What colour is she?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latika

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is a photo of my new filly, I bought her in January but only got her home 2wks ago.

She is registered as a Taffy Medicine Hat, but I am not sure if that is what she is at all. And here in Oz unfortunately they havent adopted listing base colours for the silver gene (all are just called "taffy"
default_wacko.png
: )

this was taken before i bought her, last october

HPIM1218.jpg

HPIM1212.jpg

and this is one I took when i got her home of her forelock

Tam010.jpg

Her sire is chestnut medicine hat, and mum is a solid taffy (dont know base colour)

What do you think she is? I am hoping she is Black :bgrin but I have my doubts, I am thinking Liver Chestnut, which I hope she isnt as it will limit the foal colour possibilities to my pally pinto stallion!

Thanks in advance!!

From the photos, I'm going to say black. Hard to tell from pictures, but her forelock/mane look too dark to be silver. Whatever she is, she is very pretty!
default_smile.png

Cant help with the color, but she sure is pretty....

Unless there is something that doesn't show in the photos, she is black. Many Black foals are born a silvery color and get darker as they shed their foal coats. I think that confuses many people and causes them to register them as Silver (or in your case as Taffy).

By the way, I really like her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree
default_yes.gif
: ....I see absolutely NO sign of Silver (or Taffy) on that girl at all. Looks like a Black Tovero to me! She is lovely.....I really like her black eyeliner too! :aktion033:

Thanks for your kind comments guys! She is a gorgeous little filly. Ooh I'd love for her to be black!
default_yes.gif
:

Would it be beneficial to test her for Red & Agouti genes? is it possible she'd carry both? and I'd do Silver just to be sure.. If she were a liver chestnut taffy would it show?
default_wacko.png
: All this colour stuff gets me soo confused!

When I first saw her I didnt think she was Taffy because of no silver mane & tail. In the show pics she looks more black than now with her winter coat coming up. She will be getting clipped again in 3wks, so i might post some pics then :bgrin

Photo in sunlight, taken in October, thought it might be a bit brighter to see lol

Tam.jpg

I know nothing about color, :eek: just wanted to say that she's beautiful.... I love medicine hat pintos
default_wub.png
: .

Ash

I do think she is Black base but I would test her anyway, then you will know for sure- you might test for Cream- I am not sure if there is any in her pedigree but IME when there is that little colour on a horse it tends to concentrate- so I would have expected the bit she has to be blacker than black- for this reason I would hazard she might be Smoky Black- if you are going to test I would do it for Red,+ Agouti that should cover your bases.

IF she came back as Red based then she does not have Cream.

She could however have Silver!!

So, if she were to be Red based I would test for Silver.

If she comes back Black based I would test for Cream.

That would, I think, cover everything.

I do agree she is a lovely mare- how big, what bloodlines, come on, jump to it!!!
default_smile.png

default_wub.png
: Wow guys, you have no idea what it means to hear (read) people from overseas say that my filly is so stunning!

Ok, well I think it might be most beneficial for me to just test her for everything LOL I was hoping to narrow it down to just a few tests, as am getting my stallion done for almost everything as well, just to know for sure.

Ok, I highly doubt that her bloodlines will be of much recognition to alot of you, as she is Western Australian bred. Her name is Rainbow Park Temptress she is only 1yr old and measures 31 3/4, fingers are crossed she wont go overheight, the limit here is 34" (not sure if same everywhere?). I am not really fussed if she does go over, as my stallion is small and she is gorgeous!

Her sire is Rainbow Park Psycho, who is a grandson of Coat-O-Chrome. her Dam is Country Roads Princess Royal, who is by Twin Oaks Mini Prince an imported USA Stallion, and out of a mare named Cherokee's Lady Di.

If you recognise anything let me know! I am not familiar with her bloodlines really, but Rainbow Park does very very well at the shows in WA.

:bgrin thanks again guys!! I will let you all know what the test results are when I get around to sending them off, thanks for all your help, and I really really hope she is black!
default_yes.gif
:

She is black and white but not medicen hat. SHe has to much for a hat, just a bald face.

[SIZE=14pt]WOW!!!!!!!!!! She is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
:
[/SIZE]

Whatever color she is -- she is quite lovely. Thanks for sharing all those photos with us.

JJay

Latest posts

Back