What Is The Future For The Miniature Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very positive turn is the addition of minis to the carriage driving world and shows, a brand new opportunity there. Focus on the fact that society is aging and the little horses are a great next step in marketing. More and more of us older folk are moving from riding to driving and minis are a great option as they and their equipment are so much easier to transport than that of the full sized horses.

Personally, we have cut way back, with a goal of enjoying them more.

One of the things that I've talked a lot about with my neighbors, is that the vast majority of children aren't being brought up with or exposed to horses of any kind, like they used to be. It seems that the children that do have the good luck to spend time with equines are 1. from families that are horse families already or 2. from a rural environment. People aren't getting "into" the horse world like they used to, because of costs and because really being a horse person, is for the most part a life style.

I had the good fortune of having a loving grandfather who was a farmer and got me my first "shetland" at age 7-8. It was the best gift ever!

But horse activities seem to be center around a few different types of people, long-time lifestyle owners, rural, agricultural families, people with money who can afford horses but who are indulging themselves, and cross over people who have all different types of animals, maybe from the dog world.

I haven't noticed a decrease in the over production of poor quality animals. It seems to me that the groups least likely to produce "excess" animals are the long time horse families. They tend to keep their horses for their lifetimes and the "stock" people who recognize when there is no longer a good market and not profitable.

Around here, horse activity groups are having a real hard time. Support is down. Our 4-h groups and state fair participation are shrinking, in numbers.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox! I will be out there supporting as many clubs as possible and taking good care of my minis as best I can, because they are a blessing.

.... Is the market going to continue to be so pitiful that a registered mini can be and is being sold for a couple of hundred dollars? Is it even worth trying to show when it costs so much money to have a trainer and be competitive? Is it even fun to show against other amateurs that are basically pros but "not" actually pros? Is the stress of foaling out a mare worth it when many times there is not a happy ending? Do we need to buy a 34" Shetland which is really 36" (triple registered) in order to keep up with the current trend? Agree or disagree with me, I'm okay with that.
Good questions... thanks for starting the discussion.

I am afraid the market will continue to be poor until "we" start to market the product (minis) as something of value other than just making more minis. There are SO many things that minis can do, even though you can't ride them. Therapy, 4-H work, driving and showing come to mind. Which brings me to showing because we took 4 of our minis to a local open show yesterday (with several of our 4-Hers) and I think the minis may have outnumbered the big horses! Certainly the 2 divisions with minis (Small Equine and Horse in Hand -any size) were the largest divisions at the show!! We also showed minis in the Color Breed and Youngster Division. Many of the minis were unregistered. I think everyone with a mini showed in trail (even our yearling and 2 year old). Entry fees were $9 for 4-Hers (which lots of us were) and $10 for everyone else. Prizes were nice, classes were competitive, and everyone seemed to have a great time. No one at the show could possibly miss the minis and everything they can do. Why aren't there more shows like this???

We have decided that the stress of foaling is NOT worth it and we have stopped breeding after 7 live foals (one of whom died young) and 4 foal/late term losses, some of them horrendous. Just gelded our stallion and his yearling colt in April and Buckshot will be 4-H project soon.

I think there will always be fads and it remains to be seen what will happen with the triple registered minis. I think a bigger question will be what effect the recent availability of the dwarfism testing will have on miniature breeding and sales.

As just a pet horse owner looking in, I wonder how or why any of you keep breeding and showing.
I love showing. My girls are out with their trainer this weekend and next weekend my boys will be out showing. It's a great adventure and a lot of fun and I do it because I love it. I can't wait to be out showing myself which I plan to do next show season. And it's all building to the excitement of Worlds in the fall.

As to breeding, as I said before, I'm not going to be breeding any longer. I still don't think there are enough long term homes for what is being produced even though there are gorgeous foals being born every day.

In the end, everyone is going to go through some kind of thought process to end up at their personal decisions. And everyone has the right to walk their own path.

I figure I will do what I want, how I want, when I want and where I want...according to my budget and my goals, to the best of my ability. And when it stops being fun, I will quit. Until then, I will continue to STRIVE to breed a truly kick-a@@ mini that makes my heart skip a beat. And what the rest of the world thinks is really none of my concern. Guess I'm going back to my 60's roots.
That's the beginning and the end right there. Well said!!!

Jandjmc, I totally agree with you: "horse activity groups are having a real hard time. Support is down. Our 4-h groups and state fair participation are shrinking, in numbers."

