What Is The Future For The Miniature Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CK Mini right now AMHR is testing out some new classes. The classics have had the carriage classes for some time but has never been offered to the minis. This year there are several shows around the area hosting carriage classes to the minis. I know at Salina, KS this weekend they will have a timed obstacle driving course and at Glen Rose, TX they will have a carriage driving class.

The classic carriage classes they have carriage driving, carriage reinsmanship, carriage precision driving, carriage-working, and carriage timed obstacle driving.

Hopefully these classes will be well attended. I think it would be very popular in the minis. And your right I am a performance person, very rarely do I show in a halter class, just have the one halter horse and would love it if more clubs hosted performance only shows. The problem of adding these classes is we already have a full class list. Instead of taking away halter classes because I know it would be hard to do we need to take away some of the extra driving classes like, ladies, gentlemen, golden age, mare, stallion, gelding, 3 and 4 year old.

I agree with the idea of "training" minis, which I think comes from my big horse background. Especially in the dressage world, I have many, many friends for whom training seems to be the end and not just the means to an end. I could be quite happy just training my minis and seeing them improve without ever going into the show ring myself. That is one of the benefits of having a 4-H Club!!! I already mentioned the local show I went to Saturday on this thread, but I will add that almost all the classes are for performance!!! One halter class (at most) per division, plus a driving division using the USEF rules for carriage driving. Driving classes included turnout, working (a pleasure driving class), Reinsmanship, and Super Reinsmanship (a pattern class). Other local shows have cones classes. These are FUN to train for!!! And the local shows in our area seem to contact ME to ask what classes we want for our minis. How great is that! But we also feel a commitment to bring our minis (and 4-Hers) to the shows.

I agree that local shows are important to promote minis but I see a very new trend that I think could have a bigger impact: video competitions! First there was Horse Agility written about in a recent Journal article, and similar to dog agility. You train your horse of any size for the posted pattern (using easily obtained materials), make a video of you doing it with your horse, and submit the video and entry fee. Classes are judged and prizes awarded. Just this month on Facebook, a Showmanship class has been offered, run the same way. Pattern is posted, you send in a video of you doing it, with a $5 entry fee, and wait for results. No excuse that you don't have a trailer, gas is too expensive, you can't clip your horse, or you are busy that day!! I would love to see more of these competitions and more people having fun training their minis.

Performance classes really are the way to go, in my opinion. When I first started getting connected to other "mini people" I couldn't understand why so many people seemed to show their young ones for a few years, then breed for more babies to sell and show for a short time and breed... Until people can see that minis have a use beyond looking pretty and making babies, I think the breed will suffer.

I'd love to see more diverse performance offerings, shows that include a few games (for kids and those who are kids at heart), and more driving classes, like cones.

One thing I did this year was to organize two new programs for our local club. One is the Ambassador program to recognize those who use their minis for therapy, demonstrations, educational work, etc, and a Driving program to encourage and reward hours spent in recreational driving. At the year end banquet, these horses and handlers will be recognized in addition to those who win the year end championships!

As someone who only came into this last year i feel that people like me are the future. I got my mare because i sold my TB who was too much for me and i wanted a companion. my aunt knew someone with a pony looking a home so along i go and i couldn't leave without her. Found out she was registered etc and i showed her and had success. I'm now showing another mini and breeding my mare, and will show the foal. I got the bug because of the character and fun you can have with minis (i'm a nervous rider, could never dream of riding in a show or handling a large horse at one) i seem to be able to click with them, i have been able to train my loan to do a few things. I think the size suits me, as said i'm nervous, and would not do the things i do with a large horse. So yeah, people like me..horse lovers who are afraid...are going to have a place in the future of these horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The classic carriage classes they have carriage driving, carriage reinsmanship, carriage precision driving, carriage-working, and carriage timed obstacle driving.
Yes, I had heard this, and this is a fantastic step in the right direction! But it's going to take promotion from all levels in the industry (judges and trainers included) to view these as worthwhile classes to include in the showbill.

More food for thought:

Others have mentioned the value of minis for those in the youth, aging, chronically injured, or fearful categories of horse owners, which is great, but where do all our youth go after they turn 18? Relatively speaking minis/ponies are not that expensive to show compared to other breeds. I started showing at age 12, competed at my first nationals at 14, and now as a 25 year-old where are all the kids I used to show with? They're doing exciting disciples: eventing, barrel racing, jumpers, endurance, foxhunting, ect. While minis and ponies are a great option for those who can't or chose not to compete with "big horses" anymore, they are not a "plan B" by any means! Lets give people a reason to stay with small equines and work hard for their wins!

