What color is my '05 filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If she were a true fading grey, the white hairs would be more concentrated around her face.

I say she is not a true grey.

My vote is either smokey black plus silver, or else black plus silver, or buckskin plus silver. I clearly see dark charcoal points on her legs.

The foal pictures just don't jive with the older pictures...especially the foal's mane/tail coloration and the coat appears to be red based.....got any more pictures of the foal coat, dry, and in clear lighting?

Hi Lauralee -- thanks for your insight. I will post some dry, newborn pics in better lighting tonight when I get back home. I don't know how much they'll help though. She was red when she was born and over the next couple of days got a more silver look to her coat. We just figured she was sorrel. We had many visitors including several people who have been raising Quarter Horses for YEARS and they all said sorrel. This is getting so confusing!

To me she looks silver bay. There is a darkness to her legs just above her rear socks, so I think that chestnut or sorrel is definitely out (in my opinion anyway!
default_smile.png
)

Both foal and mother are gorgeous!!
default_wub.png
:

He obviously got the grey from his dam and did not get cream dilute from his sire. However, it could still be there on the dam's side. Maybe you will just have to wait and see what that filly looks like in summer coat to know if she is a cream dilute. She does remind me of silver buckskin in a couple of those pictures too. She just doesn't look quite like my silver blacks.
If Cream is present, it has to come from the sire. Absolutely none in the dam. If so, she would be a Silver Buckskin, not a Silver Bay as she obviously is.

With the sire's sire being a Bay, and sire's dam being solid White, that White could be grayed out Palomino, Buckskin, or Cremello, to POSSIBLY pass on the Cream gene and it would never show..

Songcatcher, I was talking about the filly's sire there. Notice the "He" at the beginning.
default_smile.png
I'm sorry if I confused someone.

Here are two more pictures at a few hours old and two days old. The lighting isn't exactly the clearest but you can definitely see the reddish to the coat I had mentioned earlier. I think you can see why so many people said she was sorrel right off the bat. She's a tricky one but she keeps things interesting!

Zoeyshead.jpg

DollZoe.jpg

Latest posts

Back