Went and looked at mini's Character ????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinm

Reaction score
How a foal is now is it an indication on how he or she will be after?I went yesterday and looked at 2 farms 1 had a year old fille 3 year old mare 8 year old mare and a stallion can't remember the age.I fell in love with the 1 year old Dappling but she also made a big impression on me .She followed me every where loves attention and would not stop licking my leg and also following my oldest and smelling her toes..lol the stallion I just didn't care for him.The 8 year old was eating and really didn't even give you a second look )beautiful though my husband liked her)but she didn't even bother with us ?The 3 year old mare was super friendly to and pretty but like said the other stole my heart!.

Then we headed to the other farm she had 3 ,3 month old 1 fille,and 2 colts The fille is tiny she is cute but she stays with mom when she does come over she is gentle but doesn't stay long.The 2 boys 1 is bigger younger the other who is smaller.The smaller one loves attention the whole time I was there he did not leave my side all the horses were busy with my girls or husband or went to eat.Even when his mom left to go in the pasture he stayed.He tries to nip but I assume he just want to play and he is a baby and I am sure he will out grow it(AM I right?)He tried to steal my shoe lace and then he grabbed my daughters crock and he did get it off of her foot but dropped before he could leave with it.

So is this any indication on how they will be older character wise?I love the 1 year old girl and the colt from the other farm who is called Blaze !!

Some miniature horses have bigger personalities than others. I wouldn't hold it against the filly at the second farm for sticking with mom, she's following her instincts. Nor the older mare who was more interested in her pasture than you. And as far as the nipping goes, it will NOT stop unless he's made to stop which should be done pronto. Even at that little size, it can leave a huge bruise and hurts like heck. You do not want a horse you own doing this especially if you have kids.

Of course, making that "connection" is what pushes most of us forward into making purchase. I wish you luck and lots of fun in whatever one you decide to go with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horses can change. My gelding was a wild, skittish, dumb colt and has matured into a curious, playful, smart, outgoing pest
default_smile.png

If you are looking for your first mini/s then for the moment I would forget about any colt foals, or even colt yearlings if you found any. Colts do take experienced handling and you would obviously have the gelding them to sort out I would also avoid choosing any foal that is not yet weaned - babies can only have had a certain amount of 'teaching' and no matter how friendly they seem, they still have a very limited experience of 'life'. Also please realise that there are some breeders who will send your new foal to you right at weaning, rather than allowing the foal several weeks to get over being separated from their dam and ensuring that baby is eating properly and not feeling stressed by being weaned too early - often done when there is an inexperienced buyer in the offing! You could be landed with a newly weaned baby, stressing and crying for its Momma, not established on any feed, unsure of its new surroundings and the strange people handing it.

Now the little yearling filly that you liked so much sounds much more suitable. Can you return there and ask to see her lead around (and do it yourself), is she happy to have you quietly check her all over, does she pick up her feet, does she tie up (with someone standing close to her), what is she eating, is she on a dry lot or is there access to grass paddock? Ask lots of questions and dont forget to ask about the papers and to check that they are all up to date and can be transferred into your name.

But there is also the question about a companion for her!! Most horses do a lot better with at least one of their own kind to share their lives with. So, what about the mare that your hubby liked so much? A quiet older mare who is happy to 'ignore' things going on around them, is ideal as a companion to a young filly. A mare has seen more of life, will probably not create a panic if you wanted to move your filly from the field or pen to spend some individual time with her. A mare can provide a good lead for a youngster if you decide to go walkabout together. So if you go back to look at the filly, then have a good look at the mare too (hopefully she is not in foal as breeding is not something you want to get into for quite a few years yet, if ever!). Ask all the right questions about her, and dont worry if she doesn't hit the 'right' button with you - she might suit your hubby and then you would have one each to love and care for.
default_yes.gif

Of course, all this is just my opinion, and whether or not you return to look again at the little filly is up to you. But I am serious about avoiding colts and any foals at this stage.

Good luck - please let us know how you get on - buying your first mini/s is such an exciting adventure.
default_thumbup.gif

I completely agree with Anna C. From what you wrote I felt you needed to look harder at the filly and the mare your hubby liked. Our hearts usually know what we need and they both sound like you would do well with them. A nice calm mare is a lovely thing. She'll teach the young one that there is no need to get excited about little things. I've got a couple mares that dont come to me in the field but if I go up to them to halter or feel for udder development, etc.. They let me do whatever I need to do. I love the mushy ones too, but have no problem with the calm off to the side ones .

Because that's how boards like these work (ask one question get 8 different answers!), I want to add my two cents on the age issue and first time purchasing.

We went from 0 horses to 4 in six months in 2009. We now have six. We had never owned a horse of any stripe before that. We initially bought a 10 month old (yearling) filly and followed that purchase with an 11 yr old mare. The next two horses were both weanlings (just weaned when they were delivered to us).

So, that first six months we had a yearling and two weanlings and a mare. That mare has NEVER bonded to any of us. She is very stand-offish. She is well behaved ONCE you catch her. I've learned to simply "herd" her into an area that I can close then "herd" her further into a stall. Once there, she behaves beautifully and is a properly "lady" in a halter.

I have often regretted not purchasing the two filly yearlings we saw at the same time we saw this mare. We paid the most in terms of purchase price for this mare, and unfortunately, she has also cost the most in terms of medical treatment and other care, not to mention heartache and worry.

I do *whole-heartedly* agree that a young colt is the last thing any new owner should start with. I'm *still* not ready for a colt or stallion!!!

Still others say a gelding is the only way to go for first time owners. Many people I know would rather have a gelding 100 times over than a mare any day because mares ARE moody and can have significant 'tude some days. I can vouch for that
default_yes.gif

If you have the time to work with the young ones, it will never be time wasted. I have purchased, at different times, a filly 4 1/2 mo old., a stallion 1 1/2 yr old, a gelding 15 yr old, and a 5 yr old double reg ASPC/AMHR gelding. The 15 yr old was first and he was a pain to catch and remained that way even after we had other in the pasture with him. Now at 23 he is finally willing to "come in"

The stallion was (now a gelding) is willing to be caught to be taught and very easy to clip etc. but he did nip when he was a stallion.

The 5 yr old --we're still working on him. Since he is a bit higher strung and wasn't worked with when he was younger he went to a trainer and we only have him in the winter. So we're still working to get him to "accept us".

The filly got very sick at 6 months and so was handled a LOT. We had to start an exercise program for her to regain her muscle strength. Whether that was it or whether she is just one that would have been easy to work with we'll never know for sure. However, she is bonded to us in a big way. She jumps, does obstacle, drives, has done Liberty. She'll work and give us 110% (I mean I think she'd work until she dropped if we asked it). She's good for the kids. The only thing I can fault her for is that halter for her is boring! (You have to stand still!) LOL

So lots of work may win over an older horse but a bond that is forged with a young one is, IMHO, a very strong bond.

Thanks everyone for the advice.My first horse was a colt who was just weaned and he was wild ,I did train him myself but took patience.My third horse was a thoroughbred who was 4 and oh my god (I new this when I bought her as the people almost gave her away as the could not handle her)and she was fast,wild and just crazy.I also trained hunting dogs and these are stubborn.I love a good challenge and have the time and patients to work with any animal .Joy thanks for your honest comments much appreciated.It's been 11 years since I had horses so it is all new to me again.

MountainWoman: incredible is a word I often use when talking about our experiences of the last 3 years. It is by far in my top 5 of best things I've ever done in my life. A true dream come true that I never thought was possible.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back