-smokers have to walk through their cloud to get in. Here it is illegal but occasionally you still see someone doing it and that makes me angry and very offended.

As far as words, cussing around children is offensive. Black people calling each other the "N" word is very offensive to me. Girls calling each other "B_ _ _ _" is offensive.

Ok I guess I am easily offended. But there it is. As far as words to put in their place, well, how about their names. Hey Joe instead of Yo..."N" would be very pleasing to hear.
[SIZE=12pt]I agree with all of this. I get VERY irritated (and will call them on it, stranger or family) people cussing around my kids or any kids for that matter. *I* do cuss, it's not a nice habit, but I don't do it around MY children or other's children. [/SIZE]

I cannot tolerate racial slurs of any type, no way, no how. Derogatory comments on someone's sexuality will also send me over the edge. An example-Mia woke up VERY early this AM, so I packed both kids up and we had breakfast at a little place near her school. The old man's "coffee klatch" was apparently meeting as usual. They were discussing Obama & Clinton and how "they just want to give everything to the queers". My head swung around and I'm sure I looked shocked...and peeved. All but two of the men got up within a few minutes and left, saying the others were going to have to fight it out between the two of them. Ignorance of that sort always floors me.

Amm...what else... people just being MEAN to their kids, hurting their feelings and self esteem on purpose and saying things just TO hurt them. Why did they even HAVE or keep those kids? That hurts my soul....

They were discussing Obama & Clinton and how "they just want to give everything to the queers".

I havent watched much presidential stuff, dont get into it. But I doubt thats all, however it would be nice to have somebody that wants to make them equal to straights.

What I find offensive..or as Laura best put it, "Hurts my soul" is when folks disrespect their elders. When I see someone having to take an elderly parent to the grocery or doctor's office, or where ever they might need to go and depend on a family member to take them, and the family member is so spiteful for "having" to be so "inconvenienced" from their own time in doing so...gosh, that just hurts me for them to no end.
default_sad.png

Or when we're sitting in a group of folks and there's an elderly person among the group, and folks are just talking and talking and paying no mind whatsoever to the elderly, and then making comments of "oh don't mind him (or her), he's (or she's) too old to know what's going on anymore anyways. Mannnn, that hurts to see that! Whether they can physically or mentally acknowledge the goings on around them, they at least deserve the courtesy of BEING acknowledged. Please, don't just write them off so noncholantly.
default_sad.png

Oh, as others have already shared...the "have your husband call me to talk about things"....GRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :DOH! If you don't feel I'm "worthy" to discuss things intelligently, just because I'm a female ...then...DONE WITH YA!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, I don't like the cussing and mocking of others either, especially those that have a handicap. But that isn't the end of my pet peeves as I feel strongly about 2 other things as well.

The first is pretty mild, but it does demonstrate the lack of respect that people have for other individuals. It shows lots of selfishness and I HATE it when professionals on TV say this. What is said is

Me and "so and so" ....(complete the sentence)
default_no.gif
It should ALWAYS be
"So and so" and I ....(complete the sentence)
I was taught that you ALWAYS put the other person first as it is a big sign of disrespect if you don't. You wouldn't believe how much I am hearing this said in society nowadays. It makes those saying it sound like they are uneducated. No excuse for that.

The other HUGE and biggest pet peeve of mine is coming from my upbringing and the fact that my father immegrated to the USA. English is his second language, and honestly, he speeks it without a German accent and is perfectly fluent in it. My biggest peeve is when foreigners don't try to even use english when in public. They will talk about you in front of your face and say things when they think you don't understand. I learned some spanish and german when in highschool and I darn well can understand when foreign born individuals are talking trash about someone they don't even know. Here again, my father's parents taught us that it was RUDE to not speak english in public. And I HATE it when you go someplace in the USA and all the signs on buildings are in huge foreign letters and then in tiny print is the American version. I don't mind translations, but I expect that since most people in the USA speak english, that things are in english first. Again, this point of view is coming from someone that grew up with grandparents and a father that are from Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
This had been really interesting..

Im offended by:

1. Swearing, just plain old swearing in mid sentence for NO reason at all really gets to me.

2. People using Christ's name in vain. And its always people who aren't even Christian..What right do they have to be using Gods name in that context? Especially when the don't believe in him....Grrrrr

3. When someone asks you how you are/how your day was etc and then doesn't even listen to your answer.

4. Something that really upsets me to see is people being ignorant about the care of their pets/horses and especially children. For example: Seeing children getting McDonald's or the like really late at night,and then walking round the streets barefoot and unsupervised. Really sad.

Helen

The use of "got" when "have" should be used still bugs me even though it is used so very much. Also putting "me" first seems really rude. I absolutely hate the F word and ruins many movies. :DOH!

Add me to the list of those who don't like the boys in pants that are falling off. I don't know anyone who thinks it looks anything but stupid. Including my two daughters who are more of that generation.

Swearing.....when it's inappropriate, ie in front of children, people who might be offended, etc. I had a car full of kids many years ago, we'd had flooding and I hit a deep spot of water on the road that I hadn't seen and just in shock yelled oh sh**! I recovered and apologized to the kids and one little girl (about 8) said oh thats okay, my mom says that all the time. LOL. I knew her mom to be a nice, polite woman who didn't go around swearing in public, so what goes on in private......only the kids will tell.
default_smile.png

Lack of respect for others, walking on someone's rights/feelings just because they can. Bullying.

The amount of trashiness in our culture now - turn on the tv in primetime, listen to what's on the radio, some of the music lyrics are pretty shocking ( and I've never been easily shocked).

Jan

People with poor manners, for example at work yesterday I had a man asking me questions and while talking to me he was eating something so I could see everything in his mouth. I honestly nearly vomited...

People who can't accept gay, lesbian, bi, transgendered people...I simply can't accept people who do not accept them (for whatever reason) and to me those people are very offensive.

Swearing excessively and rude people. I am all for swearing if you have stubbed your toe or cut your hand but not these people who use it in every sentence. haha.

Anyway I'm off with the horses so I can't finish this right now!

I hate It when people use "pics" in place of Pictures or Photos. I don't mind if it's only used a few times but i can't stand it when people have totaly replaced "pics" for the word pictures. I hate it even more when in writting on the internet it used in a peice of writting thats not on the internet for emaple in memo or note. I hate it even more when peole say it in converstaion.

on that note I also dislike "netspeak" but i do admit to useing it myself from time to time but i can't stand when people use it in oral converstion.

This has already been said, but the racial slurs really bother me. I'm not just talking about black and white. I go to school with many people (and have many professors) from Asia and India and it is very upsetting to hear someone say that they should go back where they came from or make rude comments about their english speaking abilities.

Latest posts

Back