There are probably more "young" people who show atm here than older. They are kids of people who have had minis, to be fair. And i don't know what they do outside of minis, but they win a heck of a lot of shows lol

I show for fun (and to show off a bit). I prefer performance also. I have found that I really enjoy the multiple hitch driving, however it is very limited at the shows. Just a couple classes at AMHA shows, if it is even offered. My take as to why more people do not show multiple hitch? I drive a four-up right now. 4 X everything, time, harness, etc. And to work that hard to show just one class (to most people) is just a waste, so why bother.

It would be nice if there could be a division for multiple hitch, pleasure, obstacle, reinsmanship, etc. that could be run as a section so teams would only need to be hitched once.

JMTCW.

Re; Oldsters vs. youngsters... I happen to feel that miniatures are the perfect horse for us Baby Boomers. I will be showing AOTE (Amateur Owned Trained & Exhibited in AMHA) time this year and thought maybe at age 68 I should get a prize for being the oldest AOTE exhibitor. But then I remembered a friend who is a bit older than I am and has been doing AOTE for a few years already! I love that AMHR has all the classes at Nationals for Golden Agers, not that we will ever get to Nationals. If you ever watch Nationals on-line be sure to catch those classes and see how much FUN those folks are having! I was likely the oldest exhibitor at the Show on Saturday, and showing for sure the YOUNGEST horse (our mini who was a year old that day) and I couldn't be more proud of how we competed in trail and halter. That is what showing is all about folks.

Several months ago, I purchased a mini of unknown breeding, but more of the UK Shetland style. She is my driving horse. My Paso Fino is retired, so I had to have something I could keep on my current acreage & something that wouldn't drive up the feed bills too badly. I also desperately wanted to take up driving!

My mini is wonderful. The equipment is smaller and lighter than that for a large pony or horse, it is easier to drive on a small amount of property and still feel like you are "going somewhere", and it's just FUN! Since my mini is not registerable and I have no desire to show in breed shows, I am making contacts with the local driving community and hope to one day, make it to a CDE. There is something to be said for marketing smaller equines to people that are driving and want to downsize or to people that are just getting into driving. I've driven big horses and, after driving a mini, have no desire to go back! Minis are the Miatas of the equine world...ZOOM, ZOOM!

TargetsMom - Love the idea of video competitions. That would open up so much more to lots of people!!

BTW, I love my minis but the thrill of riding horse will never leave my heart. Can't imagine not riding even though my joints are creaking at this point. Lots of us elderly women still ride where I live.

MountainWoman - I felt that same way about riding until I realized I could get that same feeling (I rode dressage) from DRIVING a mini who was on the bit and working off her rear end properly!!! And as someone pointed out at the show on Saturday, the fact you can't ride minis also means you can't FALL OFF OF THEM!

I don't remember who said that minis are not a plan B and I agree! I get so much out of a mini that when my Arabian dies, I probably will not replace her (with another big horse that is). Because I feel safer around the minis, I play with them more. Since my Chloe was born a year ago, I spend as much time with her as I can! I don't miss riding, even though I have full access to a riding horse. I prefer to drive my Arab anyway. I am chomping at the bit for when my Chloe is three for all those performance classes that open up to her! That truly is where the real fun is at a show!

I don't think minis are a plan B at all but there are some of us who love saddling up a horse, heading down a trail riding on that horse or going out on a trail ride with a group of friends. I also love hiking with the minis for a totally different experience. I'll be riding as long as I can climb into the saddle and I'll have minis with me hopefully for the rest of my life. Horses in any shape or form are awesome and I feel very privileged to live on a farm where I can have horses.

I don't think minis are a plan B at all but there are some of us who love saddling up a horse, heading down a trail riding on that horse or going out on a trail ride with a group of friends. I also love hiking with the minis for a totally different experience. I'll be riding as long as I can climb into the saddle and I'll have minis with me hopefully for the rest of my life. Horses in any shape or form are awesome and I feel very privileged to live on a farm where I can have horses.
Minis were only a plan B for me when it came to training and showing since I cannot physically do that any more with big horses because of my car accident. But I will be getting another horse for at least trail riding but I wont be doing any more than that with them.

Interesting thread...

Coming from the purebred show dog world, and growing up on a TB breeding operation in KY, it all sounds very familiar.

I know in the dog world we do sell every puppy we bring into the world, from CHAMPIONS / GRAND CHAMPIONS who are conformationally correct. We do intensive socialization and developmental work with them from day one. We still have a patient waiting list when done. That is truly a blessing and a luxury and good for the dogs - if it is not a good fit to the (potential) owner, we do not match them. There is no oversupply pressure and if there was we would stop breeding except for our own purposes (showing). We have a lifetime contract to take them back, no questions asked, to prevent their going to shelters or worse. We have only done so once when health issues (of the owner) cropped up, and we placed the young dog again for a happy ending.

