What do ya'll do with your

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
During the non breeding months?

I usually have them out with mare that they are bred.

But right now we are having fencing problems. One a drunk driver went though the front fence. We got that fixed. They went though the fence and a couple of minis got out on the road. Thank GOD we have good neighbors. This was back in the summer. We had to deal with the insurance company. So now that we got the front part fixed, the back part that we took up a few day before the accident was put off so we could get the front fence back up.
default_no.gif

000_0004-3.jpg

000_0003-3.jpg

So now its to cold for the fence guys to work so I'm stuck with the boys taking turns in the middle.

But what do ya'll mostly do with the stallions. I know some people stall them and then others have their own personal pasture..

My boys all have their own paddock. Once the warmer weather arrives (if EVER) then I usually put a mare in with them to keep them from running themselves to death. During winter they live by themselves.

Our boys are outside, we have a barn that is split and then each side has a small dry lot, each boy has their own side.. Works out great, occasionally they have a "discussion" through the fence which consists of pinned ears, rear, squeal and then leave each other alone lol They stay in their little lots year round as I do not turn our stallions out with the gals as we hand breed them all

My guy is by himself winter and summer even when breeding as we hand breed. He seems a bit lonely but he can get the fence to "talk" with the other two and occasionaly squeal at the 20 year old gelding (who doesn't know he's a gelding).

I hate that I can't turn him out with someone but I know it would be worse trying to break up a fight or live with the injuries that might happen. He has such a sweet temper that we forget he's a stallion until that gelding "gets in his face"!

Thank God your horses were alright!!

During the winter I put my stallions in a paddock area together. They all get along during the winter months and have a great time being horses. They play together and even wither each other. But once spring comes, they are all seperated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boy is all by himself. I give him plenty of attention and he seems very happy; always kicking around in the paddock etc. He's confident, alert, and well loved. I walk him by the girls, he can see them all the time. But...he's respectful and happy in his own company. I'm lucky (as is he).

Yikes! That would be awful to have someone run threw the horse fences! Thank GOSH no one got hurt!! Jeeze!

Well.... I have 4 boys and 3 of them know they are BOYS! And 3 of them are just turning 2. The one is SO little I feed him seperate and then he gets turned out with the broodmares 95% of the time and knows to keep out of thier way..... he's "very" polite.....

The other 2 boys...... They are also "always" fed seperately.... then turned out with each other 95% of the time and they LOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE playing with each other! These 2 more so think they are "men".... loL! So they have LOTS of hormone energy and wear allot of it off playing! They have a big stall and then a good sized pen...... and during the day I move them 2 to another HUGE pen...... so they don't get board being in the "Same ol' pen"...... I find that keeps them content just changing thier routine!

ANd the 4th boy is just a weanling coming 1. And he's with the BOSSY yearling girls and coming 2yr.old girl that he'd NOT EVER think of messing around..... they are BOSSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure once spring comes I will have to move him. But those 4 have a HUGE LONNNNNGGGGGGGG pen/run that is about 100ft long and 20 ft wide and they LOVE to run up and down the pen racing each other! A HOOT to watch!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God your horses are okay.I hate that your fence got mess all up. What is wrong with folks drinking and driving do not go together. The drunk driver could really hurt someone or something.

take care

We have one stallion that needs a buddy otherwise he is very unhappy. He is kind to mares or young stallions. But then the other stallion won't allow any horses near him. He is not good to any of them, so he stays in a paddock by himself. He is next to a yard of 3 stallions/1 gelding and they debate over the fence often. The gelding was a breeding stallion until he was 5 so he still feels the need to compete. I make sure there is a chain on that gate! In Iowa we are getting lots of snow causing one big problem - that gate is getting shorter and shorter!
default_saludando.gif

Wow you are lucky your horses werent hurt! drunk drivers usually DONT get hurt , they just hurt others!!

Glad everyone is Ok...

Thanks everyone! We've had fencing problems but this iced the cake!

The really sad part the drunks that went though the fence tired to drive off!!! But their wheel fell off and the neighbor heard a bunch of stuff popping(we think she heard the fence popping). It was only 2 in the morning. The guys were laughing about, I felt like kicking them!

Glad your horses were fine. I have my older stallion, Booker by himself but he can see the mares. I then have my colts, Kid and Finn together and they also can see the mares. Booker, Kid and Finn can see each other but do not share a fence line and do not share a fence line with the mares. Inbetween the stallion/colts and the mares is a brook and fence on both sides of brook. Inbetween stallion and colts is a road for the tractor. My 12 mares and fillies are in one pasture with a huge run in shed along with Glory, our half QH filly.

I keep mine separated with a 5' fence from the mares, don't wanna take any chances. But, soon he will be a gelding
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
If he only knew, he'd probably pack a hay bag and run away from home!!!
default_whistling.gif

Mine have been alone in their turnout runs in the past, but I have a mare in with both boys currently. Echo's mare lives with him year round - they are both on a different diet than the rest, and they do cross nicely so I've just left them together except for when she foals & afterwards for awhile.

Jan

My stallion ends up staying in with the mares 24-7 only because they keep him in line, and he doesent challenge their authority.

I have one mare that I have seperated, in an adjoining pasture ready to foal out.

But it is best for him to remain with the other settled mare until her time comes, as he does well mentallythis way, and stays in good condition being with other horses..

He is very respectful of their wishes, and even stands back while they eat their special food.

Only when they walk away, will he see if they forgot anything.

I have 3 stallions and a little colt thats 8 months old, he is running with the mares having lots of fun, come spring I will seperate him, my main stallion has his own pasture, I do let a couple mares in with him, the ones he has bred and they get along just fine, than I have a 2 1/2 year old stallion and a 2 year old stallion that are together and doing just fine, my little 2 1/2 will be gelded this summer if everything goes ok. Hes about 31 inches tall and I can't register him in AMHA/AMHA because parents are not in same registry and I can't afford to hardship him, he is the cutest little one and he loves to jump. Hes my little clown.

We have 4 stallions. The boys all run together from October till end March. They have there moments, but mostly enjoy being horses.

i have 4 stallions (one being a ASPR show pony) and they all are pastured together all winter. come spring they always need to be seperated as hormones flair but usually they are in together from about october/november -march/april (depending on how they interact with each other). They absolutely love each other and play all the time. sometimes fairly ruff but never seems to be an agressive or mean challenging type of "play" i'm glad they can all get along in the winter as they really seem to enjoy being horses then and having "fun" boy company they can play ruff with.

Latest posts

Back