Weird spots & hair loss on mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimoesmom

Reaction score
I started clipping my mini's and a few of them have small spots of hair loss and scaley areas on their face and body. They have also been scratching their butts on the fence alot, and some of their hair is gone around the top of their tails. A few weeks ago I had the vet look at an area of hair loss on one of their necks, I thought maybe it was ringworm, but he said no. I'm not sure what to put on it? He vet said it can take about 6 weeks for the hair to grow back and we have a show in 2 weeks, so now I'm in a panic of what to do!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

sounds like rain rot which is common this time of year. The best thing to do is get the hair off (clip them) and then use MTG or listerine mixed with water or baby oil. Be sure though if you use mtg or baby oil you do not put them in direct sunlight with oil on. There are also other things you can buy for rain rot

Domingo had the same problem. I sprayed him for 3 days with a mixture of listerine and baby oil mixed 50/50, then after that I applied Preparation H to the spots, and I had full hair growth in under 2 weeks.

Domingo had the same problem. I sprayed him for 3 days with a mixture of listerine and baby oil mixed 50/50, then after that I applied Preparation H to the spots, and I had full hair growth in under 2 weeks.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was starting to freak out! I'll try the listerine and baby oil, then did you just put the prep H on each bald spot? How often? Is once a day enough or maybe twice daily? They all seem especially itchy this spring, more than usual. They are trying to shed their winter coats-its been in the 80's this week so I'm sure they're quite toasty under all that hair.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back