What can I do...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
I'm hoping to show my champagne colt, GT, at the upcoming AMHR show in August. I'd like to start working him out to help get him in shape, but don't want to do anything too overly strenous, being that he's still just a baby. What kind of workout can I do with him, for his stage of growth, to help him work off his hay belly and tone up some muscle a bit? Any suggestion on supplements too? For his feed, I give him about 1 1/2 pounds of Nutrena Safe Choice (14% pelleted feed) and 1/2 sheet of T&A twice a day. I was giving a bit more hay, but he's grown quite the haygut the past few weeks, so I've taken him down a bit. I want to work him out too, to help work it back off a little better, and tone up his muscleing a little better too, if I can figure how to that's safe for his age and stage of growing. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might can offer.
default_wub.png

Tanya can you post pictures?? Usually when you see one that young with that big of a belly its a lack of protein. Many think they are getting fat and cut them back which leads to an ever bigger belly. All young ones here are on a 16 percent pelleted feed including show horses under 2.

I'm a long way from being an expert on the subject but for what its worth; My orphan filly developed a belly last summer and altho she was already receiving a foal ration that was 16 % protein she looked like she'd swallowed a basket ball. I don't like to ration my babies grass/hay so I tried adding brewers yeast to her grain. It is supposed to help horses digest fiber better and I found that her belly went away pretty quickly on it. My thought was it couldn't hurt to try particularly since she was probably bacteria compromised without her mommas droppings to kick start her digestion. Many of us are so efficient at cleaning up after our horses that the babies even with moms are in the same position. Just a thought.

Hi Kay, I don't have any recent pics of him, but will try to clean him up this week and get some.
default_unsure.png
With a 16A% feed, what kind of hay do you feed yours? All our horses have always done well with a 14% along with T&A (Timothy & Alfalfa). GT was doing great too, right up till these last couple weeks, I've noticed his belly getting pudgy. I keep all my horses wormed regularly too, and thought he might just be getting a little wormy...but with regular worming I don't see how...and all the rest of horses all still look good and fit. So, don't think he's wormy...just might be getting too much hay??? Wouldn't the protein in the T&A supplement his feed protein as well?

Thank you too Reignmaker, he's been weaned since 4months old, and has been doing well, right up till these last couple weeks. He's 8 months old now...so I'm not sure if he would still be needing nutrients from his momma's poo, LOL. Would he still at 8months? Can you tell me more about the brewers yeast...how much would be needed per feeding? Would that help him digest better to retain the nutrients already in his feed, or would I need anything else to supplement him to help tone his musceling too?

Thanks so much for all your help.
default_wub.png
Will try to get some current pics of him this week too.

Hi Tanya

To know for sure you would have to test your hay. Young growing horses need a lot of feed! Its just hard to know without pics but I suspect hes actually thin but I could be wrong! Our young ones get 16 percent pellets plus alfalfa hay and sometimes beet pulp (show horses)

Ok, thanks Kay, I will work on cleaning him up tomorrow and try to get pics of him after...wish me luck on that though, LOL! Hope I got it in me to do all that, LOL! Gonna give it a shot, LOL! Hmmm... I forgot about beet pulp.

Alot of complete or pelleted feeds have beet pulp in them so that could save you a step

Dont worry about getting him all cleaned up. We all know what clean horses look like LOL

Cant wait to see him

I agree with Kay, often they hit a growth spurt and it looks like they are sickly with a huge tummy, but really they are not getting enough to meet their needs for protein.

Can't wait to see pics.

Reignmaker how much brewer's yeast are you giving your mini and how much does the mini weigh?

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ignore you. For the record I have given the brewers yeast to horses of different ages and in all cases it seemed to take the round belly away altho it does not seem to help a fat horse drop weight at all (too bad that lol) I fed the weanling filly approximately 1tsp. I used the scoop that was supplied but only gave her 1/4 to 1/3 of it which I estimate to be 1tsp. The adult horses are given 2x that, about 1/2 - 3/4 of a scoop depending on the size of the horse. I guess I would say its 1tsp per 100lbs but I have never given less than 1tsp even when Dyna was first starting on it. I based the amounts on the directions on the bucket and I think when I started Dyna would have weighed between 50 and 75lb. Probably closer to 50. If you are interested in learning about brewers yeast and what it is good for a google search will give you more info than you will want ;). I do know that since I started feeding it to my horses the only bellies I have are on brood mares and fatty's.
default_biggrin.png

BTW SWA, Dyna did exactly that. She looked great, was growing and seemed fit and then one day I looked at her and she was just...round. Not fat but she had this belly. I spent a lot of time searching the web for info before I tried the BY but I'm glad I did.

Latest posts

Back