What colors CAN a horse see?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbait4sure

Reaction score
I have just finished making a wonderful teeter totter for Obstacle class and need to paint the area they walk on. I do not know what color to paint the part they step on...I know I'll be putting that rough material ( like sandpaper) on it to keep them from slipping, but need a color they can SEE for paint.

What advice do you all have for me?????

Thanks!

Just from personal experience -- definitely red, green, AND blue. They also seem to have preferences in colors. We have halters and leads those colors and they tell us which they don't want to wear!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

MA

If you want to make it really challenging (what am I saying - I might encounter this bridge sometime!) paint a big black circle in the middle of it. I have seen this in regular (riding) trail classes and the horses think there is a hole in the bridge and won't go near it. And yes, Target, my trail horse, did go over it, as soon as I asked him to.

When I used to do Eventing it was always the bright Yellow showjumps that the horses shy'd at most... so not sure what this means exactly? if they see the colour or if it just looks spooky? LOL

I read an Equis magazine a couple years ago about colors horses see and I need to find it because I don't remember it to well. However one thing I do remember is how odd there colors are compared to ours. For example green is orange for them! I couldn't believe it myself I find it a bit crazy that scientists can figure that stuff out. If I come up with it I'll reply with more colors but maybe they are on the internet somewhere Good Luck with the bridge!
default_thumbup.gif
:

Ok You all with the advice.... I just bought a gallon of bright red outdoor paint for both my teeter totter and my trench for the wheel of your cart. I'll let you know how it goes.....and Mary, I'm putting a HUGE Black spot in the middle for YOU!

First, make sure its safe. I know alot of judges wont allow it as its not safe enough, and if the judges dont like it, it will get pulled from your pattern.

We have a bridge. Big black spot in the middle other colors on the ends. They dont shy at any of the colors except the big black hole.

Latest posts

Back