Westminster Behind the Scenes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorrie & Frank

Reaction score
What a great show it was! We had a press conference with Uno right after they left the ring and I got to meet him and play with him. He is the most adorable little dog I've ever met. Even off camera in the show he was playing and the crowd would make noice in delight of his every move. I got to meet Vicki and her Kennel mates - they are loveable and huggable. For our anatolian owners the Anatolian's were so good looking and muscled! THey had that whole anatolian attitude - behind the scenes and off camera they were spralled out sometimes with their handers lying on them or they would lie on their handlers - The off camera antics of dogs and people even the group finals were quite a show. They laid down with the dogs - some of them - esp the dogs in the toy group - the min pin and - oh shoot I forget the name of the little terrier that looks like a min pin but is dark brown - they rolled and played with each other - the handlers had balls or favorite toys for them to play with - quite the show. Plus they could re-groom before going forward for judging.

The finals judge was also at the press conference and he was so excited about Uno - he said he focuses on the dogs in the ring so much that he tunes out the audience - HE did not know the dog's name until the conference even though the crowd had been chanting UNO - It was almost deafening. Uno played with the fuzzy covers on the microphones and played with the judge. It was so much fun.

The benched show meant that the dogs had to stay at their assigned kennel benches except for going to the grooming station or for a bathroom break. The crowd was shoulder to shoulder winding through the benches to see the dogs. I interviewed dozens of owners and handers from first timers to the seasoned vets and they all love it even with all of its chaos. The hairspray in the grooming area was probably at bio hazard levels espcially before the toy classes. I'll post pics if anyone is interested. My back scene shots aren't that good but still some are fun. Our Champion of CHampions Invitaitonal Halter show we are putting together is get a big bump forward from the meeting I had with producers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like sooo much fun!!! LOL I guess only a dog show person would understand!
default_wacko.png
Kinda like being at a crazy busy horse show and saying how great it was!!!
default_biggrin.png

I have been in buildings where hair spray is at bio hazard level.....NOT fun!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
When you walk in to a blue haze from grooming products!! :DOH!

I would love to go to Westminster some day....maybe not showing...I don't think I'd enjoy cabbing it with the dogs and stuff, not to mention the expense, but I'd love to just take in the atmosphere....

~kathryn

WOW!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time there!! I always wanted to someday make it to Westminster to watch in person, but never did. You are LUCKY!!
default_aktion033.gif

It's well worth the trip and the Pennsylvania Hotel is across the street and caters to the dogs. I had to learn a whole new lingo - they are handlers not exhibitors, a bitch not a dam and a dog or stud not a stallion or sire - and they award the "Best of Opposite Sex" - I took a picture of that ring sign and sent to my husband at the office for Valentines Day. There were sanitary stations not paddocks. And no hoof polish! THat alone could me into dogs! One of the hounds was out of his kennel and found a little girl he liked, He put his paws on her shoulders and wet down her entire face with one lick! She giggled and giggled and he kept licking her until his handler turned back around to see what he was doing. One of the handlers showing the Commador (if that's how it is spelled) the big white dogs with the rastie dread locks - the handler wears a formal kilt and keeps his baiting treats in the Scottish bag - the ABC camera crew was there when I was and he was showing them that the huge dog is so loveable while the camera was rolling - he patted his chest and the dog jumped up to stand there and give him a hug - and caught the front of the kilt on the way up! I think they were a very non-traditional Sponge Bob Square pants boxers! Had to do a reshoot. I think he must have had that experience before without the Sponge Bobs!

We got to interview Patricia Trotter a very highly respected judge who has been in and about Westminister for some twenty years. She told us a story of a time when she was showing one of her Norwegian Elk Hounds and promised a friend of hers to keep an eye on several other dogs showing at the same time that were out of his Westminster champion to see how well they maintained focused - apparently a tested conformational point in showing Elk Hounds. A mouse fell out of the rafters of (they don't have mice in NY but she called it a mouse) right into the middle of the ring. Of course it looked like it killed the mouse so the Steward went forward with a scoop an broom to clean it up. When he touched it revived and began running around the ring. None of the dogs moved even an eyelash! The breeder was pleased but told her that heaven help them if a Moose shold fall into the ring - that's what those dogs arre bred to chase out for hunters. So the joke was going around show floor when a class went smoothly that they had no falling moose.

It was really cool to be there!

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'll post pics if anyone is interested"

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I'd love to see the fun stuff!!

Leya

"Sponge Bob Square pants boxers"
default_biggrin.png

Too funny! My hubby has some of those too! My MOM bought them for him LOL

YES PLEASE! DO post lots of photos!!

Watching the show, I was quite taken by the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.

Here's where the photos are - I have tons more and I can't find one of my camera chips with some of the grooming pictures. It was so crowded and lighting was not good. We were not allowed to use flash so some of these are very fuzzy. Westminster Pics

Latest posts

Back