Dog update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to post about the latest happenings with the dogs!!

About a month ago, I was at a dog show in Kalamazoo, MI. It was a 4 day show, and even though I didn't end up staying for the 4th day, I had great results!! I was really hoping I could finish Mate-r's American (AKC) Championship before the end of the year since he needed only 2 single points to finish.

The first day, Mate-r was Winners Dog and Best of Winners (which basically means he was the best of all the 'class' entries, so all the dogs that hadn't already finished their Championship). That was a 3 point win, so he finished easily!! Moxie showed her heart out and picked up a point toward her Grand Championship title winning Select. Twizzler was also there, but she had just finished blowing all of her coat.

The second day, I had to find someone to help me show, as I had moved Mate-r up to a Special (finished Champion) so I needed someone to show Moxie for me (and my 'help' decided they just couldn't make it to help….). Twizzler was Reserve Female, and the judge told me that she would LOVE to see her when she is in coat!! I was super happy with that! Mate-r decided he didn't want to play show dog (though he did get looked at for the Select win), and Moxie, with someone we'd just met at the show, picked up another Select and a 4 point win towards her Grand CH (that means there were a lot more dogs entered that day that she beat).

The third day, a friend showed Mate-r for me. He was looked at hard for Best of Breed, but he was just not as happy with someone else showing him. He picked up a 3 point Select win, which I was very happy with. But Moxie…..she was Best of Opposite Sex (for 5 points!!!!!!)!!!!! Could have knocked me over with a leaf when the judge picked us!!! I just could not believe it…..there were 6 female specials entered, lots of 'big names' behind them (and on the end of the leashes), so I really didn't expect too much. Moxie is 8 1/2 years old….most dogs at that age haven't seen the inside of a show ring for years….but most importantly she is my first show dog. The one who got me into all of this…..she is now at 21 of 25 points, and has only been to 3 weekends of shows to get that far!! She just LOVES playing show dog!!!!!! I wish they all loved it as much as she does….

Mate-r's 1/2 brother (same sire) won Best of Breed all 3 days. At the time, he was ranked #4 Cardigan in the US, so I really did not expect to beat him….but the results I did have I was very happy with!

Can BISS GCH CH Am CH Esrohollow Radsprings Tuhmater Can HT

MaterUSCH.jpg

Can AOM CH Am CH Finnshavn Bubble Gum Moxie Can/Am RA, Can HS, Am HT

MoxieBOS.jpg

This 'little' one arrived on November 3rd (verrryyyy early in the morning). She weighed in at over a pound when she was born (that is very big for this breed). After a month of not having a name, she is now Lulu!

IMG_8633.JPG

Oh, and I forgot that Mate-r's litter sister also finished her American Championship just this past weekend!! That litter turned 3 years old just yesterday! Very proud of all of those pups!!

~kathryn

Awesome! Don't you just love those out of the blue big wins? Nice the judge can see past blowing coat.

A friend co-owns a boy out of my first Japanese Chin litter, and finished him in six shows. I've pretty much retired from showing, but I have his sister... who is even nicer, of course.

Thanks Watcheye! I know everyone keeps telling me to keep posting….I always wonder if people get sick of me posting!!

romewhip, yes, those wins are the best!!! I've had a few of those recently….feels pretty darn good! Then of course, you show up to another show and don't even get the time of day! LOL Gotta love dog shows!!!
default_closedeyes.gif

~kathryn

me neither! I love learning new things. Your posts are so educational.

Our daughter joined a friend for a while - showing dogs mostly at UKC shows. She started showing dogs for others - and managed to learn enough and then got good dogs (I assume??) - finished three of them for whatever titles Yorkies can get. I think our daughters' grins were bigger than her whole body at the time. She showed the Yorkies, Springer Spaniels, White Shepherds and Finnish Spitz's. I've become enarmored with "Finkies'" since, but would prefer to take one on that needs to be rehomed than try to pay what they command right now for purchase... Since 2005, I've always watched the "Finke's in their non-sporting classes. Love that some always seem to make it the National Dog Show. And I think I'm getting a LOT OF TERMS incorrect! Sorry. I need to go look them all up. It's been along time since I've even dabbled in "that world".

The relationship suffered and things fell apart between my friends' daughter and mine as well as between us. Our daughter "made the mistake" of winning over hers in some classes... Ah well... They showed the Finke's and the other type of Corgi. I think Madira showed for 2 1/2 or maybe 3 whole seasons. I told her she needed to see who else she could work with if she was truly interested at the time.
default_sad.png
Instead, right now, she says she's moved on w/o animals...

I LOVE MOXIE! Beautiful dog (and I'm not a huge fan of Corgi's for reasons I can't fathom
default_smile.png
) Congrats on all the accomplishments you and she have achieved. Like LuLu too.

Latest posts

Back