What Color Pattern Is Lucy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusiveHussler

Reaction score
I've been wondering what color pattern Lucy is...I've posted pics somewhere else and people were saying Overo and others were saying Tobiano...

L+N.jpg

Picture%20052.jpg

Lucy2_956329.jpg

LF_469695.jpg

So...anyone know what she is??

She looks like a beautiful tobiano to me!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz

She looks like a "minimal" Tobiano to me.
default_yes.gif
: She has no facial white, which Overo patterns would normally put on a horse. Do you know what patterns her parents were?

She looks like a "minimal" Tobiano to me.
default_yes.gif
: She has no facial white, which Overo patterns would normally put on a horse. Do you know what patterns her parents were?
I don't know who her parents are off hand(I'll look that up)...I think she might have a tiny star though, but she's been so fuzzy I can't tell anymore LOL

Thank you both!

I would definately say she is tobiano, but I wouldn't consider her to be a "minimal" pinto, as she does have a fair amount of white on her. My idea of a minimal pinto, is one that looks very much like a solid colored horse, with only very small areas of white.

So I guess Tobiano it is then.

I was worried since we don't know who the stud is that if she was Overo and so was the stud I would be in deep trouble...

Her sire is NFC Egyptian Kings Illusion and her dam is Grosshill Gamblers Quick Hustle.

On on her papers I can see a tiny white star smack dab in the middle of her forhead.

Does any of this help some more?

[SIZE=14pt]She is definetely Tobiano. Best way to tell is on Tobianos the white will cross over the back between the tail and withers. Sometimes it doesn't show that and they are minimal but the patterns are different if you really get to know them.. Overos the dark color is solid across the back between withers and tail. Toveros are a combination of the two, generally lots of white around face eyes, and crosses the back. as far as the little star that is just her markings like socks,star, strips etc.[/SIZE]

Tobiano's do not normally have four dark legs. I would be interested to know if she does have face white. I suspect there is something going on here we have missed.

I would also suggest testing her before breeding her to a LWO stallion, just to be safe.

She does on first look, seem to be a visual Tobiano, but that means nothing
default_yes.gif
:

No white markings on face (that I can see) or legs & very little white on body is why my "guess" was a Minimal Tobi. Dark legs are not "typical" on tobianos...but can be on "minimal" Tobis. Of course, the LWO gene can hide well....so I would never discount that on ANY pinto.
default_wink.png
:

Lucy does have a tiny white star on her forhead. And she also has 3 coronet band socks.

I'm just worried that if she's an Overo and the stud that got to her is an Overo then we'd have a big problem...If I ever decide to breed her(on purpose) then I'll deffinately have her tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucy does have a tiny white star on her forhead. And she also has 3 coronet band socks.

I'm just worried that if she's an Overo and the stud that got to her is an Overo then we'd have a big problem...If I ever decide to breed her(on purpose) then I'll deffinately have her tested.
Then I would definitely have her tested for the LWO gene. BTW....it's not ALL Overo x Overo breedings that you have to worry about. It's only the FRAME pattern that carries the LWO gene. You can safely breed a horse who carries the LWO gene to another Overo pattern, such as Splash or Sabino.
default_yes.gif
: (as long as they don't carry the Frame (LWO) pattern as well.)

[SIZE=12pt]I pulled these out of the Miniature Horses book, Their care, Breeding, and Coat colors. I also got the color Descriptions from a APHA poster. Hope they help. Your mare does look only Tobiano to me. Allison[/SIZE]
efe4d970.jpg
efe4d97d.jpg

Then I would definitely have her tested for the LWO gene. BTW....it's not ALL Overo x Overo breedings that you have to worry about. It's only the FRAME pattern that carries the LWO gene. You can safely breed a horse who carries the LWO gene to another Overo pattern, such as Splash or Sabino.
default_yes.gif
: (as long as they don't carry the Frame (LWO) pattern as well.)
Oh, ok. Thanks! I'm still learning about coat patterns and the like.

Latest posts

Back