What color is this mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fantacsix

She has a white mane and tail, what color is she?

390136139.jpg

my vote is chestnut with flaxen (maybe silver) mane and tail possibly carries the pangarie gene evident by the paler belly. Facial white is usually evident of some type of pinto in the past generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is she?

What color are her parents?

She looks sorrel with flaxen mane and tail. It almost looks like she may have some roaning. Does she? If so, I would call her a sorrel sabino.

If she is young (2-3 yrs.) she could be a silver bay. I had a mare that did not get the gray tint to her lower leg (had 3 socks) until she was almost five. She was registered as a chestnut but turned out to be a silver bay.

Interested to see what other people think.

Father is a chestnut, Royal Firecracker, and dam is a Bay.

Is there any chestnut colored spots/marks on her white parts? That would be a good indication of sabino..

Chestnut Sabino, Pangaré is possible but Sabinos do tend to fade out like that , especially on Red base.

Silver does not show on Red, only on Black base. It has no effect on the mane and tail of Red based animals, as many Red carrying Silver animals with self coloured manes and tails attest.

It is Flaxen that affects the shade of the mane and tail.

Latest posts

Back