(EDIT: and FWIW we still have not made a dime, all things considered... LOL)

This is not the scenario with minis, so we did not even consider breeding (though we *might* someday lease a mare for a foal for our own use - NOT for sale - my wife has never foaled a baby and it is a life experience for sure). The bottom fell out of TB breeding and my dad only dabbled in it thereafter - VERY familiar story to this. He paid the mortgage with cattle.

We got into minis knowing that their chief skill is turning capital into fertilizer... and restoring your soul, and teaching you things about yourself and the world you will not learn any other way. Not to mention... enjoying being your partner pulling a cart, going over obstacles, etc. Or just 'helping' you do chores. Ours have excelled in all these things ;-) but I do see folks watch me drive in public places with that wistful look... they wish they were me in that moment.

Someone in that scenario will make a great and realistic mini owner, and I will refer them to the breeder where we got ours (who seems to place all his foals well).

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiosity question here...when you say you have a lifetime contract to take the dog back....do you BUY the dog back? Or is the owner expected to give the dog back?

In my experience the owner gives the dog back.

The American Driving Society has opened up an entire new world for owners of Very Small Equine, all kinds of show classes along with combined driving.

AMHA added reinsmanship, haven't seen any classes yet, but it looks interesting.

Our local dressage club added a driven dressage division and while the tests look very easy, I bet they are deceptive based on my ridden dressage days. I plan to go watch their first show, and might just show at the end of the summer.

Need to put together some semblance of a dressage ring somewhere.

I figure I have a pretty unique perspective, so I'll throw it on in here, lol.

I have loved horses all of my life and have always ridden the big ones- whether my discipline be jumping, reining, or barrel racing. I didn't grow up in a horsey family, but my dad says that whenever we drove by horses in the car I would just stare at them in awe. I have always loved being around them and riding, but there was always this fear I had- they were so big! Thusly, since I was ten, I knew I wanted a miniature horse. My parents finally caved when I started having seizures at 16, making it too difficult for me to ride, and I got my little man about 2 weeks ago.

I like the minis more than the bigs. Why? They are adorable, easy to work with, and you never have to be afraid. They are cheaper and a lot less work- I no longer spend 2 hours in the barn scooping poop, I spend 10 minutes and the other hour and 50 minutes playing with my horse! Plus, I don't have the facilities to ride, nor the monthly cash required of boarding. Minis are the perfect animal for horse lovers.

Coming from a newbie teen's perspective, the advice I would give to the industry is to make it more exciting! I find halter and jumping to be absolutely thrilling, but when I watched mini chariot racing on youtube, I was stunned! Think of the horsey sports kids like- barrel racing, jumping, reining, etc. They are EXCITING! They have their trademarks in adrenaline- whipping around the third barrel coming home, those jaw-dropping spins and sliding stops, covering a 4-foot jump with ease! I know that if more exciting events were created with kids and dare-devils in mind, we could really market those and grow more participants and viewers. Racing, "extreme" obstacle courses, freestyle "dancing", etc. People see a mini horse and think "aw, that's cute", and kids don't care (well, normal kids, of which I am not, lol). So... There's my idea.
default_smile.png

Also, as far as classes are concerned, there should be more that aren't as competitive and are good for newbies. For example, I think Liberty is the perfect class for newbies because it doesn't necessarily require any training, and you get the creative license of picking a fun song so you can show off your horse. We need more classes like this! I think there should be some way that kids and people who haven't shown much before can still win ribbons, also, even if their horse isn't the greatest. I think classes alter the perceptions that the public has about minis, and if we have fun, exciting, youth-friendly classes and events then people won't look at us and think we're uppity and boring with our halter and pleasure driving.

I also completely agree with the whole horses vs. "media" argument, because I know that when my mom asks me to clean my room after I've been wallowing on the computer or 3DS for 2 hours, I'm probably going to be reluctant, angry, and petty about it. Ask me to clean my room after a day with my horse and I'll be more than willing! When I come out of the barn I feel rejuvenated, happy, and blessed to be alive, though I know I will face horrors on the inside when my seizures inevitably return and render me worthless and exhausted. My horse is something I hold onto, someone who's always there for me, who brings me outside, forces me to work, forces me to think and try, forces me to get exercise and sunshine and makes those moments that I am with him beautiful and precious. Kids need an animal so they can have the same experience- one of the many reasons why I am a huge advocate for shelter animal adoption.

