Goodbye my little fellow, my little friend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Yesterday for the first time ever I had to have a dog put down. Louie was my little fellow, my little friend. Louie was a Japanese Chin that we adopted in 2007. He was estimated to have been born in Feb 2003 so that would have made him 11 years old plus. He was the sweetest little guy. The rescue I got him from said he was found on the hospital parking lot, taken to a groomer who took him to a poodle rescue. Louie loved to go riding in the car. He loved to play with the other dogs. He loved to sit in your lap and just be stroked. His hair was as soft as feathers. His black was blacker than black and his white was whiter than snow. When we sang Louie, Louie, Louie , Loueeeeee to him he knew he was da man. He would only eat when we came home from being away at work. He would get so excited he would toss his food out of the bowl....we called it batter, batter, batter swing. He loved games. We could yell rodeo puppy and he would buck and run and just go wild. His favorite toy sang a cute little diddy and he would grab it and make it sing the minute you walked in the door. And if he ever snuck out the door he was gone. Wheeeeeeeeeee....running down the road like the gingerbread man. The only way to catch him was to crank a vehicle and honk the horn. He would come running so he could "go riding." That was probably how he ended up as a rescue. His teeth were really bad. He had several pulled while he was in rescue and several more pulled over the years. Poor little guy could not even keep his tongue in his mouth but that and his little monkey face made him all the sweeter looking. He has always gone a mile a minute. Friday morning he was vomiting foam. I took him to the vet and he showed me on the x-rays where his heart was so enlarged that it took up his whole chest cavity, congenital heart failure. He always had an arched spine and the x-ray showed where he had three discs that were bone on bone. Took some medicine home but the next morning he was struggling to breathe, not eating or drinking, and was trying to vomit but it was bloody. I did the humane thing. He was put to sleep in my arms. I cried like a baby, brought him home, and dug a grave. My heart is broken. Louie had all sorts of nicknames, among them Luigi and Oodybob. Once a show judge happened to see him and said that at one time he had to have been show quality. He was just our little Louie. Don't know what his life was like before he came into ours, but he sure put a lot of smiles in ours. We are really missing our little fellow, our little friend.

I hate that you are going through this. Its so hard. Little Louie knew how much you loved him. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and heartfelt tribute.

Aww, he sounds like he had blessed your life in his time with you. What wonderful memories you have of him. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Awwww Vickie... You sure made me cry this morning. What a beautiful tribute. He was an awesome dog and he was lucky to have you as his mom.

hugs.

Some sure take a piece of you when they go, bless you for being in tune to his needs and doing what was right when his time came.

What a character, I feel like I knew him just by reading your post. I love when folks sing songs to their dogs. Every one of my dogs has a special song or a special extra call name that is just for them.

Louie Louie Louie Loueeeeeeee, you were the man and your mommy loved you very much.

I am so sorry for your loss.It is so difficult to lose a piece of your heart.I will be facing that soon since my older Corgi will be 14 in august and has had several health issues in the past year.Eye so bad that I was sure I would bring her home from the vet in a box.Could barely walk and meds(tramadol caused her to be a zombie)She rallied and we're good now for a while.I'm so sorry for your loss Bonnie Fogg told me that grieving is the price we pay for love.Just wish your beloved buddy could have brightened your days for a longer time.

I am so sorry. It is so painful to loose a beloved friend and your words have moved me to tears. What a lucky little dog to find someone to love him and all his quirks so completely.

