What brand do you feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What commercial brand of feed to you feed?

• Purina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nutrena

• Progressive Nutrition

• Blue Seal

• Triple Crown

• Farnam's Platform

• LMF

• Manna Pro

• Buckeye

• Local Mix

• Other

• Mix own feed from straight grains, hay pellets and beet pulp, etc

• Don't fit any category - please explain

• Total voters
Since we moved from Idaho to Texas we have really struggled to find a good program with feed as we use to feed ONLY Timothy and Alfalfa Hay. Never needed to add anything else as the horses were all in great health and body condition.

Since that quality of hay is not readily available if even at all around these parts, we've gone through a few "trial & errors". I've been feeding Nutrena SafeChoice for about a month and a half to two months now and it's really done wonders to keep everyone is good condition with the level of hay down here.

So really we feed whatever works best for a specific area but once we have something pinned down we try not to ever change it. Why fix it if it's not broken
default_yes.gif
:

We had been feeding Purina Equine Adult or Junior (depending on the horse) and soft orchard grass hay. This time of year, the adult horses are getting only a tiny bit of the "grain" with them mostly getting hay. The junior horses are eating more Purina Junior than the adults get of the Adult.

However, we recently switched the adult horses to the local co-op's complete senior feed along with lots of orchard grass hay. The feed is engineered by Kentucky Equine Research. I just got to feeling since the adults are getting such a small amount of grain this time of year, they could benefit from the "richer" senior pellets.

We feed Nutrena and love it. Most everyone here gets Nutrena Safechoice and they've done great on it. They maintain a good weight, their coats are very healthy looking,etc. We have 1 on Nutrena Vitality 12, but we are slowly switching him over to the Safechoice. I've got 1 on Blue Seal Pacer and now that she's done getting a supplement, she'll be switched back to Safechoice(supplement didn't stick to the pellets, so she wouldn't eat it). And, I've got 1 on Purina Race Ready, but again, as soon as his bag is done, he'll be on Safechoice as well. We've had good luck with safechoice and have no plans to change anytime soon.

Jen

It was kind of interesting the note about not mixing brands, just because it is distributed by a company doesn't mean it is made by the company for example Platform mini/pony is distributed by Farnam, made by Purina and owned by Land o Lakes!

We feed Progressive Nutrition's Grass Diet Balancer and Envision for those who need a lot to maintain their weight. However, we also feed the majority of the horses on the Diet Balancer whole oats.

We feed the two big horses Purina Equine Sr.

I have fed Buckeyes GRO N WIN ration balancer for over 2 years and LOVE it but..................

Triple Crown 30 has a better vit/min analysis, its lower in fat and it has the following: (this feed is the same price as the Gro N Win.

TRIPLE CROWN HORSE FEEDS

EQUIMIX® TECHNOLOGY

Equimix® is a unique blend of supplements that is found only in Triple Crown® feeds. Equimix® inclusion in the feed eliminates the need for much of the additional supplementation that many horse owners use to enhance performance or condition of their horses. The supplements we incorporate are not only cutting-edge products, but also some products that are proven by years of research and feeding experience.

ORGANIC MINERALS:

Organic minerals (also called proteinate or chelated minerals) are mineral salts chemically bonded to a protein/amino acid complex. Equimix utilizes 6 different organic minerals; Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Manganese, and Copper. Normal minerals are usually added into feeds or supplements in the form of oxides or sulfates. Their form limits the digestibility of both these mineral salt forms, oxides more than sulfates. In the organic form, the minerals are recognized as an organic substance by the digestive system and digestion is improved by as much as 50%. In fact, by combining the mineral to the right protein complex, you can target specific body tissues that will benefit the most by the mineral addition. Our Bioplex® minerals are actually bonded to 2 or more amino acids, improving absorption over single amino acid or saccharine bonds.

Research has proven that organic minerals are associated with improved stress and heat resistance, reproductive performance, and energy utilization during exercise. Organic copper and zinc, specifically, have been shown to reduce structural disorders in growing horses and improve hair and hoof quality.

