What do you feed your miniature horse in the summer (grass season)?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Last year Lil Éowyn did pretty good. I kept her on grass. Her pasture has a lot of space, but there's not much grass in the summer because she eats it down to the root ;) So during the day I usually let her out on two lunge lines linked together tied to a tire--we hardly had to mow our lawn last year! (I don't leave her like that when I'm gone or anything just in case she happens to get tangled [only did the first couple times but she learned])

SO ANYWAY, I'm going to be showing her this year and I want her looking fit and not like some of those fat minis/ponies you see out there. I'll probably put her out in the yard during the day (she has access to water and the cool barn) And during the night in her pasture. Is there anything else I should give her? Inexpensive nutrients? She's 2 years old and still growing.

What do you feed your show mini's in the summer when grass is always available?

Thanks!

Grass.....Fitness has a little to do with feeding, but mostly to do with exercise.

Last time I sent one out to show she was fed the same way all my others are fed with no additives but exercise was added to the daily regimine:

Purina Miniature Horse and Pony am and pm

Grassy turn out time to graze and play (I have a field that is on a pretty steep hill that works perfect for this)

Hay year round am and pm and during stall time

I do not stall my horses without ample hay of high quality

Forced exercise about 15 minutes twice daily

I might sent two more out this year, not sure yet but if I do, it will pretty much be the same

Be sure you loose that tire deal so your horse can get moving and trot and get up some serious exercise too

Latest posts

Back