What color is he considered?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctgponies

Reaction score
My husband and I just got this little guy from a Mennonite farmer who took him in trade from an Amish farm. He's very underweight and had been sick so please pardon the pictures. We took them right after he came off of the trailer.

We've had him a week and are working on getting him healthy and in good weight. We are calling him Pumpkin because of his color. We would like to get him registered (hardship) as a Pinto. Would you consider him a red roan pinto?

Appreciate the help!

newmini1.jpg

newmini3.jpg

newmini2.jpg

He is a strawberry roan pinto, Red roan & Strawberry roan look a lot alike, However, Red roan have BLACK manes & tails, Strawberry roans have sorrel/chestnut manes & tails. :bgrin

poor fellow. Glad you all have him now.he is marked up alot like her.she looks more roan then the pictures show. This mare has a roan parent.

he looks like my pinto mare who is register has a sorrel and white pinto.

delight_good.jpg

100_3154.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He is not a roan.

He is a red and white pinto. THe "roan" is sabino not a true roan.

Just as Ashley said, I was also going to say he is a sabino roan pinto (vs. "true roan"). I have a solid sabino roan gelding. I am happy you have this guy. Poor baby!!!

Red Roans do not have Black manes and tails.

BAY Roans have Black manes and tails.

He is a Red Pinto (Red being the base colour as in Chestnut/Sorrel)

Ashley is quite right in that Sabino is probably causing the white hairs- he could be Roan, but he does look Sabino (another Pinto pattern, BTW) and this does cause the "ticking" white hairs throughout the coat.

"Strawberry" Roan is not a colour, it is a description.

This site

http://www.equinecolor.com/forum/

is very useful for this sort of thing.

We have a gelding that we showed for several years and he was registered as a sorrel pinto. His coloring is very like your little guy. Good luck with him.

Angie

Latest posts

Back