Feed companies who include organic minerals do not provide 100% of the mineral source in the organic form, primarily because of cost. Many may use as little as 5% or 10%. Triple Crown Nutrition utilizes 40% or more of the added mineral as organic.

KELP MEAL:

Kelp meal is a source of natural organic minerals, such as boron, chromium and vandium. Research has indicated that these micro trace minerals are required by the horse in extremely small amounts to maintain structural soundness and to improve protein and energy utilization.

LIVE YEAST CULTURES:

All Triple Crown feeds include live strains of Yea-Sacc® 1026, an equine specific yeast culture proprietary to Alltech. Research supports the fact that yeast is very beneficial to improve fiber digestion and increase protein utilization while helping to stabilize cecal and colon pH. Added advantages are increased digestibility and retention of calcium and phosphorus. For breeding operations, yeast cultures favorably alters the nutrient composition of milk, improves the efficiency of mare diets in converting feed to foal tissues, and maintains structural integrity in pregnant and lactating mares. For foals, it strengthens growing bones and accelerates weight gain while maintaining linear growth. Yeast cultures are also the base of many of the other digestive improvements included as part of the total Equimix package.

DIGESTIVE BACTERIA:

The fiber, primarily pasture and hay, that your horse eats is converted into energy by a fermentation process in the hindgut (large intestine and cecum). The microbes that are responsible for the fermentation process convert the fiber into volatile fatty acids. Changes in internal body temperatures and pH levels caused by stress, heat, and diet changes constantly challenge the microbial population in the hindgut. An unhealthy microbial population is a common cause of digestive upsets such as loose stools, hay bellies, poor weight maintenance and colic. Supplemental digestive bacteria have been specifically selected to improve digestion in the hindgut to help prevent digestive upsets. Constantly fed, probiotics have proven to be much more effective than products that you dose only during periods of stress.

DIGESTIVE ENZYMES:

The grain portion of a horse's diet is important to provide protein, calories, vitamins and minerals that the horse cannot get on pasture and hay alone. The amount of grain needed depends on many factors such as the horse's individual metabolism, level of activity, age, and type of forage available. Sometimes the volume of grains required for performance or body condition can overwhelm the small intestine. If undigested grain hits the hindgut, it can drastically increase the potential of colic or laminitis (founder). Research indicates that the addition of specific enzymes can increase the digestibility of oat and barley starch in the diet. The combination of enzyme supplementation and feeding management can reduce the chance of digestive upsets. For feeding management, do not feed more than 0.5% of body weight in feed per feeding and allow a minimum of 4 hours between feedings.

YUCCA EXTRACT:

One of the most common feeding errors is over feeding protein. A small amount of protein is converted to energy, but much of the excess protein produces high levels of ammonia in the large intestine. Ammonia absorbed into the blood inhibits performance due to increased joint unsoundness, abnormal electrolyte balance, decreased immune response, and poor energy metabolism. The yucca extract binds with the ammonia and passes it out through the feces not allowing absorption into the bloodstream and subsequent release through the urine. A beneficial side effect of reducing urine output of ammonia is air quality. This reduces irritation to the horse's respiratory tract and reduces complications with air passage disorders. Also, elimination of excess ammonia through the urine increases urine output requiring more water consumption.

Bio-Mos®:

Horses are constantly exposed to pathogenic bacteria such as E. Coli and Salmonella. When they are exposed to a high enough dose of these bacteria and/or the immune system is not functioning adequately, they become infected. Bi-Mos® is a proprietary mannan-oligossacharide (MOS) which is a yeast derivative. There are over 200 feeding trials indicating that Bio-Mos® has benefits associated with these types of challenges. Bio-Mos® has also been shown to aid in increasing the hors's immune system activity, thereby making him less susceptible to other forms of disease as well. In Europe, where traditional antibiotics have been essentially banned from livestock feed, Bio-Mos® is being used to support herd health and growth levels similar or superior to antibiotics. Bio-Mos® provides a particular advantage to young horses, geriatric horses, or horses under stress. A recent study at the University of Florida has shown that addition of Bio-Mos® in the broodmare diet has increased Immunoglobulin levels in colostrums fed to foals by 30% to 50%