With more handheld games and cellphones in the hands of children, they aren't looking up or even around at the opportunities that are out there. Horses are considered expensive and dirty, and yet those that I've talked to with TV bills put out more on their TV than I do on my horses. I'll keep my horses! For the price of one video game, I can feed my horses for a month. What do I get out of it? Exercise, love, peace, discipline, and rejuvenation. What do kids get out of video games? Laziness, disrespect, and selfishness. When my kids are done playing a video game, they are vindictive, bossy, rude, and mad. When they are done playing with the minis? They are patient, kind, helpful, and happy.

I am grateful for our minis. Between my mom and I, we have five. Three mares and two geldings. Mom's in her 70's and she is able to handle and care for horses thanks to minis. She can no longer handle a big horse. We thought it was going to be hard for her to give up riding. Instead, she has replaced it with driving. When she passes on, I will inherit hers, and I won't mind. I'll have three of them in MY 70's. The future of minis? I only know the future of these: A loving home in which we play, drive, and show for the fun of it, not the cost. Besides, the cost of showing is still cheaper than a psychologist!

I commend mary for all of the hard work that she does to promote miniatures by exhibiting their versitality and for working so hard to involve youth with horses. That is the direction that minis should be headed towards in my opinion. All too often prospective buyers say "im looking to get into breeding" or interested onlookers ask "what do you do with these mini horses? Breed them? Since you can't ride them right?" And that in my opinion has led to the downward spiral of breeding and selling breeding and selling. Obviously supply exceeds demand, not to mention greedy, unethical or irresponsible breeding. I think we know the downfalls and where the breed will end up if everyone continues in this direction. I mostly breed on "pre sales" in that a buyer gets put on a list who is looking to buy a particular foal from a planned cross. Most of my foals are sold before they hit the ground so I never have to "settle" for low prices or liquidate. I only expect a few foals every year, only sell to select buyers who farm with horses or show or involve youth. I dont sell people on the "pyramid scheme" of breeding and selling ( it just makes me feel dirty). What I hope more people catch on to is the performance, recreation and youth possibilities that seem to be growing in popularity in the miniature horse world. I think that the registries are trying their best to keep up with the times. I think closing to hardships adds to integrity of bloodlines....papers should indicate quality, but if anyone can "buy" them they lose their meaning. However if they're too hard to obtain, registrations plummet and revenue is lost. I understand the delicate nature of the situation. I like that the registry is allowing useful crosses for sport and performance and I hope it catches on. I get a lot of requests for welsh Shetland crosses to be used as childrens hunter ponies as well as mini Shetland crosses for small child ponies. Offering papers gives the registry a chance to grow and encourages people to use small equine for more things. Yes, I know some people think "oh this crossbred mutt is now papered so it's worth more" and there will always be people like that. But if the majority of people took the opportunity to branch out and find a niche then the future of the industry would look much brighter. 4H is a great start, as it gets youth involved and incorporates agriculture. Tapping into the pony club, academy and hunter jumper circuits as well as driving, obstacles and trail as well as "hour programs" rewarding people's efforts are the future of the industry. Thinking outside the box and going above and beyond "breeding and selling" is the key to it's survival.

Agree with you AmySue. Everyone wants a filly and the poor boys languish and lots of owners keep dropping their prices until they are practically giving them away. Go look at the miniature horse sales pages on FB and there sit the colts. I think we should promote the benefits of geldings and how wonderful they are.

And beyond the usual activities with minis, I highly recommend people start promoting therapy work. It's a wonderful activity to do with minis, gives the horses lots of positive exposure and what better way to give back to your community. Lots of resources available to help them get started as well.

Yes therapy and volunteer work is a growing trend among small equine enthusiasts as they are less intimidating. I forgot to mention that we participate in lots of community events such as the independence day parade, church carnivals and fall festivals. My town hosts many agricultural fairs as well as community educational lectures and farm tour days. Our town also has an economic development comission who hosts all sorts of events and we bring minis to all of them. Talk to people in your town, people on the boards and comissions, (if there are none, think about forming one) visit your ag center, talk to the schools. So many opportunities are available to expose and promote minis, you just have to be diligent.

On the selling subject, I forgot to mention that contracting buybacks and first right of refusals as well as gelding contracts and showing incentives (like gending futurities) help promote responsibility when selling your stock.

The world doesn't have any animal heroes to worship like they did when I was growing up.I had Lassie and Rin Tin Tin, Fury, and Trigger, The Lone Ranger and heck, I had Mr. Ed. I told my mom and dad when I was just a kid when I grew up I would have a big black horse like Fury and a dog like Rin Tin Tin. I kept my word. When I grew up and got myself a great big black quarter horse that I showed forever in every class I could and a german shepherd dog all on my own and the rest was history.

