What color do you think she is???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, what color are her legs, right now? That should narrow the decision between buckskin and smokey.

Bess Kelly said:
Well, what color are her legs, right now?  That should narrow the decision between buckskin and smokey.
429205[/snapback]

Not necessarily. Our smokey black that was tested for both bay and creme lookes to be a very dark buckskin half the time. And when clipped, she still has the black points on the legs, but her body turns almost a grulla color. So the cream gene was responsible for the black points on our mare.

Anyway, this horse is either black, smokey black or sooty buckskin. I would definately test this one for creme and the augoti (bay) gene as already mentioned. It is not that much more to test for both and they use the same hair sample for both at UC Davis.

wow wow wow that is a really cute horse!!!
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
well if she has dark points on her legs mybe she is a buckskin i think she is that would make a really cute show horse too. i hope u show her
yes.gif
yes.gif

cara

Palomino88 said:
Buckskins dont always have a dorsal strip.
I thought buckskins never had a dorsal, I though a dorsal made them a dun?

I would say she is buckskin.

429271[/snapback]

yes Dorsal Stripes do make them a dun but if they are on a bay base, have the cream gene and the dun gene, that makes them a buckskin/dun hence the name ''dunskin''

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
Gage said:
Palomino88 said:

429271[/snapback]

yes Dorsal Stripes do make them a dun but if they are on a bay base, have the cream gene and the dun gene, that makes them a buckskin/dun hence the name ''dunskin''

-Gage-

429337[/snapback]

If I may add in my two sense. Recently I have been doing reasearch on Horse color genetics, and if the horse is a buckskin colored dun then it is not called a dunskin, but a Buckskin Dun.

Sorry if it seems like I am nagging but one of my major major pet peeeves is people using incorrect termanology.

Dunskin is quite acceptable, as is Dunalino, it describes the colour. There are no hard and fast rules for these "in between" colours yet.

I think she must be Smoky Black- but she is a poser!!!

In reply to Miniatureprincess429..........

Dunskin Website

I think your mini is a smoky black, and very pretty!

Last edited by a moderator:
MiniaturePrincess429 said:
Gage said:
Palomino88 said:

429271[/snapback]

-Gage-

429337[/snapback]

If I may add in my two sense. Recently I have been doing reasearch on Horse color genetics, and if the horse is a buckskin colored dun then it is not called a dunskin, but a Buckskin Dun.

Sorry if it seems like I am nagging but one of my major major pet peeeves is people using incorrect termanology.

430794[/snapback]

like the others have said it is most often called Dunskin! It is a buckskin dun and people combind them together and call them dunskin! most people call them that, if I asked anyone about dunskin they would know what I am talking about!

-Gage-

Latest posts

Back