Finally, breeding. Do I think it's worth it to try for a foal? Absolutely! But not at this point in time when there are so many horses wasting away in abandoned paddocks or waiting for a home that will never come. If you are planning on keeping your horse, great! I have sympathy for people who are breeding solid, great-quality animals, but I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who are breeding unshown, poorly built, or poorly bred animals. That is irresponsible and selfish. If I would ever consider breeding, I would only breed a mare who was at least in the top ten at worlds or nationals. Otherwise, I really wouldn't see the point, despite a "great" pedigree.

Anyway, there's my piece. I know that miniature horses could be as "public" as thoroughbred racing with the proper branding, shows, and advertising. We need to bring more kids to the mini side.
default_smile.png

Do I think it's worth it to try for a foal? Absolutely! But not at this point in time when there are so many horses wasting away in abandoned paddocks or waiting for a home that will never come. If you are planning on keeping your horse, great! I have sympathy for people who are breeding solid, great-quality animals, but I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who are breeding unshown, poorly built, or poorly bred animals. That is irresponsible and selfish.
I almost totally agree with you. I believe in breeding quality stock that a person registers, even if they are not shown. While I prefer their parents to be a somebody, I care more about quality and registry. One can only get so much money for an unregistered animal, and they have no proof of its true age. However the sky's the limit with a registered animal.

When I wanted to breed my mini, who is unshown in AMHR shows but of excellent quality and 25% arenosa, I wanted a quality stud for her. My best friend told me there was someone just three miles from me that would probably let me breed for free. When I asked if he was registered, the answer was no. The stud was a nobody from a nobody. The progeny of senseless backyard breeding. He was a true candidate for gelding, but to the owners, he's "special and deserves to have offspring and gelding is expensive"... My best friend gawked at me preferring to pay a stud fee until I explained that I didn't just want another mini. If I was going to bring one into the world, I was going for the best I could find and afford.

I ended up looking at buying a quality gelding instead of breeding. When I went to see him, I liked him and agreed to purchase him. That was when the woman said, "Oh, and check out my stud!" The moment I saw him, I knew he was the guy I was looking for: looks, pedigree, and color. I was expecting a large stud fee, but due to him being so young and unshown, I got lucky.

The combo was my dream palomino filly with excellent conformation and a fun personality. If I would have went with the other stud to save a buck, I'd have a grade, low quality mini that wouldn't be worth the money to geld but would have to be. I'm proud of owners that geld. Owning a stud is a big responsibility, but since backyard owners figure they aren't dealing with the foal, they think it's a waste of money to geld. Especially since they can let the neighbors use the guy.

If a person wants to breed, then breed responsibly. If one hasn't been able to sell last year's foals, a new crop isn't going to help the matter. If it's for oneself, then breed the best one can, because if something happens and the foal needs a new home, it has the best chance at a good one.

I almost totally agree with you. I believe in breeding quality stock that a person registers, even if they are not shown. While I prefer their parents to be a somebody, I care more about quality and registry. One can only get so much money for an unregistered animal, and they have no proof of its true age. However the sky's the limit with a registered animal.

When I wanted to breed my mini, who is unshown in AMHR shows but of excellent quality and 25% arenosa, I wanted a quality stud for her. My best friend told me there was someone just three miles from me that would probably let me breed for free. When I asked if he was registered, the answer was no. The stud was a nobody from a nobody. The progeny of senseless backyard breeding. He was a true candidate for gelding, but to the owners, he's "special and deserves to have offspring and gelding is expensive"... My best friend gawked at me preferring to pay a stud fee until I explained that I didn't just want another mini. If I was going to bring one into the world, I was going for the best I could find and afford.

I ended up looking at buying a quality gelding instead of breeding. When I went to see him, I liked him and agreed to purchase him. That was when the woman said, "Oh, and check out my stud!" The moment I saw him, I knew he was the guy I was looking for: looks, pedigree, and color. I was expecting a large stud fee, but due to him being so young and unshown, I got lucky.

The combo was my dream palomino filly with excellent conformation and a fun personality. If I would have went with the other stud to save a buck, I'd have a grade, low quality mini that wouldn't be worth the money to geld but would have to be. I'm proud of owners that geld. Owning a stud is a big responsibility, but since backyard owners figure they aren't dealing with the foal, they think it's a waste of money to geld. Especially since they can let the neighbors use the guy.

If a person wants to breed, then breed responsibly. If one hasn't been able to sell last year's foals, a new crop isn't going to help the matter. If it's for oneself, then breed the best one can, because if something happens and the foal needs a new home, it has the best chance at a good one.
I agree with what you are saying and this phrase really jumped out at me. Minis are the only 'breed' of horse or type of animal that I can think of that instead of considering an animal not worth keeping intact people will instead think it is not worth the 'investment' to geld it. Along with that attitude comes the inclination to think it is also 'not worth the money to worm, give vet and farrier care, feed good food too and ultimately even spend time with.

Back