MTB-100â„¢:

Grain traveling through normal channels of commerce is often tested for the presence of mycotoxins so people, livestock and horses remain safe. However, University research has demonstrated that mycotoxins are also found in about 80% of the hay that are capable of triggering a colic epidemic or simply robbing your horse of condition and performance. It is the presence of low mycotoxin levels in your horse's diet that can be so damaging because you probably don't know they are there. Many times we do not realize that the slight decline in our horse's appearance, condition and/or performance is a result of low levels of mycotoxin ingestion. A team of University and industry experts at Alltech have developed MTB-100â„¢, which is now available to be added to livestock and equine diets. Research on MTB-100â„¢ has shown that it can bind with many mycotoxins commonly found in equine diets. The result is to help allow your horse to remain safe and healthy and able to look and perform at optimal levels.

With the addition of Equimix®, it provides an extra layer of nutrition and insurance not found in any other horse feed. If your not providing your horses with these cutting edge products, you're not really giving them the best chance to perform to the top of their ability.

So as soon as my barn is back to acting normally (been dealing with stomach problems for over 2 months) I will be switching.

We feed a mix that the feed mill mixes for us in 1500 - 2000 pound batches. So we don't have to worry about finding or having enough of a certain grain. My uncle's TWH is on Nutrena LiteBalance because she is such an easy keeper. Before we put her on the LiteBalance she used to think that she was "starving" ALL THE TIME. This new feed keeps her satisfied for alot longer than the other stuff.

Edited to say: My uncle's TWH used to weigh over 1500 lbs and she only stands 15.1 hh. She now weighs about 1100 lbs because of the LiteBalance feed. She's much healthier now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed several flavors of Triple Crown - depending on the horse - but also feed BOSS, Beet Pulp, Alfalfa cubes (sometimes) and a supplement for the "stiffer" horses. So - I consider this to be a mix.

JJay

I use Purina Born to Win and Mare and Maintenance as supplements so that everyone gets their vitamins. I feed the Mare and Maintenance especially to my older guy who can gain weight by just looking at food. Besides the daily hay ration and some free time on pasture, I have switched to adding beet pulp (about a cup soaked) in the mornings. My (2 yr old) filly was on the lean side and since I soak it in hot water it makes ME feel better to see them get something warm on these cold winter mornings. It also gives me something in which to hide any additives (pro-biotics, medicine, etc.) in place of the oats I used to use.

It was kind of interesting the note about not mixing brands, just because it is distributed by a company doesn't mean it is made by the company for example Platform mini/pony is distributed by Farnam, made by Purina and owned by Land o Lakes!
Well, one issue about not mixing brands is that is can throw off the vitamin/mineral balance. Most companies design their feeds to compliment one another if someone chooses to mix them. But, when you mix between two different companies you may end up with too much of one and not enough of another.

All of my horses get quality alfalfa orchard mix hay (however my last delivery is pretty much straight alfalfa).

For grain they get Nutrena Safechoice. Pretty much everyone but the show horses get that. If there is one that need some extra weight I add the Nutrena Empower. I really love the Empower, I also add the Empower for my Percheron mare that is on more of a EPSM diet. My show horses get Purnia Ultium during show season. I tried the Nutrena XTN for the show horses when I switched my other horses from Strategy to Safechoice, but I just didn't like how they looked. The XTN was Nutrena's feed comparable to Ultium (so I was told), they just lacked a shine, I just didn't like the results personally. With the Ultium, I don't need to add any coat supplements or beet pulp, they all look great.

I have like 12 categories and I still managed to miss one. :lol:

I've heard of TizWhiz, but can't get it here.

I Like TizWhiz in broodmare because of

CRUDE PROTEIN .......MIN. 8.00 %

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back