Thanks everyone. I am trying to figure out what to do and not do for Louie's playmate, our not so little Shih Tzu Pattycake. She is so co-dependent. She knows he is not here and she is not eating. We have another little indoor dog as well, Cindymouse the Chihuahua. Patty has always split her time between Louie and Cindy. Out first thing in the morning with Louie. Out again later when Cindy decides to get up. Watch Louie eat. She usually would eat after Louie went back to sleep. Cindy's feed was always kept separate because she would eat hers and everybody else's. Patty would sleep with either Louie or Cindy. She would play with both. But she never does anything on her own. Always has to have a buddy. Right now I am not bringing up Louie's name to her because I am afraid it would add to her confusion or have her expecting him at any moment. What is the best approach? Patty has always been a follower, never a leader. She hides under the furniture when anyone comes over. I think I will start out this morning by offering to share some scrambled egg with her and then get the leashes and harnesses out and take the girls for a walk. They also eat in the evenings, Patty would usually eat while I am cooking and both the other playmates were finished eating. Right now I am at a loss as to how to treat Patty. When I talk to her and Cindy in the usual babytalk phrases she perks up and goes to jumping around. Then she goes back to looking lost and confused.

Thanks again guys.

I know this will sound hokey to some but I advise you to talk to her (and Cindy actually) Sit with them and tell them what happened, explain that he was sick and now he has died. No need to word it in a special way just use whatever words come to you and no reason not to share your emotions with them too, they need to know he hasn't just been taken away that he was loved but his time was over. I did this with my very confused bullmastiff when I lost his mother and it seemed to help him alot (and helped me too, to share it with him - who I knew loved her even more completely than I ever could) Sharing your heartbreak with each other can ease the pain a little for both of you and even tho they may not understand your words exactly, it is my belief they do understand the thoughts behind them.

What a lovely tribute for your special friend. Feeling so sad for you. God bless.

PS: I agree with Reignmaker....Tell your other dog what happened. Our pets DO understand because they often pick up pictures from our mind of what we are saying verbally. You may have to do it more than once.

I also agree with Reinmaker.Talk to your pets and explain that he was very sick and is gone now and not coming back and that he is in no more pain.I firmly believe that our animals understand more than we give them credit for.Several years ago my mare gave birth to a beautiful little dwarf filly about the size of my barn cat.It was alive but her little legs were like Gumbys legs.She would never have been able to stand.I picked her up and she nuzzled me as I cried and told her she was beautiful.I talked to her mom and told mom the baby was sick and we had to let her go.I cried as the vet gave her the shot,then put her in a bucket on the seat next to me in the truck.Cried all the way home from the foaling facility.Turned mom out in the pasture and she never looked back or grieved at all.I felt like she understood that something was not right with the baby.She had foals before and was an excellent mom..Baby was buried in our little animal cemetery with far too many other foals and dams.I think animals sense more than we think they do.Hope your little guys will be ok in time.

Vickie I am so very sorry. Remember the good times and keep his sweet little monkey face in your heart forever. It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives.

I agree talk to Cindymouse and Pattycake they need to hear you tell them what's going on.

InMem.JPG

Well, I have tried telling the girls the truth. Cindy could not care less. We have always joked that with her "it is all about the C." She has not missed a meal. She wriggled out of her harness and did not go for the walk, which was fine with her. Cindy also came from a rescue and basically she has an eating disorder where she woofs down her food. She is like a shrew, like a vacuum cleaner zapping up her food. My mother-in-law used to joke that if we made a video of her eating it would win on America's Funniest Home Videos. We cured her of that by closing off the room she eats in so that she can eat alone not feeling threatened that other animals are going to leave her without food. Patty was supposed to have been a Chinese Imperial, which is basically the toy version of the Shih Tzu, which would weight 6 to 8 pounds when full grown. She turned out to be a 22 pound Shih Tzu. So I know she always found the time to eat, but it seems like she has to have Louie's blessing before she eats. I am going to have to figure out how to feed her without Cindy stealing the food. Cindy is not one of the little skinny Chihuahuas, she is shaped liked a football with a head. Patty did eat a few bites of egg, but that was all. I am going to try to tell her tomorrow again that Louie is gone. She is like a pitiful little widow right now that cannot see a future without her love. I really am worried about her.

Louie sounds like he had a very big personality and surely this must be a devastating loss. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss, but it sounds like life was all the sweeter for both of you (and your family) when you found each other. Treasure knowing he had a great life with you, better than many.

Latest posts

Back