Westerns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Western is quintessentially American.

I couldn't find Conagher in my stash of L'Amour books but reread Hondo recently. John Wayne said it was his favorite western. You will meet "Dog" in it. (I don't think the movie used anything but the title, rather like the James Bond movies using Fleming's titles.) It is one of L'Amour's early books. My 1956 pb copy is held together by a rubber band; need to find a better copy!

I don't think I've read too many westerns, other then Iris Johansen's Delany series. I do enjoy western movies though if the actors are right. I used to have several books by the author you mentioned, but I didn't see myself reading them anytime in the future, so I gave them away to make more room for books I knew I would read.

I love Louis L'Amour books, the Sackett series is my all time favorite. I also loved the movies based on them that starred Tom Selleck, that's how I got interested in horses. Before that I read every Zane Grey that I could find. You might find the book you want from The Grit magazine. They have a page where they sell L'Amour books.

Have you checked out Stephen King's "Gun Slinger/ Dark Tower" series? Those read like a "modern" western and really involve you with the characters! The series is fairly long and deeply enjoyable
default_yes.gif

I love Louis L'Amour books, the Sackett series is my all time favorite. I also loved the movies based on them that starred Tom Selleck, that's how I got interested in horses. Before that I read every Zane Grey that I could find. You might find the book you want from The Grit magazine. They have a page where they sell L'Amour books.
I think some of the Zane Grey books are hard to wade through, though. He can get extremely philosophical, and his scenery descriptions are over the top sometimes. His work appeals to so many people on different levels--a sign of a great writer.

Some of the turn-of-the-century western writers are great. William MacLeod Raine and Peter Kyne are two I like. My favorite Raine book is Ironheart--a WW I soldier became addicted to heroin when injured in battle and he fights to overcome it.

There is a modern western writer with a horse trader as the main character. Can't think of the author right now, but they are entertaining.

I read High Lonesome just last night - I am a huge Louis L'amour fan. You know, for all the reading and re-reading I do, I'm not sure I've ever read Hondo ... I'm pretty sure it's on my Grandad's bookshelf, I'll have to borrow it. I think I'm also due for a Sackett series re-read ...

Marsha Cassada - I'd love to know the name of the author/books about the horse trader when you think of it.

Oh man, maybe I should keep this to myself but when I was given the books by L'Amour, they were in a stack of romances. I thought they were western romances written by a woman named "Low-is".
default_doh.gif
Guess I should have paid more attention...

Marsha-Cassada, I would love to read those books to when you remember who the author is.

I LOVE westerns!!! Louis L'Amour was always one of my favorites. Has anyone here read "Lonesome Dove"? I read it a long time ago, way before it was a mini-series/movie. Fabulous book!

I have the 4 books in the Lonesome Dove series. They are my all time favorites. Just great reading.

Lonesome Dove was on tv last night. I had already missed the beginning part, so didn't watch it. But when I saw it on the guide, I thought about this thread.
default_smile.png

Marsha-Cassada, I would love to read those books to when you remember who the author is.
Finally made it into town today and went by the library to check who the author is. Wouldn't you know--the library was closed so the librarians could go to a workshop!!

I wish there was something like movie databases where one could look up books. I've tried all the horse trading cue words on Amazon and other book sites and nothing turns up this author. He wrote several, and the main characters are in all the books. I'll just have to check when I get back into town.

Got to the library today and found out the author of the horse trader pair. It is Robert B Parker. The two books that have the traders for the characters are Appaloosa and Resolution. I think there's a 3rd book, but our library didn't have it.

I was looking at his list of titles and my goodness! he's written a lot of books. I did not choose another but got one by Elmer Kelton that looked good.

I've read those books! Robert Parker is one of my favorite authors. I loved his Spencer detective novels.

Got to the library today and found out the author of the horse trader pair. It is Robert B Parker. The two books that have the traders for the characters are Appaloosa and Resolution. I think there's a 3rd book, but our library didn't have it.

I was looking at his list of titles and my goodness! he's written a lot of books. I did not choose another but got one by Elmer Kelton that looked good.
Looks like there is 4 now and I've never read these so will have to check them out!

http://www.robertbparker.net/

Latest posts

Back