What color is my '05 filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to posting pics of our first foal ever we had born in August - a long time coming I know. Our new computer has made things so much easier! This filly has been a weird color from the start. I've heard everything from silver chestnut to silver dapple to gray to sorrel. I know what I think she is and now I'm just wondering what you all think. Her dam is my Andy daughter registered as sorrel pinto and the sire is registered as gray with app characteristics. I am pretty much in love with this mare Dolly so I had to include a picture of her as well. She was 13 when she foaled for us and is getting a much deserved break from motherhood this year. The first two pics were taken at about a day old and the second two I took the end of January. She is my wooly little buffalo in those two! Can't wait to clip! So what color do you think she is?? I apologize in advance if the pictures are huge - only my 2nd try at this....

Zoey.jpg

Dolly.jpg

177ee08b.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Your filly is a doll and the mare is just gorgeous! I can see why you like her sooo much

If I had to guess, I would say silver dapple but I think you might have to wait until you "unwrap" her!

They are beautiful. I would guess the filly to be a silver dapple as well.

I definetly agree with everyone else, I have a mare that looked just like that and during the summer she would turn grey, but during the wonter she would get the brown, and she is registered silver dapple pinto.! Unfortunatly dolly is as everyone can tell, very much mistreated and must come home with me emmediatly!, lol! She is gorgous i love the dark palominos and I like the sorrels with flaxen mane and tails, and to have those high white socks on top of it.... geez, I am jelous!
default_wub.png
:

The mare is lovely and looks to be a Silver Bay.

The foal is also lovely and looks to be a Silver Black but may possibly turn out to be Silver Bay- she does tend to that in a couple of the photos- if you clip her it will be rhetorical as both colours look pretty similar when clipped- if you really want to know (and I would) then have her tested for Agouti- if she is Bay base she will come up positive for Agouti, without it she will be Black base
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments! It's good to know I'm not just barn blind on this mare. She was my graduation present from my parents and probably the nicest gift I'll ever get.

Fizz--I too have been thinking Dolly may actually be silver bay. She is supposedly out of two sorrel or chestnut pintos but one of them could very well have carried silver I'm sure, or I should the dam may have because I don't think Boone's Little Andy did. Maybe I'll have her tested one of these days.

Anyone else want to take a stab at the filly's color? Like I said, I can't wait to get the clippers out!

I think you'll have to wait until you clip her, or even clip her head and neck to be able to tell more definitely what color she really is!

Your mare is really gorgeous, and has such a nice eye, bet she is a sweetie! Both very nice! :lol:
default_smile.png
:lol:

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments! It's good to know I'm not just barn blind on this mare. She was my graduation present from my parents and probably the nicest gift I'll ever get.

Fizz--I too have been thinking Dolly may actually be silver bay. She is supposedly out of two sorrel or chestnut pintos but one of them could very well have carried silver I'm sure, or I should the dam may have because I don't think Boone's Little Andy did. Maybe I'll have her tested one of these days.

Anyone else want to take a stab at the filly's color? Like I said, I can't wait to get the clippers out!
Well....your mare is most definitely carrying silver, with that silver/white mane & tail!
default_yes.gif
:

You won't be able to tell the color of the filly by clipping at this point. As both Silver Dapple & Silver Bay will clip out to look Silver-Dapple. BUT....when the summer hair grows in...you will know for sure. If it comes back in red...she's a Silver-Bay.
default_yes.gif
:

What a beautiful mare and WOW gorgeous color that just grabs your attention!

I say the mare is silver bay or silver chestnut.

Foal is something silver....not sure what!!!!

She looks silver chestnut or just chestnut as a newborn....and the older pictures look silver buckskin to me! However I don't know if dilute is even a possiblity as I don't remember if you said the color of the sire?

Filly's sire is a "true gray" with app characteristics. I don't think she could be silver buckskin then, not completely sure though...

It would be interesting to know what color the sire started out as. He has to be a greyed out something. Grey just fades away the original coloring of a horse. What color are his parents?

Hi Jayne -- The filly's grandsire is Jandts Bay N Bee, a solid bay, and her granddam is also a Jandts horse registered as solid white. I find that hard to believe though. I'm guessing it should be solid gray. Does that help at all?

He obviously got the grey from his dam and did not get cream dilute from his sire. However, it could still be there on the dam's side. Maybe you will just have to wait and see what that filly looks like in summer coat to know if she is a cream dilute. She does remind me of silver buckskin in a couple of those pictures too. She just doesn't look quite like my silver blacks.

:lol: Thanks Jayne! I was originally thinking gray (or maybe I was just hoping gray
default_wub.png
: ) but now I'm leaning toward silver dapple or silver bay. Time will tell. Do you think AMHR will accept "silver something" as a color option? HAHA

Latest posts

Back