AMHA Carriage Class Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suprisingly, It is bits and pieces from Quarter Horses, Paints, Pintos and Buckskin. It kinda gives a picture, but could be more specific with a little work. Thought I would get more response from it, but nothing from Al or Gary, I was surprised. I am 100% into the Western style driving coming from the QH show world. So for me to drive my minis this way is natural for me. I stepped into the AMHR and AMHA show ring since day one wearing western show outfits and my hat, a lot of people have laughed or chuckled behind my back, but I do not care. That is what I am and I like it a lot. Both of my horses move more naturally to perform in this class and that is what I do. My over gelding was considered a REJECT in the mini world of driving. I loved the way he moved (level with his poll and huge flat kneed strides) and practiced/drove him like a QH. Then took him to Pinto World last year and won both the Amateur and Open Driving classes. Saturday, I just went to an A show and drove my under gelding like a QH and won all 4 of my driving classes. So the A judges are accepting this style over the 'Country Pleasure' tucked, high headed look. People on the rail were standing up and watching me, complementing me how nice my horse looked. I was very happy to see the A people noticed. I think it is time for this type of class to be introduced into AMHA, there are more minis out there that can naturally enter into this class and have a chance to win in Driving, instead of an un-natural way they cannot poise because of their build. Please understand, I am not against any way of driving, but horses are bred/ built for certain styles of driving and we do not have the classes yet to fulfill those styles, but I feel they are making a great strides to get there.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Way to go on your wins!!

Lucy

I just realized too, instead of it being called a ROAD gate, it should be called an EXTENDED gate, will go up in my previous post and put it in there.

Hi Angela!

I haven't talked woth you since the 2007 AMHA World show. I'm sorry that you got a taste of our politics in the way you did there!

I have been trying to figure out how to reply to your suggestions and I don't mean to be brief. The "background" or "foundation" of our classes is from the show horse breeds. While I too am a "quarter horse" guy. I see the reason to continue with a more "english" or "show horse" way of describing this class.

This is a continuation of our existing rules and until we have a LOT more involvement, we as a committee, think it is best to proceed this way. Also this started a year before AMHR and we have tried very carefully to avoid problems (yea, like that made any difference, lol ).

I for one would love to see AMHA large enough to promote more classes that brought more crossover from the other breeds. But the reality is there are probably on a couple hundred horses showing in driving. This division should DOUBLE that number and these horses are the type that enter 5 to 10 classes each at a show. Halter horses average 1.6..........Single Pleasure horses 3 or 4...........Contry horses (currently the "all around" horse) are 5 to 10 and these horses are even easier going than Country horses. Exactly what we need for "increasing involvement" in our industry. As pointed out here many times, and I quote, "I used to show my horse like that in AMHA, now I have gone to AMHR"!!!!!!

Respectfully

Gary Barnes

Back