I used to show Quarter Horses at least once or twice a month with my motorcade of students in toe. I was a 4H horse club leader for 5 years with usually 30-40 kids. When I left Florida some 20 years ago I left 48 weekly students and a barn full of training horses. I come here, and the bottom dropped out. Where's the shows? Where's the horse people? Where's the kids? What the heck happened?
I'll tell you what happened: Technology happened. The kids all wanted Nintendos and game boys, all that stuff and 13 year old girls were dating and wanted clothes. Parents didn't back up their kids anymore who wanted to ride or participate in any kind of horsemanship. It was so much easier to plant the kid in front of the video games or that Jack butt TV to watch trash. And then kids got lazy and decided horses also meant too much work and way too much responsibility. Now kids have cell phones and cars before they are 16 years old so who the heck is left that still wants a horse? Gosh I must have been a lousy mom because my kids never had a computer or a cell phone or a nintendo because i told them NOPE and to pick up a fishing pole and go fishing or swimming or pick up a bat and ball. Not to mention, clean your stall please before you take off.

Too bad kids now a days didn't have animal heroes to grow up with instead of all the crap they have now. Maybe things would have been different.

Birds of a feather Marty!! This what my new neighbors and I were discussing Monday evening. With our cul-de-sac abutting Ft. Bragg Army airfield, we were doing "what-if" and our discussion touched on this thread.

My program focuses on two demographics: the 40+ amateur who may still have fond memories of horses, and military families who will learn the benefits of enjoying equines even though they are a mobile society. I'm planning on increasing my marketing budget significantly (funny...when I'm currently horseless!!) As I've learned from this forum, SCORE, the SBA and other sources during my research, you have to ACTIVELY sell your product. If horses are your business, not your hobby, you must have a presence. With my goals, AMHA/AMHR/ASPC rated shows won't be my main venue for becoming known. State Fair, community activities on base and in local livestock-friendly venues, fundraisers...I think you get my drift. That's who I'm marketing to, so that's where I'll haul my horses.

Have there been any legitimate studies of how the closing of slaughter houses has affected the equine industry? It's a distasteful and controversial subject, particularly with horses. With the massive changes in our culture over the last 100 years, our horses have risen to the same place as Fluffy/Kiki and Spot...they are pets. We don't send Fluffy and Spot to be made into hash, so it goes galls us to do so with horses. However, unless (as an industry-so this statement includes ALL breeds) we are planning on instituting a nationwide spay/neuter program we must find other ways to curtail numbers.

Regulating it goes against the grain for a variety of reasons. Violation of our freedoms under our Constitution. The costs involved to us/taxpayers to write, then pass, then enforce these laws. Deciding WHO gets to decided what are reasonable numbers. After all, my neighbor thinks 20 cats, 1 medium size dog and two adults is reasonable to live in a 12x40 mobile home. The sheer COST to implement is staggering!

Then, we also have to take into consideration the lifespan of horses versus Spot and Fluffy. Fourteen to 15 years for dogs and cats is becoming the norm. Twenty-five to 30 seems to be the norm for horses. Is it any wonder our market is flooded?? So what do you do with the old, infirm and unfit. I won't ask our government to fund old horses' homes...I can't afford it.

Solutions? For me, slaughter with dignity. Put more funds into enforcing the laws we already have on the books for slaughter houses. To be blunt...skinny doesn't sell...simple. Support state Horse Councils, they are in touch with what's going on in YOUR area. Educate, educate and more education. I surf craigslist. Every ad I see with unregistered animals being sold as breeding stock, misinformation, inappropriate horse-handling practices, receives an email. It includes comments on the specific issue that prompted me writing, suggestions, and links to educational materials sponsored by the registries. The majority have responded "thanks, I didn't know". The others have told me to blow it out my....errrrrrr...ear. LOL As a person with a breeders' mindset though, I feel like I've done my duty to my breed.

So how does that ^^^^ answer the OP's question? It doesn't directly. It does offer some options and share my plans. I'll enjoy reading other peoples' plans.

Dragon's Wish, I am with you on the slaughter issue as sadly what is happening is horses are being slaughtered in Canada and Mexico and from what I hear Mexico is less than humane. For some, horses are a commodity and when they can no longer do their job they have to go. I've heard of horses being abandoned, left to starve, abused. Humane slaughter would be a better option than that, plus like it or not, the slaughter price sets the base value of horses.

Also, when the dog and cat get old, they are somewhat cheaper to keep where an old horse can really get expensive. To most Amish their horses are their cars and tractors, when they can no longer run they are junked.

Dragon's Wish, I am with you on the slaughter issue as sadly what is happening is horses are being slaughtered in Canada and Mexico and from what I hear Mexico is less than humane. For some, horses are a commodity and when they can no longer do their job they have to go. I've heard of horses being abandoned, left to starve, abused. Humane slaughter would be a better option than that, plus like it or not, the slaughter price sets the base value of horses.

