Western Country Pleasure Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JMS, you have some nice horses
default_yes.gif

Heh... I seen that. There is one breeder who shows in Pleasure as it sounds better, and there are less in the class so they usually place. Actually I know most of the off type "Pleasure" horses who were out there. There are folks who believe that is what the pleasure horse should be... To each their own.

I was REALLY pleased to see that most of the CPD were not too bad with off type this year! I was really pleased to see that.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Thanks Desiree, your Dove looks awesome and congrats to your wins.

I think the CPD is starting to get on the right path, or should I say evolved and heading towards the right direction. I still think there were some horses that placed still belong in Pleasure but not too many of those won the class.

The western I just wish I know what direction they are taking, are we now letting the low end country horses win and the pleasure class needs to be fixed, the right horses win but I want to see actual pleasure horses in that class not just horses that have no place to go so they choose the class with the lowest entries.

Here is what I propose AMHR needs to do. Instead of rewriting the dang rule book, create a DVD with some of our best judges and show us exhibitors what they are looking for in this divison and that. Honestly this years Nationals the horses were all over the place, we need some visual aid. I know AMHA did this, not sure how successful it turned out. But I for sure would buy it if AMHR did something like this.
I took the clinic from Big Named Trainer, who showed us the video that AMHA produced. It was explained, in no uncertain terms, just exactly what each style of driving horse should be. Then watching BNT at the Regionals, he completely went against what he taught at the clinic and had Single Pleasure horses showing in Country Pleasure and winning. When confronted about this issue, he then changed the explaination that he originally gave us, now stating that any horse that trotted below level was a Country Pleasure horse. This really just goes to show that it is the judges' fault as to who is getting used in the classes. BNT is going to use which ever horse he knows is going to win! It takes a judge who is not afraid to not use BNT, but to use the horses that fit the description of the class. This is going to step on toes, but I don't care. Make the rules, tell us what you want to see, then stick to it so we are all on the same playing field.

It takes a judge who is not afraid to not use BNT, but to use the horses that fit the description of the class. This is going to step on toes, but I don't care. Make the rules, tell us what you want to see, then stick to it so we are all on the same playing field.

^^^^^THIS!!!

I went BY THE RULES. My horse was level with little to no arch in the crest, per the rules. Level strides with little flexion. Two distinct trots. Bright relaxed manner. No fussing, had great rail position even with 33 in the class. Super nice little horse.

He got the gate.

Winner was so flexed his neck was bowed.

I watched - and was in - some of the western cp classes, and saw a pretty wide range of horses placing at the top. We placed sort of mid field in a couple of the over classes with what I consider a true western cp horse. He is young and had some bobbles, I don't have a problem with our placings but would sure like to see some consistency in what they pin.

Jan

i just came across all of your responses and I am going to have to say that I drove in four WCP classes at the nationals, having placed 3rd in one WCP class, I was happy but it seemed that the hroses that were being chosen were as some of you had said, looked like country horses. Why are the judges picking country horses in a WCP class? It just ruins everyone elses drive if people drive horses in that class that are really country. The head and kneck should be level at the withers and poll and like the rules say shouldnt exceed higher than 3 inches than the withers. I feel our organization needs to hammer the "true" guidelines for this class into our judges. I dont mean to sound picky or frustrated, but what do you think a "Western country pleasure " driving horse should look like?

i just came across all of your responses and I am going to have to say that I drove in four WCP classes at the nationals, having placed 3rd in one WCP class, I was happy but it seemed that the hroses that were being chosen were as some of you had said, looked like country horses. Why are the judges picking country horses in a WCP class? It just ruins everyone elses drive if people drive horses in that class that are really country. The head and kneck should be level at the withers and poll and like the rules say shouldnt exceed higher than 3 inches than the withers. I feel our organization needs to hammer the "true" guidelines for this class into our judges. I dont mean to sound picky or frustrated, but what do you think a "Western country pleasure " driving horse should look like?

Back