What do I need?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to minis and bought my first mini a few weeks ago. He wont be weaned until July but I am getting ready for him. What type of harness and cart do I need to show?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mini's. ....But if driving is your ultimate goal, then you still have a ways to go. Don't be too quick to buy a cart or harness. A mini needs to be AT LEAST three years old before really begin heavy training. The last thing you want to do is to jump in too quickly and injure or discourage your baby. Her mind as well as her body won't be able to handle the demands of driving training.

So don't be too quick to buy a cart or a harness. You will probably change your mind about what you want several times before the time to buy arrives.

That being said....lots of people love the Jerald carts for showing and an easy entry cart for everyday training and use.

Barb

thank you. I was hoping for some advice like that. I'm just so excited. How much does a cart or harness (a good one) sell for?

You should plan on miminal $500-$1000 for a useable harness and cart.

Possibly you could find a bargain, but it's best to expect to spend more.

While you are waiting for your baby to grow up, maybe you should look around for a mature horse to start driving!
default_biggrin.png
Sometimes you can find the whole "package" for sale, as folks think they will do driving, then find it isn't for them and want to sell everything together.

It is important to buy a well-balanced cart; false economy to buy a poor cart!! If you search the forum topics, you can find out lots about buying carts/harnesses, including different companies that offer them.

So why not find an older horse so you can join us driving! After all, 2 little horses are twice the fun.

A Jerald show cart can go upwards of $1800 plus, a graber can be purchased directly from Mr. Graber for $1200-$1300ish or from others with a cover for $1400ish, but thats for show. You will need a sturdy easy entry or training cart to putz around in to get miles on him when the time comes. A good used easy entry can be purchased for $250-$300ish on up, if you can find a beat up show cart that is structurally sound, that would be great for putting extra miles on him. You don't want to have a show cart and beat the tar out of it (if your not planning on showing then you don't need a show cart). Whats hard to resist but is not practical for the new driver are those little mini wagons and such. Just not a practical first time cart ( I am sure plenty have them and like to play around with them, but just not a practical 1st time cart in my humble opinion).

There are tons of really cool carts, as you p[rogress you will hear more about them (the scottsman, the pacific smart cart, the hyperbike, houghtons (no longer manufactured). Lots of great carts for lots of different purposes!

I have actually done A TON of driving work with my full sized horses. It is how I start them. I just can't afford to spend more money. I bought a BEAUTIFUL little stallion but he was a good chunk of my pay. I hope to get more minis soon but not until I am more stable, financially.

If u are new to driving...trust me...get an experienced older driving mini. I certainly learned my lesson this year. I rode horses for over 40 years and thought, "how hard could driving be..how different..and with a mini...what can they do to you?" Boy, did I find out how I knew absolulely nothing! LOL..I always told my riding clients to purchase an older riding horse so you could learn from them...I should have followed my own advice when I started driving. After an accident...not the little guy's fault...I learned my lesson. I am not going into detail, but trust me...get a solid driving mini and learn from them and take some lessons. Then you will be ready to start a young one. Driving is a whole different world. Good luck with your new mini. Michele

Actually a good new EE Entry cart is around $500 to $700. Stay away from the brand new ones on ebay. they are total garbage. I know because I bought one. About the 3rd trip down the road (no heavy driving) the wheel bearings went out. It would have cost me $75 per bearing to replace them. But, I knew someone that worked at a printing plant and my carts bearings were replacement bearings for a printing press. They should never go out again and it didn't cost me anything. Other than that the cart is balanced. Also they ones with the 2 piece shafts are not real nice to drive with. If you end up with one of those I would have the shafts welded and get rid of the screw. If you are going to show I would find a used show cart. You can get some deals out there. Just save your money and keep an eye out. You can get a decent new leather harness for around $225. Just be careful that if you buy a used leather harness that there are not any broken stitches or stress tairs in the leather and a lot of import leather is either dry as paper or you can stretch it between your hands. Buy American leather harness and you can't go wrong.

Keep an eye on craigslist. I found mine for $150 on there, it's just a jog cart and will never see the inside of a show ring, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I plan to start Shake in it. The total price was $176: $150 for the cart, $20 to gas the truck that I borrowed, $6 for one innertube. The deal of the century!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I think that before you need a cart and a harness, you need a good coach! Someone experienced in driving can actually save you lots of money in headaches and mistakes. There are so many options in harnesses and carts that to the untrained eye, what seems like a good deal can be a disaster, even if it is American made. And yes, avoid some import harnesses like the plague! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I would not spend less than $400-500 on a good, new harness. But yes, sometimes you can get good deals IF you know what you are looking for!

A good coach can also help teach you how to prepare your horse for driving training, even at this age. Good foundation work will help your driving training go MUCH smoother and faster! And the coach can even be a "big horse" person! Just make sure that the person you pick to help you is familiar with the driving you hope to do, i.e. draft horse person might not to be able to teach you how to make your Fine Harness horse look great!

Myrna

Latest posts

Back