Also, when the dog and cat get old, they are somewhat cheaper to keep where an old horse can really get expensive. To most Amish their horses are their cars and tractors, when they can no longer run they are junked.
Don't kid yourself, Canada's horse slaughter practices (not regs half so much as what actually happens) need an overhaul too. I think Dragon's Wish made some good points, lets see (in my case I'm referring to here in Canada) more money spent on policing the slaughter houses, make sure the horse's that end up there are treated as humanely as possible and make the ill treatment of any animal subject to punishment that has some real deterrent factor rather than a slap on the wrist.

So getting back to the subject at hand about the future of the breed here's my spin on it.

Stop the breeding already. Everyone has a right to make and honest living and if that is selling off their foals, so be it. But anyone that breeds anything now at this stage of the game is not helping the situation of surplus horses. So if you can't get your price I don't feel sorry for you because you contributed to the problem.

I think if anyone wants to help promote the breed and show, the best thing to do for some is not to give up but rather dabble in your own back yard at your local shows. There is not good attendance at the larger breed shows like it used to be and that is a great place to spend a mortgage payment and never get the results you hoped for. Frankly, it costs way too much money for the average Joe with a good horse to show, renting stalls, gas money, hotel fees, and entry fees so many people have backed away. Most people don't have that kind of money anymore to blow. Besides, there's always some drama going on. If it were me wanting to promote my horses, I'd be going to my local shows and shows within a reasonable distance, show out of my trailer for a day and be able to still come home with a jingle in my pocket. I'd be out there encouraging saddle clubs to put in classes for miniatures in a heart beat and you'd be surprised how many of them would be willing to do that. That opens up a whole new venue and brings new blood into the breed. Showing doesn't always have to be about big business and it shouldn't be but that is exactly what it is for way too many. . Its supposed to be about being proud of your little one, showing him off and enjoying him. People have lost sight of that.

Slaughter is a hot topic but perhaps if so many horses weren't being brought into the world each year, we wouldn't be considering sending them to meet their deaths. Horses are expensive and so are minis and I think we do a disservice if we market them as being cheaper than big horses. Yes, they eat less but here at least the vet costs the same, the farrier costs the same and on and on.

Responsible breeding, placement and training of horses and educating people before they buy about the expense entailed and the care involved in owning equines would surely help.

I'm not weighing in on the right or wrong of slaughter because obviously we have a glut of horses and rescues are overwhelmed but I just wish everyone would think before they breed and not breed just because they have a "stud" and a mare.

We are not showing this year at our local shows although we have shown with our local 4-H club since 1986. My health has gotten to bad to be running around in the heat. I too believe education is the key to promoting the miniature horse and have done my part in the past.

To the point of selling our horses for a decent price, some parts of the country are getting decent prices, but here in the east we are still recessed. I have a friend that paid $20,000 for a quarter horse for her daughter to show, she showed it for a couple of years then got interested in boys. My friend has been trying to sell this horse for several years now but just sold it for $2,500 at a finaicial loss, but as she said a good home is most important. So it is not only the minis selling for a loss here in the east.

Showing doesn't always have to be about big business and it shouldn't be but that is exactly what it is for way too many. . Its supposed to be about being proud of your little one, showing him off and enjoying him. People have lost sight of that.
I'd like to piggy back on Marty and other's comments about showing and I've love to see an overall perspective change towards training the miniature horse. Coming from the the "big horse" show world we spend hours working on our showmanship, trail/obstacle, and dressage work with our horses long before we ever get to a show. Showmanship at local shows around here is often the single largest class and it takes a whole lot of horsemanship for a youth to perform an accurate, good test. That's a world of difference from the status quo of handing the youth handler the lead rope from the horse that just won the grand and have them walk in the arena. As another example, look how popular the "extreme trail" classes are, this could be an exciting performance class that our minis and ponies are more than capable of doing.

And then I get to my passion: driving. There is so much more to driving than what we have, and what is seen as "valuable" driving classes. What about a reinsmanship class? a cones course? Things that take TRAINING, not just which horse is the biggest mover in the class. We are doing a huge disservice to our breed (more so in the minis than the ponies) by not promoting training, and I feel that's why we see so many (not all) driving horses retire from the breed show ring at age 5.

My opinion as to the future of the breed? I'd like to see us move away from 100's of halter classes with every split in height, age, ect
default_rolleyes.gif
and promote the small equine performance animal with an emphasis on training. We need to give people something to work towards, instead of just buying the next 2 year-old once their 5 year-old is 'obsolete'.

Back