What do our members think of this fund raiser

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

we are currently trying to put together an AMHR/ASPC CMHR show for a fundraiser. We really need a spring fundraiser that can make money. Right now our main fundraiser is the fall thanksgiving one. Last year we almost ran out of money before that fundraiser so we really need something we can do spring early summer. Ive found an ohio facility but am having trouble hiring a show manager. This would be 2007

Any thoughts ideas really appreciated

Kay

Kay,

Can't help you by showing but I do have a suggestion....

Rather than making it a sanctioned show where you might have to rent an arena, pay a judge, etc.... Why not have a FUN show. You could allow any size equine and the classes would be strictly fun. We've done that here a couple of times and usually get a good turnout. The one we did in the fall had everything from miniature horses/donkeys to draft horses/mules. If you advertise it as a Rescue fundraiser, I'd bet you'd get a good turnout.

If I didn't have to work I'd be happy to come to a show!

I strongly agree with minimule, as it takes a lot to host a sucessful and profitable show. Sometimes it takes years before a show becomes well established and to the point of making a profit.

At least a fun show open to all, people can come out and enjoy it, and are happy with the experience and smallers "wins". I think this way, it would be a better money maker for the Rescue.

I think Shawna's idea sounds like a lot of fun... I think it could be very profitable for the

rescue. I like the idea of it being opened for anything from mini's to Mules. This could

turn into an annual fund raiser fun day!!

Some suggestions for classes:

Shortest tail

Longest tail

Dirtiest horse......we usually have it in the fall so we call it a PigPen playday...no grooming allowed.

Goofy obstacle course

Dress up; several boxes of dress items (scarves, hats, sunglasses, underwear, shorts, blouses, etc...), given a time limit, they have to dress thier animal and then judged by the audience.

Cart barrel race....can't break trot

Cart pole race....can't break trot

Prizes range from grooming products (donated) to horse cookies, to homemade ribbons (or donated ones)

We've had a lot of fun with it.

Don't forget a stall (or trailer if people show out of theirs) decorating contest... maybe even have a theme for the show instead of doing a regular costume class have theme costumes (superheroes, nursery rhymes, holidays), and themed stall decorating. Maybe instead of showing in show clothes everyone could show in a home made t-shirt each with their own "horse rescue slogan" drawn on them. Kind of like a poster contest that you wear! (hey, I can't go to the show, so I might as well give you all my ideas!)

To save money on trophies you could maybe do it "pot luck" style... have prizes donated by local buisnesses, but have each participant bring a home made trophy... they could be painted horse shoes or a painted wooden plaque, or any other similarly creative idea. Everyone would have a different trophy... just make sure nobody goes home with their own trophy at the end of the show! (and make sure you bring a few extras in case anybody doesn't bring one with them, don't want anyone left out).

And maybe for entry fees give people the option of paying the entry fee, or canvassing for sponsors to show?

Kay,

Larry and I are not officially "members" but we've helped some with Chances Rescue..... My 2 cents is -- I agree that a "fun show" would be much easier to put on and more profitable! I'm speaking from my two-time experience as an AMHA show coordinator.

Granted, you wouldn't have the registry behind you picking up the tab, BUT you wouldn't have to share a huge chunk of the profit either. You'd also be apt to get a higher number of entries. And you wouldn't be held to all the registry show requirements to make it "sanctioned".... just food for thought.

If I lived closer, I'd be more than willing to help coordinate, but Oregon is a long ways from Ohio! eeek.

MA

thank you guys so much for your ideas! My worry is this. I joined the Buckeye Miniature Horse Club after moving here to ohio. They put on 2 fun shows per year. Both lose money
default_sad.png
They do promote it and classes are only 4.00 each but they still lose money. I just dont see where a fun show can make money?? There just has to be a fundraiser we can do in the spring to raise some money. I do know that their rated show does make money. NOt a HUGE amount but a respectable amount.

Our club did a fun show for miniatures only last August and it was a huge success. In fact the money we made on it is helping to fund our sanctioned shows coming up next weekend. If they are losing money on a fun show, maybe the best thing would be to check and see what classes are being offered and what people in the area would rather have. Have it someplace where you can get stalls so that people can come from a distance to show but not have to drive early in the morning or late at night. Have a barbeque along with the show to provide food for everyone and to make more money. Get local businesses to donate items for both the show and the cookout. Prizes don't have to be alot, the whole idea is to make it fun. We went to an open show this past weekend and the awards were plastic drinking cups in the color of the places with the clubs name printed on them. There were very cute. Get the classes sponsored by farms and other clubs. If everyone sponsored a class, it would pay for the show and most of your money would then be profit.

We are having another fun mini show in three weeks because the town that puts on the shows asked us to come back and do another show. Our show two years ago made more money for them than the other three big horse shows did and people asked for the mini show to happen again.

The entire key to success is to get the public interested and get them to participate. Make the show just as fun to watch as it is to compete in it.

If we can help you, just let me know. We can sure try.

Are their fun shows mini horse only? Maybe opening up to all sizes of equine would help? And advertising at all the local stables, especially those with childrens lesson programs.

What about a horse equipment "dump and run"? We have "dump and runs" each year here at university, where you basically "dump" your old (but in good condition) stuff, and "run" ie don't expect to get a cut of the money. People can leave stuff when they move out of dorms, or drop stuff off at a specific location about a week before the sale. Then they set everything up in one of the buildings on campus, price everything, and have volunteers run it like a flea market. Its a great way to get rid of some stuff, and to pick up some unusual items you never knew you wanted :lol: The campus donates all the money to charity. I don't know how much they make, but I think it was a fair chunk! You don't have to restrict yourself to horse equipment either. (and make sure you reserve the right to reject donations of anything you don't think would be of value, or would not sell- you don't want to be left with a bunch of stuff at the end of the sale).

Kay, I've been pretty preoccupied with life in general lately and don't hang out here like I used to, but I can't remember if you guys already do a stallion auction. It would be something that could be done online and usually the mare care goes to owner and the stud fees go to the rescue (or club or benefit whatever applies) I do like the show idea, both fun and sanctioned, I just know it would be a bit too far for me to haul to. Since I have kids at home still I try to stay withing 3 hours or less if possible. But it would be neat to see how many would consider donating a breeding to their boys. I would do a breeding to Harry if anyone is near me. Just a thought. I'll keep racking my brains on this and catch ya later if I get anything. I'm pretty discombobulated at the moment.

Latest posts

Back